Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 04:41 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'm glad to see that you agree with me that atheism does have a political affinity - that affinity being away from the Kingship of Christ.
Since when did Christ have a political affinity? In fact, didn't he (supposedly) say that his kingdom was NOT of this world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 04:43 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
When Christ is again rightfully enthroned as King with a Catholic monarch serving as His vicar, then we'll see how "irrelevant to politics" you think it is.
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:34 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Atheism absolutely does have a political affinity - that being anti-Catholic.

Have you ever met an atheist who believes in Catholic monarchy or Catholic republicanism?
Lol -- I've never met an atheist who spares either one a thought. Of course you come on here pining for the bad old days of the Inquisition and I don't know that it's just atheists that find that ghastly.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:23 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Lol -- I've never met an atheist who spares either one a thought. Of course you come on here pining for the bad old days of the Inquisition and I don't know that it's just atheists that find that ghastly.
Ha, Ha, Hah! Don't you realize they were better than the secular courts? Tomás de Torquemada for President of the United States of America!

Old 06-06-2023, 11:26 PM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Then you and your atheist friends should have no problem acknowledging that Christ is King, and submitting to His rule.
Your anti-Islam political stance is showing.
Your anti-Daoist political stance is showing.
Your anti-Jewish political stance is showing.
Your anti-Buddhist political stance is showing.
Your anti-Protestant political stance is showing.
Your anti-JW political stance is showing.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
While I would assume at atheism would create [at least somewhat] an aversion to theocracy, how did you come to the conclusion that it creates an aversion or monarchy or kingship and an affinity for personal freedom?
Judt a logical guess.

Old 06-07-2023, 12:23 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ha, Ha, Hah! Don't you realize they were better than the secular courts? Tomás de Torquemada for President of the United States of America!
I assume this statement was sarcasm, but from the Wikipedia article on Torquemada:
Quote:
Owing to the widespread use of torture to extract confessions, and advocacy of burning at the stake those deemed guilty, Torquemada's name has become synonymous with cruelty, religious intolerance, and fanaticism. Although torture was included in inquisition manuals from 1252 onward, it is largely absent from trial records, suggesting that while torture was allowed, it was rarely used.[better source needed]

The number of burnings at the stake during Torquemada’s tenure has been estimated as being approximately 2,000
Definitely not better than secular courts, I'd say.

Old 06-07-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I assume this statement was sarcasm, but from the Wikipedia article on Torquemada:
Definitely not better than secular courts, I'd say.
EscalaMike is the one who claimed the Inquisition courts were better than the secular courts and he wants America under a theocracy and a Catholic monarchy, so I was definitely being sarcastic as the emojis indicate.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:17 AM

3,104 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illumined View Post

For your first question women can't be priests because men and women aren't the same.
For her to leave, especially for such a reason, is spiritually very dangerous. The church is headed by Jesus Christ Himself, to be a member of it and walk away is literally walking away from Jesus.
His mom never walked away from Jesus, she walked away from the church's stupid rules. She continues to be with Jesus, but you never thought about it like that.

Men and women are the same, they are all souls. Jesus does not make any difference between them, gender is irrelevant.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:23 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Conforming to your sensibilities is not among my primary motivations in life.
if Christ is King as you say, and 'He' exhorted people to treat others as they would want to be treated, and if you presumably want people to conform to your sensibilities, then I think Christ would have you periodically and paradoxically conform to my atheistic sensibilities...'He' would probably devise a parable about exactly that situation, in fact. An exercise in empathy expansion, mayhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality