Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 10:31 AM

43,512 posts, read 18,592,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There are lots of real people mentioned in the Book of Mormon too. Does that mean Mormonism is true?
the Bible, especially the Old Testament, is much, much older than the Book of Mormons.

Very little exists from that time and when something is found that matches up to Biblical people that's something.

If nothing else view it from an archeological standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 11:48 AM

51,133 posts, read 24,617,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What's not to believe?
Well, lots...as with any religion.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
the Bible, especially the Old Testament, is much, much older than the Book of Mormons.

Very little exists from that time and when something is found that matches up to Biblical people that's something.

It's something...but it's not much.

The reason I say that is that let's say that Lot's wife was confirmed as being real. Okay. She was real. So what? What did she think? What did she say? What did she do? Archaeology is not going to answer those questions very well at all.

I can prove to you on paper that I was born on August 22, 1949. That I graduated from high school in 1968. When my 4 college degrees were conferred. Etc. But that doesn't really tell us much. about 73 years of living.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:51 PM

43,512 posts, read 18,592,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's something...but it's not much.

The reason I say that is that let's say that Lot's wife was confirmed as being real. Okay. She was real. So what? What did she think? What did she say? What did she do? Archaeology is not going to answer those questions very well at all.

I can prove to you on paper that I was born on August 22, 1949. That I graduated from high school in 1968. When my 4 college degrees were conferred. Etc. But that doesn't really tell us much. about 73 years of living.
Well you are looking for more than what archeology provides.

All this discovery is just "oh look, he really did exist". That's about it.
And you're a former educator so you should know that.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Well you are looking for more than what archeology provides.

All this discovery is just "oh look, he really did exist". That's about it.
And you're a former educator so you should know that.
Yes, that's exactly my point. And I ask again: so what?

Old 03-31-2023, 07:30 AM

1,380 posts, read 676,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No there is not. There are images about a wheel shaped object taken from different angles, but it is unlikely to be a chariot after 3000 years. And the alleged land bridge near where this object was found does not exist, as can be verified using Google Earth.
I'm sure whoever discovered the chariot thought the same thing and further investigation was done. I doubt highly trained and experienced archaeologists would say "look what I found! it looks like a boat from 2000 years ago!" I'm sure they analyze what they found and do some rigorous testing to ensure what they discovered is something genuine. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure there are ways to see how old an object is. I'm also sure that after so much time has passed, the environment around an object will change. A tree that once stood 500 years ago may have been removed and been replaced by a barn.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:11 AM

16,860 posts, read 5,048,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I'm sure whoever discovered the chariot thought the same thing and further investigation was done. I doubt highly trained and experienced archaeologists would say "look what I found! it looks like a boat from 2000 years ago!" I'm sure they analyze what they found and do some rigorous testing to ensure what they discovered is something genuine. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure there are ways to see how old an object is.
Do you know who Ron Wyatt was? They did no testing, but I will leave you to investigate this if you want as I need to finish a project so I can spend more time with my family this weekend.

Quote:
I'm also sure that after so much time has passed, the environment around an object will change. A tree that once stood 500 years ago may have been removed and been replaced by a barn.
If you use Google Earth, you can see there is no land bridge at Nuweiba, where the wheels are said to be, and the distance below the water is 700 meters or more.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:26 AM

1,380 posts, read 676,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Do you know who Ron Wyatt was? They did no testing, but I will leave you to investigate this if you want as I need to finish a project so I can spend more time with my family this weekend.

If you use Google Earth, you can see there is no land bridge at Nuweiba, where the wheels are said to be, and the distance below the water is 700 meters or more.
No, I don't know who Ron Wyatt is but I do know that there are many archaeologists that exist, some may be better than others.

I did some quick research. So this pertains to Moses crossing the Red Sea when the Isrealites escaped the Egyptians in Exodus. My question is: who said there was a land bridge? As far as I know, the sea parted ways, at least in the story. And another question: how much of the story of Moses should be taken literally?

Old 03-31-2023, 09:48 AM

29,576 posts, read 9,808,943 times
Quote:

Book of Mormons.

I like that!

Old 03-31-2023, 10:05 AM

16,860 posts, read 5,048,852 times
Quote:
No, I don't know who Ron Wyatt is but I do know that there are many archaeologists that exist, some may be better than others.

I did some quick research. So this pertains to Moses crossing the Red Sea when the Isrealites escaped the Egyptians in Exodus. My question is: who said there was a land bridge? As far as I know, the sea parted ways, at least in the story.
Ron Wyatt was a fraud who claimed to find many sites mentioned in the Bible. The land bridge claim was his, but it does not exist.

Quote:
And another question: how much of the story of Moses should be taken literally?
I believe the historical consensus is that he did not exist, but as this is the R&S forum, no doubt other people will have different ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality