Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 12:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

O Arjun, I am seated in the heart of all living entities. I am the beginning, middle, and end of all beings. Ch10 v 20

Hi Oakback. This is Krishna talking to Arjun.
I guess it would be hard for some to think that there could have been someone appear in India centuries
ago presenting himself as Lord...actually I think Vishnu!
Pretty foreign to many.
Hope your eye is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 03:43 PM

84 posts, read 53,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Good idea cb.
I'm going to start with something simple from an old scripture, the Bhagavad Gita - Krishna is talking mostly to a student named Arjuna.
Krishna can be googled.

“He who has let go of hatred who treats all beings with kindness and compassion,
who is always serene, unmoved by pain or pleasure, free of the “I” and “mine,” self-controlled,
firm and patient, his whole mind focused on me —that is the man I love best.”

“There is nothing equal to God, nor is there anything superior to Him.”
Recently, I have been studying maharatanga Krishna (Krishna consciousness) and I have learned some interesting things. For example, criminals are rascals and science is about description.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:53 AM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Default Right action leads to happiness.

From Ramana’s Upadesa Undiyar in Tamil. Translated by Michael James.
Verse 12.
My own interpretation based on text:
Mind and Breath are both endowed with certain power. Mind with emotions and awareness, and breath with energy and action. The two are branches with one origin, like a switch that controls both the light and the fan. Turning one off turns the other also off. Call it the Will.
Controlling either the mind or breath will result in the submission and quietening of the other. A quietened mind leads to introspection and choosing of the right action. Right action leads to peace of mind. The mind that is focused on this Self-knowledge will always return to its natural state of happiness and contentment.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:26 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Since this is a discussion on Hindu Thought ...
Here is a 'thought' not talked about all that much in some other religions.

*Bliss*

Open to comments... I will start by saying it is a sacred word to me. A friend sometimes will say,
" I was blissed out today."
I have not said anything to her...but I WANT to say, "Really? You were in Bliss?" (But I don't.)
I know what Bliss is...oh my, do I...it is a Gift extraordinaire. I could attempt to describe it...
but, won't here...
Bliss is partnered with Insights, Revelations, such Wisdom revealed at the same time!
Reality is opened to you.
I can say that much. It is a wonderful thing that is inherent with Hinduism.

Old 07-24-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Since this is a discussion on Hindu Thought ...
Here is a 'thought' not talked about all that much in some other religions.

*Bliss*

Open to comments... I will start by saying it is a sacred word to me. A friend sometimes will say,
" I was blissed out today."
I have not said anything to her...but I WANT to say, "Really? You were in Bliss?" (But I don't.)
I know what Bliss is...oh my, do I...it is a Gift extraordinaire. I could attempt to describe it...
but, won't here...
Bliss is partnered with Insights, Revelations, such Wisdom revealed at the same time!
Reality is opened to you.
I can say that much. It is a wonderful thing that is inherent with Hinduism.

What do think of when you think of Bliss as related to Hindu thought?
What is conveyed in the scriptures is the sense of completeness, fullness, contentment. Not experienced fleetingly but as a permanent state of being. Not derived from anything outside of the self, but as Self.

Old 07-25-2023, 10:38 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Whatever spiritual " bliss" I have experienced, has most definitely derived from outside of self.

Perhaps it's akin to revelation. A eureka moment so to speak.

An awareness or insight that was previously foreign.
As if it was provided to me.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Whatever spiritual " bliss" I have experienced, has most definitely derived from outside of self.

Perhaps it's akin to revelation. A eureka moment so to speak.

An awareness or insight that was previously foreign.
As if it was provided to me.
Does a revelation occur within or outside of us? Is the revelation revealing what was already within? It could no doubt occur due to an outside stimuli - a reading, a teaching, contemplation, or something inexplicable as well, grace perhaps. But what is revealed always existed within. And THAT is the true Self within.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:23 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Does a revelation occur within or outside of us? Is the revelation revealing what was already within? It could no doubt occur due to an outside stimuli - a reading, a teaching, contemplation, or something inexplicable as well, grace perhaps. But what is revealed always existed within. And THAT is the true Self within.
This is a fundamental difference in our beliefs.

I believe in a personal God that interacts with His creation..

As such, I believe when I have experienced previously unknown insight, I attribute it to external influence.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
This is a fundamental difference in our beliefs.

I believe in a personal God that interacts with His creation..

As such, I believe when I have experienced previously unknown insight, I attribute it to external influence.
Ok, that works for me as well. That is what prayer and worship is all about, seeking grace, surrendering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality