Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 09:39 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,061,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
This applies to both atheists and Christians.

When you find evidence that Jesus existed or did not exist, how do you do it?

Here's why I ask this question.

Some people find evidence, evaluate it, then come to a conclusion. The evaluation part is where things can get twisted. A person can evaluate it naturally meaning they see the evidence "as is". "As is" meaning they have no biases. If everything matches up, they make a conclusion. They don't say "here's evidence of that Jesus exists. Let's go find more!". They say "here's evidence that Jesus could possibly exist. let's go find other things that we can find". The goal goes from "let's find everything we can find to prove Jesus exists" to "let's find everything we can to learn about what really happened". get what I'm saying? the goal is to find the truth whatever the truth may be. the goal is not to find evidence that proves or justifies what they think is the truth.

Oftentimes, there is a bias. Christians will find reasons to believe that the evidence they found or read about proves Jesus truly exists. Atheists will find reasons to believe that the evidence they found or read about proves Jesus does not exist.

I've seen a couple of people like this on this forum. They are determined to prove that Jesus does not exist. They find ways to prove that Jesus does not exist. If evidence exists or if there is a reason to believe Jesus does not exist, they will find it. It is their mission in life. Same applies to Christians as well. Problem with this is....when have a bias, it bends your judgement a bit. If you lean a certain way, your focus is aimed at a single target but your vision is a little bit distorted.
We have 4 Gospels, Acts, several letters to the churches, and the history of the church itself. There is more evidence for Jesus than Julius Caesar. The question is if an atheist WANTS to accept it. And if they've made up their mind not to, there is nothing we can do to convince them otherwise.

Look at some of the usual suspects that constantly post God-hating posts here. They've been shown, but they choose to ignore the evidence given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 10:09 AM

16,814 posts, read 5,020,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
We have 4 Gospels, Acts, several letters to the churches, and the history of the church itself. There is more evidence for Jesus than Julius Caesar.
Julius Caesar wrote a book, and had coins produced with his head on, he built things, we even use the calendar he invented, and historians of his time wrote about him. We have none of that for Jesus.

Quote:
The question is if an atheist WANTS to accept it. And if they've made up their mind not to, there is nothing we can do to convince them otherwise.
Or you do not have the evidence, and you have made up your minds to ignore the evidence that your evidence is very bad.

Quote:
Look at some of the usual suspects that constantly post God-hating posts here. They've been shown, but they choose to ignore the evidence given.
Lol, God hating ad hominem from the usual suspect. I have shown you the evidence in the Bible itself, but you have to ignore that.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:12 AM

16,814 posts, read 5,020,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Why? I mean I guess it makes sense if you're weak. But what about the strong? Why should the strong be good to other people?
Because the strong still need others, and it is good to be nice.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:23 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,395,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
This applies to both atheists and Christians.

When you find evidence that Jesus existed or did not exist, how do you do it?

Here's why I ask this question.

Some people find evidence, evaluate it, then come to a conclusion. The evaluation part is where things can get twisted. A person can evaluate it naturally meaning they see the evidence "as is". "As is" meaning they have no biases. If everything matches up, they make a conclusion. They don't say "here's evidence of that Jesus exists. Let's go find more!". They say "here's evidence that Jesus could possibly exist. let's go find other things that we can find". The goal goes from "let's find everything we can find to prove Jesus exists" to "let's find everything we can to learn about what really happened". get what I'm saying? the goal is to find the truth whatever the truth may be. the goal is not to find evidence that proves or justifies what they think is the truth.

Oftentimes, there is a bias. Christians will find reasons to believe that the evidence they found or read about proves Jesus truly exists. Atheists will find reasons to believe that the evidence they found or read about proves Jesus does not exist.

I've seen a couple of people like this on this forum. They are determined to prove that Jesus does not exist. They find ways to prove that Jesus does not exist. If evidence exists or if there is a reason to believe Jesus does not exist, they will find it. It is their mission in life. Same applies to Christians as well. Problem with this is....when have a bias, it bends your judgement a bit. If you lean a certain way, your focus is aimed at a single target but your vision is a little bit distorted.
There is Living evidence, right where Jesus said He would be. (John 14:23)
Too bad so few make the effort to look.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:40 AM

43,315 posts, read 18,428,133 times
Quote:
We have 4 Gospels, Acts, several letters to the churches, and the history of the church itself. There is more evidence for Jesus than Julius Caesar. The question is if an atheist WANTS to accept it. And if they've made up their mind not to, there is nothing we can do to convince them otherwise.

The Bible is not a science book nor a history book. It is a book of stories.
Archeology has been used to verify some truths and also uncover changes made to it over time.

I do think the Bible is important works but I also do not think it's 100% factual.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:42 AM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
There is Living evidence, right where Jesus said He would be. (John 14:23)
Too bad so few make the effort to look.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,061,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The Bible is not a science book nor a history book. It is a book of stories.
Archeology has been used to verify some truths and also uncover changes made to it over time.

I do think the Bible is important works but I also do not think it's 100% factual.
Much of it is historical, as it presents itself. And there is no reason to disbelieve it.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:00 AM

50,987 posts, read 24,484,993 times
Quote:
And I expected a non-answer from you.
To me, the answer is so simple I didn't think I'd have to type it -- the Golden Rule, which is common in many cultures (including some that pre-date christianity). I know...it can be confusing to understand all those things that are taught in...kindergarten.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:01 AM

50,987 posts, read 24,484,993 times
Quote:
None of this has anything to do with what I asked, which is fine because it's very off-topic anyway.
Well, you're complicit in leading things off-topic.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:06 PM

43,315 posts, read 18,428,133 times
Quote:
Much of it is historical, as it presents itself. And there is no reason to disbelieve it.
That is called blind faith. Iraneus was big on that..do not question; just believe what we tell you.
If you question you are a heretic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality