Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 03:30 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times

Advertisements

If the person had repented to Jesus than they would have the prayers of Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit would have collected the spirit and soul of that person and brought to a place God prepared for them................ If the person ignored God and probably did not even know they were supposed to repent To Jesus of sin and turn away from sin then after they did pass from this world then they would be separated from God and would now be an enemy of God with no hope in the afterlife and Holy angel of God would also collect their spirit and soul to a place prepared for them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 04:06 AM

4,859 posts, read 450,201 times
What physically happens? we all know the answer to that. Beyond that, faith provides hope and assurance, but specifics?
https://youtu.be/5oiiOesYrGo
"We'll understand it all, by and by."

....Or NOT. "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

Even if there is no "hereafter," my reputation and legacy are important. Maybe THAT'S what "Eternal Life" is. Because this life MATTERS. Whom did I help? Was I selfish, uncaring? Or did I see myself in the face of The Other, and move to assist him or her? The life of Jesus was abouut compassion and self-sacrifice. If I do my best to imitate HIM, I'm satisfied.

But that's a false frame around the question, really. Because Christian belief is always in a context of the believing COMMUNITY. We do not "get saved" in isolation.

Old 03-02-2023, 05:25 AM

412 posts, read 137,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
The Catholic Bible is a Christian Bible. Unless you're from an ancient form of Christianity like the Copts, Ethiopians, Eastern Orthodox, etc...I'm sorry to inform you that your version of Christianity probably has its roots in Catholicism and therefore you're the ones who took the books out, not vice versa. I mean, you can look at the wayward ways of your parents and grandparents and "reform" your own life choices...but they're still your ancestors, even if you disown them.
What is my version of Christianity?

Old 03-02-2023, 09:06 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Thanks for all of the responses. The real answer is that no one truly knows. But now I am more confused. When the Bible says that the graves will be emptied, that does not seem rational. Our physical bodies are dead. Why would they be resurrected? No one will want their 80 or 90 year old dead body back. And where are every dead body since the beginning of time going to go? If they go to heaven in their dead, rotted condition, then Heaven would be one scary place. So, is the Bible referring to our soul being asleep until it’s resurrection?

If so, that does not make sense. How would that explain spirits speaking through mediums? Now, I a, Catholic and am not supposed to believe in that or ever go to a psychic or medium. But, I know one and he is spot on every time with everyone who ever saw him. My sister went to him a year after her husband died suddenly. He told her that her husband said thank you to the friend who dropped a cigar in his casket at the funeral. Now, there is no way this medium could research that. That information came from somewhere. That means, at least to me, that the spirit, or energy, lives on. I imagine that some can claim that spirits get their messages from Satan. Even if that is true, the information had to have Ben retrieved from my sister’s husband, whose soul could not possibly be asleep.

As a Catholic, I have so many questions about things. I am almost worried about questioning anything because that shows doubt in my faith. I will start another thread about another matter I am concerned about. I would like to hear any thoughts I have on if they feel that it is the body or the soul that sleeps until the resurrection.

Old 03-02-2023, 10:22 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am Catholic. Not super religious but go to church weekly and follow most of it. Quick question. I thought the Bible states that after death, we sleep until Jesus returns and then all of the dead will rise and go to heaven (or hell). Today, I was at a funeral mass. The priest said that the deceased was met by angels and is now in heaven. That is not what I thought the Bible says. Do they say it to comfort the family? Did the priest get it wrong? Is there another contradictory statement that says what the priest said?
No, the Bible doesn't teach soul sleep which is the idea that the soul sleeps or ceases to exist until the resurrection. The term 'sleep' is simply a metaphor for physical death. In the Bible physical death is the separation of the soul from the body. The body goes into the grave and the soul goes to its afterlife destination. In the New Testament book of Revelation, in chapters 6 and 7 the writer, John, sees Tribulational martyrs in heaven fully conscious, not asleep. The apostle Paul stated his desire to depart and be with the Lord. The Lord is in heaven, not in a grave. See both 2 Corinthians 5:8 and Philippians 1:23.

Old 03-02-2023, 10:27 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the responses. The real answer is that no one truly knows. But now I am more confused. When the Bible says that the graves will be emptied, that does not seem rational. Our physical bodies are dead. Why would they be resurrected? No one will want their 80 or 90 year old dead body back. And where are every dead body since the beginning of time going to go? If they go to heaven in their dead, rotted condition, then Heaven would be one scary place. So, is the Bible referring to our soul being asleep until it’s resurrection?

If so, that does not make sense. How would that explain spirits speaking through mediums? Now, I a, Catholic and am not supposed to believe in that or ever go to a psychic or medium. But, I know one and he is spot on every time with everyone who ever saw him. My sister went to him a year after her husband died suddenly. He told her that her husband said thank you to the friend who dropped a cigar in his casket at the funeral. Now, there is no way this medium could research that. That information came from somewhere. That means, at least to me, that the spirit, or energy, lives on. I imagine that some can claim that spirits get their messages from Satan. Even if that is true, the information had to have Ben retrieved from my sister’s husband, whose soul could not possibly be asleep.

As a Catholic, I have so many questions about things. I am almost worried about questioning anything because that shows doubt in my faith. I will start another thread about another matter I am concerned about. I would like to hear any thoughts I have on if they feel that it is the body or the soul that sleeps until the resurrection.
You misunderstand what resurrection is. Just as in the Bible Jesus was resurrected, not in his mortal body, but in an immortal and imperishable body, so will all believers when resurrected.

My impression is that you are not very familiar with the Bible.

Old 03-02-2023, 11:00 AM

1,339 posts, read 649,340 times
Quote:

I'm assuming you are referring to Tyler Henry? The thing about mediums and I've never seen or heard anyone ask this is....how does the medium know that the spirit or energy they are communicating with is the spirit or energy of the deceased loved one? What happens if they are communicating with an evil spirit disguising themselves as the loved one?

I don't know what happens once we die, but logic would say that "something" happens. Our spirit or soul or whatever goes somewhere.

Old 03-02-2023, 11:21 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
I am Catholic. Not super religious but go to church weekly and follow most of it. Quick question. I thought the Bible states that after death, we sleep until Jesus returns and then all of the dead will rise and go to heaven (or hell). Today, I was at a funeral mass. The priest said that the deceased was met by angels and is now in heaven. That is not what I thought the Bible says. Do they say it to comfort the family? Did the priest get it wrong? Is there another contradictory statement that says what the priest said?
Things are a bit different over on the other side.
Remember when Jesus took Peter John and James up a mountain - and His appearance changed and was talking with Moses and Elijah, (Luke 9:30)
a couple of ''dead'' guys, by 'man's reckoning'?

Several places in scripture it reminds us to put away thinking like man, and to put on the Mind of Christ.
Christ makes some pretty amazing promises for those who chose to do so, and follow Him!

Last edited by CCCyou; 03-02-2023 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-02-2023, 11:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I'm thinking you might be looking at the Bible too literally. It's a book of stories meant to convey situations in life, and give lessons on what one can do to live a God filled life. After life is after.

Old 03-02-2023, 12:04 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I'd rely on God, scripture, philosophers, and nature for the answers (not churches, priests, average Joes, Internet forums, radio, etc.) The masses and modern media are dumber than ever. Don't hang out with turkeys when you can soar with birds.

The approaches and avenues taken as important as the questions themselves.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-02-2023 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality