Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 09:41 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

I recall hearing glossalalia referred to as "ecstatic speech" and indeed much of pentecostal practice is designed to stir up religious ecstasy. They just don't like to use that adjective because to some it has sexual overtones. A more dignified term is "peak experiences" or "transcendence (of the mundane human condition)" which can also include non-pentecostal and even not strictly Christian religious experiences such as a sense of profound non-duality / oneness with existence, the more mystical side of Christianity that results in hard to describe profound-seeming experiences that can be transformative and direction-changing.

All of this is part and parcel of people seeking real change and transformation and transcendence of various kinds. The staid predictability of many Christian churches is insufficient for them. That is why pentecostals can get somewhere by claiming that "god moves miraculously in today's world" just as he did "back in the day".

My own fundamentalist group was very wary of this kind of thing because of the potential for "deception". We flattered ourselves to imagine that we were immune to being deceived or merely mistaken about anything because we had "the written Word of God" and claimed it was simple to understand at face value. Our official teaching was that "signs and wonders" were validation of teaching in an era before "the canon of scripture was closed", after which, miracles were no longer needed and religious faith was the expectation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 11:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What can be gained from a Speaking in Tongues event?
What can be gained Praying in Tongues privately? Which is all I know.
Healing, actual healing...of myself. ( pretty shocking and humbling, no one around.)
Poise, confidance and peace before having to speak in front of people.
Answers to puzzling issues in my life...should I buy this house or not?
How should I approach or handle a situation.
So, clarity of mind.
Again, very humbling and full of Grace.

Old 11-27-2022, 11:58 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If you're asking about the "twenty years ago" part I have no idea. The modern pentecostal movement traces back to the Azusa Street revival of 1906-1915. The charismatic movement is more a 1970s thing where people practiced similar things inside of non-pentecostal denominations. Such denominations (sometimes barely) tolerated this kind of thing because it brought in a different demographic of new converts. It also sometimes went hand-in-hand with other trends; for example Catholic charismatics tended to be associated with the informal mass involving guitars and folk-music which was intensely relatable to young people of the day.
Yes, I was asking about the "twenty years ago" part. I know the other information. I have been speaking in tongues for almost 40 years.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:47 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Yes, I was asking about the "twenty years ago" part. I know the other information. I have been speaking in tongues for almost 40 years.
So, if you have been speaking in tongues for that long, you may be able to tell us or comment on, or answer some of the issues I raised in the OP? Can you ? Can you bring it on whenever you need to? Are the sounds a language known to man? Why is English not brought out ? Maybe some philosophy perhaps? That would be more "useful" to the others in the group.

Some people may recognize this as a partial raising of the kundalini, in a religious setting perhaps? Particularly when the effects stay with the person maybe? I used to work with a woman who said she spontaneously started to be able to speak a foreign language so maybe this is what she was referring to? Not sure whether it was true or not but thats what she claimed.

Old 11-27-2022, 09:17 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
As a complete outsider of this, (since my childhood church did not have this phenomena) my understanding of it is that, it is the Holy Spirit filling the person and causing them to express themselves in sounds without any limitation.

Someone looking at this phenomena for the first time might think it is just a babble of sound, but is there any meaning in it for others?
What is the point of it?
What can the person doing the Speaking expect from the other members of the church?
Is it a special even which is talked about in the church for weeks afterwards? Does it make a kind-of celebrity?
Not trying to offend anyone but IMO, that’s a total fraudulent act, that happens only in front of the camera and audience. Why don’t these preachers and pastors get into that trans and connect with the unseen entity when they are all alone in the homes? Why it has to happen in front of people only?

For fun and laughter, I sometimes watch the one, done by T.D Jakes. His acting and drama is hilarious.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
... that happens only in front of the camera and audience. Why don’t these preachers and pastors get into that trance and connect with the unseen entity when they are all alone in the homes? Why it has to happen in front of people only?
Why do you think it never happens in private? I knew of people in my Christian days who practiced speaking in tongues privately. I wasn't pentecostal myself but knew people who were and who found the practice centering and meaningful. You also talk as if only preachers do it. They teach and encourage the laity to do it.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:28 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Oh my, yet again a topic comes up that I'm reluctant to participate in because I may just come across as an arrogant know-it-all. However, this IS one of those subjects that I have studied long and hard so I may as well join in.

Years ago, I had husband and wife friends who spoke 'tongues' fluently. They were taught to do so by a charismatic pastor. These friends were the real McCoy ...they could keep up with and hold their own with all the other 'real McCoy fakers' in church. They eventually wised up and the only time they might - and only then MIGHT - display this ability to others was to show just how fake the whole thing was and is IF asked.

As has already been mentioned, 'Bible tongues' are actual languages ...not babble. I speak just one 'tongue' ...English. I have a friend from Denmark who can speak in at least two 'tongues' ...Danish and English. Another friend, the 'tongues' of English and Spanish. Someone else I know speaks some Klingon, yep, apparently from some Klingon Star Trek Dictionary. Now THAT may go down well as a legit 'tongue' in a Pentecostal church.

Anyway, biblical tongues = known languages. Anything else that cannot be PROVEN to be a language we need to err on the side of caution and call it 'babble'. If others prefer to be fooled or don't care one way or the other, then, of course, that's their prerogative.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Why do you think it never happens in private? I knew of people in my Christian days who practiced speaking in tongues privately. I wasn't pentecostal myself but knew people who were and who found the practice centering and meaningful. You also talk as if only preachers do it. They teach and encourage the laity to do it.
There are psychological reasons why people do all sorts of things that make them feel good. They don't require help from the Holy Spirit.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:49 AM

Quote:
As a complete outsider of this, (since my childhood church did not have this phenomena) my understanding of it is that, it is the Holy Spirit filling the person and causing them to express themselves in sounds without any limitation.

Someone looking at this phenomena for the first time might think it is just a babble of sound, but is there any meaning in it for others?
It is of no benefit to anyone else.

Quote:
What is the point of it?
There is no point.

Quote:
Self-aggrandizing.

Quote:
What can the person doing the Speaking expect from the other members of the church?
Perhaps envy, i.e., that person is filled with the Holy Spirit and I'm not.

Remedy ...I can be taught.

Next moment: Hey, I can also speak in tongues!

Thanks for the lessons pastor!

Quote:
Is it a special even which is talked about in the church for weeks afterwards?
I wouldn't think so. It's common.

Quote:
Does it make a kind-of celebrity?
Possibly for a while.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
There are psychological reasons why people do all sorts of things that make them feel good. They don't require help from the Holy Spirit.
Sure. I'm not arguing that they are under the influence of a cosmic spook. Just describing what actually is practiced and by whom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality