Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 11:58 PM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Or rather, that reality is ONLY mathematical.
Disagreeing with the PhD? I hope you are not allergic to straw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 06:28 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Because you asserting contradictory things is a better method than mathematics?
Strawman. Contradiction is in your mind.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:39 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
whether something has significance and meaning to a person is not mathematics.
it is interpretation.

same goes for whether a person denies there is meaning and significance when something happens.
that too is interpretation.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:23 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Or rather, that reality is ONLY mathematical.

After all, we can't solve an emotional intimate relational problem with some math equation.

NONE of Einstein's math/science 'theories' are going to help me decide as to whether or not I should/shouldn't sleep with a certain man on a first date.

Life IS about relationships. Relationships to math...to science...to other people...and to God.

The first two don't relate to the last two.
Reading this comment and some of the others recently posted in this thread remind me of the book I'm almost finished reading, about Leonardo da Vinci. What an amazing person. So far "ahead of his time." The book tells of how Leonardo was not one to accept past beliefs or printed versions of what explained all that Leonardo questioned about the world that surrounds us. He felt observation, sound reason and distilling truth from untruths was something he had to do himself.

During a time when blaspheme could cause people to be put to death, for example, Leonardo questioned how it could be that sea shells and fossils of sea creatures could be found up in the mountains. He blatantly let it be known that "the Bible was wrong." It was not because of a great flood. He came to this conclusion by evaluating the clues he could find and by way of sound reason, he was able to discover what at the time was totally misunderstood. As the book explains, had Leonardo been one to publish so many of his findings (about anatomy, meteorology, light, proportions, construction, geometry, even why the sky is blue, he would have been known as the "father" of these discoveries rather than the others who came to the same conclusions centuries later.

Something like Mystic...

Leonardo was gay, so he didn't delve into when a woman should sleep with a man, but about being gay he was also something of a maverick, because about that too, he didn't concern himself with social norms. When at that time being a homosexual could also bring significant "misfortune" for gay men, Leonardo was not afraid to let his sexual preference be known and made no apologies about it.

My kind of guy! (Though I prefer women)...

Old 02-28-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Synchronicity is the term that describes a "meaningful" coincidence that cannot be described by math
My sister loves to use that term...

The fact that something can happen for no reason intended by anyone or anything is not necessarily something that need or can be proven with math. Though I know of no occurrence that has actually happened that did not or does not have a probability of happening.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Reality is NOT mathematical. Mink. Unfortunately, too few people know enough about mathematics to understand what it is and what it is not.
So true...

Just like there are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is interpretation.

same goes for whether a person denies there is meaning and significance when something happens.
Seems we're mixing "apples and oranges" here again, or perhaps just another case of talking about two very different things...

The significance or meaning of something to anyone is a personal matter. Yes. Subjective and in no way is math required. Unless of course the subject is a mathematical one. There are people, for example, who find a good amount of significance and meaning in mathematical principles, concepts and proofs.

If it's meaning of this kind, then yes of course...

If on the other hand the focus is to determine or establish what causes something to happen, then we're talking about a very different mental process for which math is often relied upon. At least in part.

Why is the sky blue, for example? Why do objects of different weight fall at the same rate? What causes a rainbow?

If one wants to express personal significance or meaning about any such things, then of course there need not be any agreement, or expectation of agreement. If on the other hand the quest is to know the correct answer to questions like these, then the answer is not a function of subjective interpretations.

As for whether a woman should sleep with a certain man on the first date, there may be a way to figure an answer mathematically, but to my knowledge that equation has not been discovered as of yet...

Old 02-28-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is interpretation.

Correct, and I have agreed with you on this previously.

The coincidence (probability) is mathematical, whether there is meaning is not.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:38 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Correct, and I have agreed with you on this previously.
The coincidence (probability) is mathematical, whether there is meaning is not.
mathematics and probability, is not the topic of this thread.
meaning and interpretation of events happening in our lives, is the topic of this thread.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Strawman. Contradiction is in your mind.
Assertion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality