Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 08:59 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Clarify in you dare, Rob.
Why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2023, 03:36 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Jesus died on the cross as a plan of God to separated people who would put Jesus on the cross and people who will reject sin like putting Jesus on the cross and all other selfish sins and turn to support Jesus ...... where denier of Jesus always like to bring up false claims against God to justify their unbelief

Old 04-21-2023, 07:15 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So why don't the really devout follow in his footsteps? (some actually do in the Philippines...a very catholic culture that is far more rowdy than Thailand's...so presumably disgusting in your eyes).
Who says they don't?

Old 04-21-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
If God ask us to forgive our neighbor without any contrition, sacrifice, or action on their part then why should we expect any less from him? I mean who's the more omniscient and more omnipotent in our relationship with him--us or him? It appears that God demands us to act in a more civil manner than he is capable of acting. Doesn't that make sense to you?
God has already forgiven the collective *us*. That was demonstrated by Christ. His forgiveness is there. He's not holding it back from us.

The problem is that if we don't do anything, we don't achieve anything. We have to act on God's promises and claim a share in Christ's reward. Many (most?) people aren't willing to do this, because it also requires sharing in His sufferings.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:28 AM

We were created to be more than we presently are. That's the issue. Without the work of Christ - and without us actively sharing and participating in His sufferings - it is simply not ontologically possible for us to reclaim what was lost in the Garden.

We were made for supernatural union with God, not natural bliss.

If God had simply forgiven mankind by divine decree and without Christ coming to die, we could never have achieved anything more than natural bliss.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:10 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Jesus said...

John 8:58 - “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.â€

Quote:
My contention (and the contention of a few hundred secular scholars as well) is that the concept of God requiring a blood sacrifice to appease his anger and grant mortals a favor is nothing original. It was very popular at the time of Jesus and thousands of centuries before him so it wouldn't be irrational to the normal mind to ask, "Who stole from who?" the operative word being "normal" of course.

Did the gospel writers steal the idea of Jesus being a blood sacrifice to an angry God from customs and practices that originated thousands of years before Jesus, or did primitive cultures that existed thousands of years before Jesus steal the idea of blood sacrifices to appease their angry gods from Jesus?

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Clarify in you dare, Rob.

Quote:
Why?

Thank you, Rob for demonstrating why it's pointless to try to have an intelligent conversation with a Christian.

Any Christians in here who are NOT terrified to answer the question like Rob:

Did the gospel writers steal the idea of Jesus being a blood sacrifice to an angry God from customs and practices that originated thousands of years before Jesus, or did primitive cultures that existed thousands of years before Jesus steal the idea of blood sacrifices to appease their angry gods from Jesus?

Old 04-21-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Any Christians in here who are NOT terrified to answer the question like Rob:

The similarities are only evidence of the deep-seated gnosis within humanity and the longing humanity has for God.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
God has already forgiven the collective *us*. That was demonstrated by Christ. His forgiveness is there. He's not holding it back from us.

The problem is that if we don't do anything, we don't achieve anything. We have to act on God's promises and claim a share in Christ's reward. Many (most?) people aren't willing to do this, because it also requires sharing in His sufferings.

I don't want to act on God's promises. And I certainly don't want to share in his suffering. What do you think I am, some kind of stupid masochist? Why doesn't God just forgive me like any good human parent would. Lots of parents are much better to their children than God ever thought of being. Lots of parents would die for their children. God doesn't hold a patent on that kind of love. But lots of parents would die for their children even though their kids don't love them. They have God beat by a mile in the love department.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The similarities are only evidence of the deep-seated gnosis within humanity and the longing humanity has for God.

You did answer the question, Mike. You believe that because Jesus said, "I was around before Abraham" that means all primitive cultures who practiced ritual human sacrifice could look into the future and see Jesus being crucified and they said, "We're going to do it like that guy is going to do it 100,000 years from now."

Do you know how patently absurd that is, Mile?

Old 04-21-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I don't want to act on God's promises. And I certainly don't want to share in his suffering. What do you think I am, some kind of stupid masochist?
Then you will be rewarded accordingly and in accord with perfect justice.

Quote:
Why doesn't God just forgive me like any good human parent would. Lots of parents are much better to their children than God ever thought of being. Lots of parents would die for their children. God doesn't hold a patent on that kind of love. But lots of parents would die for their children even though their kids don't love them. They have God beat by a mile in the love department.
You're looking at this like a Protestant. Forgiveness is more than just a legal decree. God's forgiveness is there for the taking. He's not withholding it from you. He invites you to grab ahold of your claim to eternal life. It's rightfully yours if you want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality