Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 05:38 AM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I mainly go to church to help my wife look after the kids when she's up front playing the organ. I dont really share those beliefs. So in your opinion is it rude to bring a novel to read in church? I look around and often see people who supposedly are believers scrolling through their cell phones. What'da think, would that be bad form/etiquette?
This is a joke, right? You're having to ask the advice of others for what should be obvious?

But, since you asked, either stay home or go to church and leave the damned book behind for an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 06:22 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
LOL, I thought this was a joke question!
On their phones in church? Now that is bad form.
If it would be rude doing that at your wife's family gathering ...
I'd say it's rude their, also.
Tho, it would be nice for you at both places!
I use my phone in church as my Bible. Others do the same.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:27 AM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I use my phone in church as my Bible. Others do the same.
Why not? May as well use this addiction of the masses for something useful. Am I the only one left standing who refuses to own one?

Old 12-19-2022, 06:38 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
Quote:
I mainly go to church to help my wife look after the kids when she's up front playing the organ. I dont really share those beliefs. So in your opinion is it rude to bring a novel to read in church? I look around and often see people who supposedly are believers scrolling through their cell phones. What'da think, would that be bad form/etiquette?
How is reading a novel helping to 'look after the kids'?
Stay home and actually look after them or take them out and actively do something nice with them.
What a great memory for them...
"When we were kids, while our Mom went to church, we would do fun stuff with our Dad".

Old 12-19-2022, 06:46 AM

573 posts, read 260,227 times
Why didn't i think of this...all them years in the Pew.... listening to that boring Preacher!

Old 12-19-2022, 09:31 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,236 times
Quote:
I kept coming back to the thread off and on yesterday, wrestling with how to respond.

First of all, yes, it is rude to bring a novel to read during services. And second, yes, there are probably believers there who scrolling through their cell phones during services. I go to a Catholic church, and I've seen people do this.

But I also realized that they were simply following along with what passages the priest/deacon was reading. In those cases, there was no disrespect there. I've also seen small children (3-5 years old) using mommy's cell phone to entertain themselves (no sound, of course). Again, no disrespect.

In all honesty, I think you need to get real with yourself about this first, and then have a pow wow with your wife.

I can understand that you may see some 'good' in what you're doing. Being there, to support your wife, in her own beliefs, as she shares her talent (playing the organ) with the congregation. On the other hand, you really don't want to be there, listening to the preacher, and/or otherwise participating (and yes, listening/reading along is participating!) As Cruithne said a few posts above, in so many words, if you're reading a novel, you're not really 'looking after the kids'.

So, the first question is, why are you there in the first place?

Second part of this long-winded post is about your wife. I'm pretty sure she feels good about having the whole family behind her...even knowing that her husband really isn't into this. Maybe in her own way, she's hoping that something the preacher says will rub off on you. Or, that she feels the kids 'need' exposure to this at an early age. Or both. Or none of the above.

So, the second question is, why does SHE want you there?

It's pretty clear that you can 'look after the kids' at home, or somewhere else besides services.

If you were giving a speech on something that you believed was important, how would you feel if you knew that someone was in the room, reading a novel, instead of listening to your speech?

Old 12-19-2022, 09:36 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Why not? May as well use this addiction of the masses for something useful. Am I the only one left standing who refuses to own one?
It gives me great satisfaction to know it irritates you.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:26 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
You haven't met the other two?

Old 12-19-2022, 12:43 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
I wouldn't consider it rude. I've been in some really lacking churches, where something substantial to read is a big plus over what there is to listen to.

Let freedom ring. Do what makes sense to you. Others should be focusing on themselves and their priorities, and not be busybodies and obsessed with what others are doing.

If people are sticking buttons out there to be pushed so they can be offended, go ahead and push them.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:48 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I wouldn't consider it rude. I've been in some really lacking churches, where something substantial to read is a big plus over what there is to listen to.

Let freedom ring. Do what makes sense to you. Others should be focusing on themselves and their priorities, and not be busybodies and obsessed with what others are doing.

If people are sticking buttons out there to be pushed so they can be offended, go ahead and push them.
It's distracting (with cell phones), and is why some of us have pretty much stopped going to movie theaters. As I used to tell 12 year olds, "There's a time and place for everything. This is not the time nor the place".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality