Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 07:18 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times

Advertisements

Why are Christians so incapable of answering a simple question about their faith?

Didn't Peter admonish Christians thus:

"Always be ready to give a [logical] defense to anyone who asks you to account for the faith that is within you." 1 Peter 3:15

It seems Christians either know nothing of this command from Peter or are too cowardly to act on it. Look at the quality of answers I have gotten:

"Ignore him"
"Hogwash and horsefeathers!"
"Dude is whacked"

Is there anything more pathetic than a Christian who when asked a simple question is completely impotent to answer?

When God's missionaries desperately need money to spread the gospel of Jesus, why does God allow a fun-seeking hedonist to win the $2 Billion Powerball? Why not a Christian who could do God's work with it?

Shall I have to answer it for them:

Because God doesn't care about Jesus or Christianity or Christians.

Prove me wrong. Give an answer to my simple question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 07:27 PM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The vast majority of Christian are towing the Christian line when they say, "Jesus is prophesied in the Old Testament" and "Jesus is better attested in history than Julius Caesar" and "All the apostles were willing to die for their faith" and "The gospels were written by eyewitnesses to Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection. The point is they are unwittingly spreading propaganda in an effort to lure people into Christianity.

Do you use a friend's Netflix account on the basis he said it was okay to do? You committed a crime, albeit unwittingly. That doesn't absolve you of the penalty the law will impose if you're caught. Good luck trying to convince the judge you didn't know it was a crime.

Christians are doing the same thing.

What's your thoughts about why churchmen added mark 16:18 to the text?
Now you're saying they're "unwittingly"...that's not how your other post sounded at all.

Are you Wayne Morse reincarnated?

Old 04-28-2023, 07:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Miss Hepburn, quick question
Who is the "they" in Mark 16:18 referring to?
What on earth?.... you can't copy paste it?You think I know it by heart or wanna look it up?

Old 04-28-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What on earth?.... you can't copy paste it?You think I know it by heart or wanna look it up?

Sure I'd be glad to:

He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name...they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all. Mark 16:15,18

Who is "they" in those verses referring to?

Old 04-28-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Sure I'd be glad to: He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name...they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all. Mark 16:15,18
(Don't be coy, please...it's too gamey. And it's a waste if time.)

Wow, what a VERSE! Sounds like a promise to me! Got any more?
I don't think I know much about Mark.

Old 04-28-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
(Don't be coy, please...it's too gamey. And it's a waste if time.)

Wow, what a VERSE! Sounds like a promise to me! Got any more?
I don't think I know much about Mark.

Hah! It IS a promise, from Jesus to those who believe in him.

Come on, Miss Hepburn. The whole thing is pretty straightforward. No need to be coy.

"Always be ready to give a [logical] defense to anyone who asks you to account for the faith that is within you." 1 Peter 3:15

Know why Christians won't answer? Because they would have to admit Jesus breaks his promise to protect those who believe in him every time a missionary and his family gets butchered out in the wilds.

Here's the promise again:

“Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name...they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all.

Here's the results:

"Ruimar DePaiva, 42, his wife, Margareth, 37, and their 11-year-old son, Larrison, were killed Dec. 22 at their home in Airai state during an apparent burglary, according to a court affidavit. The DePaiva's 10-year-old daughter was found later on a secluded road by two local residents. The girl told police that she was kidnapped, assaulted and choked then left at the side of the road"

https://www.myplainview.com/news/art...au-8983483.php

God simply doesn't care if Christians are assaulted and murdered. Pretty plain to see, isn't it?

Old 04-29-2023, 04:06 AM

16,666 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Sure I'd be glad to:

He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name...they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all. Mark 16:15,18

Good grief, thrill. Every Bible scholar knows that the last few verses of Mark were added later. Use a little common sense in your rants.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:17 AM

4,085 posts, read 872,849 times
Quote:
Sure I'd be glad to:

Jesus was speaking to his Apostles.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:25 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,236 times
Quote:
I can go along with that, Ruth. Bottom line, the missionary do-gooders should stay out of other people's backyards and stick with people who want them around. But it all goes back to that phony verse Mark 16:18 that corrupt churchmen added, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel".

Why do you think they added a promise that nothing would harm believers in Jesus that they knew Jesus could not keep? Was it to lure people into joining Christianity on the false promise Jesus would protect them from danger if they did join? What other reason could the church men have had for adding such a dumb thing to Mark's gospel?
The passage of Mark 16:9-20 was included because it is in some manuscripts. The earliest citations of it were referenced by some of the early church Fathers. Some manuscripts contain the Longer Ending (Mark 16:9-20). Some contain the Shorter Ending (which is unversed) and some contain both endings. One 4th century manuscript contains a different ending called The Freer Logion, that would begin after Mark 16:14.

Some believe that because of the abrupt ending to Mark at 16:8 that the original ending may have been lost.

So it's possible that Mark's gospel ended at 16:8...or with one of the 3 other endings...or a completely different ending.
Quote:
Sure I'd be glad to:

The "they" is the Apostles and the 72 found in Luke 10:17-19. Compare Mark 16:17-18 with Mt 10:1, Luke 10:19 and Acts 28:3-6.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Good grief, thrill. Every Bible scholar knows that the last few verses of Mark were added later.
Use a little common sense in your rants.
I didn't know that !
But, I really announce I'm NO Bible scholar .
I just see all the positive, loving instructions and am blind to the rest. Christians hate that.
What bothers me more is all the big spaces thrill puts in his posts...so much scrolling...
Sorry, I think I brought that up before...is it for dramatic effect?

What God 'cares' about is WAY, way above my pay grade...and I personally, would never use
the Bible as ANY source for measurement!
The Bible is actually a very weird piece of work...albeit, with diamonds in the rough - pearls beyond measure, actually,
from my experience of applying them
...you could say 'testing them'.

(*Coy was referring to: Who is 'they'...that's like Algebra, 'What is x'? We're adults here.)
My opinion only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality