Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 07:48 PM

47,049 posts, read 26,155,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
So, if archaeology has confirmed that 83 'real people' as mentioned in the Bible actually existed thereby giving some authenticity to the Bible, isn't that a pretty good number for starters?
Depends on what part of the Bible we're talking about. Was there a governor Quirinius of Judea? Sure. Was there a young rabbi named Yeshua who caused all sorts of trouble in Jerusalem and ended up getting executed, leading to his followers starting a doomsday cult that spread like wildfire? Why not. Jerusalem was loaded with prophets and mystics. Was this Yeshua the Messiah, son of God and did he perform supernatural miracles? Now we're going to need some pretty extraordinary evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 09:30 PM

51,158 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That's not how archeology works. Finding artifacts that validate people doesn't validate the entire Bible and all stories; only that person
I would correct that to say: 'Finding artifacts that validate people doesn't validate the entire Bible and all stories; and not even stories about that person; it just validates the person existed'

Old 04-03-2023, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would correct that to say: 'Finding artifacts that validate people doesn't validate the entire Bible and all stories; and not even stories about that person; it just validates the person existed'
Right? If a colleague says his in-laws are visiting from Milwaukee and staying in his guestroom over the week-end, fair. If he says they're visiting from the rings of Saturn and traveled by interplanetary tandem bicycle, I may want some evidence. And neither the existence of his guestroom nor of the in-laws in question will support the latter claim.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:00 AM

29,580 posts, read 9,813,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Right? If a colleague says his in-laws are visiting from Milwaukee and staying in his guestroom over the week-end, fair. If he says they're visiting from the rings of Saturn and traveled by interplanetary tandem bicycle, I may want some evidence. And neither the existence of his guestroom nor of the in-laws in question will support the latter claim.
Those from Saturn sound a little like some of my in-laws...

Old 04-04-2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Those from Saturn sound a little like some of my in-laws...
On re-reading, that did strike a little close to home. I mean - it would explain SO much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality