Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 10:34 AM

63,795 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes it is primarily group hysteria IMO. We feed off each other socially and emotionally.

At a lesser amplitude, even non-Charismatic church services are structured to build a certain Mood. The hymns, the costumes / pageantry (in "high church" traditions anyway), the stained-glass windows, pipe organs, chants, prayers ... even the architecture, all work together.

The last church service I attended was at an Episcopalian church, and by the time the Eucharist was over I could not shake the subjective feeing of being part of something very ancient and deep, even though I no longer am! I felt a sense of camaraderie with them in spite of myself. At least until I went out into the light of day and shook off the vibe.

So it's not hard to extrapolate from such relatively dignified and sedate emotional states / manipulations to the sort of froth one can get worked up into at a pentecostal-style meeting.
You are correct, mordant. It is not abnormal psychology. It is quite normal and many aspects of human persuasion employ it effectively. Humans are motivated by their emotive system. That means we need to get their emotions activated to move them. I use the analogy of moving a huge multi-ton round boulder. While it it stationary, it is impossible to move. But if it is rolling on its own it can be directed by nudging it in the direction you want it to go. That is why we are so persuasible when our emotions are raised.

We have no internal indicator of our emotional state other than its magnitude. That is why we can switch from laughing to crying based on external stimuli. The key is getting our emotions raised (boulder rolling on its own) so they can be directed to the desired interpretation. That is what occurs in the Pentecostal churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 06:48 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are correct, mordant. It is not abnormal psychology. It is quite normal and many aspects of human persuasion employ it effectively. Humans are motivated by their emotive system. That means we need to get their emotions activated to move them. I use the analogy of moving a huge multi-ton round boulder. While it it stationary, it is impossible to move. But if it is rolling on its own it can be directed by nudging it in the direction you want it to go. That is why we are so persuasible when our emotions are raised.

We have no internal indicator of our emotional state other than its magnitude. That is why we can switch from laughing to crying based on external stimuli. The key is getting our emotions raised (boulder rolling on its own) so they can be directed to the desired interpretation. That is what occurs in the Pentecostal churches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think the Pentecostal "feeling" isn't a lot different that how fans feel before a big football game against their rival. Stompin', and shoutin' and all in anticipation of some excitement. Then at the end of the meeting it's like how people feel after the big victory over their rival. The relief and satisfaction and celebration of winning the game is kind of how a Pentecostal meeting is at the end of the service.
Yeah there’s a lot more yelling out and organized chaos in a Pentecostal church, than most others.
As they say, “when in Rome, do as the Romans do”.
So getting people worked up and doing these things becomes easier, as it becomes the norm.
I’ve been involved in a Pentecostal group, albeit a long time ago, but can see the psychology involved.
Whether there’s any benefit in this type of worship, I’m not sure, but it’s not a bad thing either.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:27 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,960,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
As a complete outsider of this, (since my childhood church did not have this phenomena) my understanding of it is that, it is the Holy Spirit filling the person and causing them to express themselves in sounds without any limitation.
Someone looking at this phenomena for the first time might think it is just a babble of sound, but is there any meaning in it for others?
What is the point of it?
What can be gained from a Speaking in Tongues event?
What can the person doing the Speaking expect from the other members of the church?
Is it a special even which is talked about in the church for weeks afterwards? Does it make a kind-of celebrity?

Speaking in tongues was merely being able to speak in a foreign language without being taught it.
It was only to kick start 1st-century Christianity so those people could go back home from Jerusalem with their native language, native tongue understanding about the good news of God's kingdom ( thy kingdom come.... ) - Acts 2:6
Thus, right away they could begin to teach others who spoke the same language or mother tongue as they did.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:16 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,903,071 times
One having the supernatural ability to speak in another's native language would also require that one was familiar with the Gospel message in the first place. They would also need to be experienced enough in public speaking to effectively preach that message in the other's native language as well as in their own native language. I have YET to witness any such preaching of the Gospel from any of those professed Pentecostal 'tongue-speakers'.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:37 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
One having the supernatural ability to speak in another's native language would also require that one was familiar with the Gospel message in the first place. They would also need to be experienced enough in public speaking to effectively preach that message in the other's native language as well as in their own native language. I have YET to witness any such preaching of the Gospel from any of those professed Pentecostal 'tongue-speakers'.
Yep. This. I never really thought about it, but you are correct about not ever witnessing preaching like that. I had to read it again(nothing unusual)to really understand what you are saying. Tired, high, stoopid. LOL.

I witnessed a lot and I saw people supposedly doing what Pentecostals say should be done, after someone speaks in tongues there is another person who interprets it. It's always in English. Hmm.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:36 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,903,071 times
Moreover, UNLESS there was someone in the congregation who did not have a command of the English language there would be NO REASON to 'speak in another tongue' to begin with only to have it translated to the predominant language (English) as spoken by the congregation. That is unless the Holy Spirit likes to play silly games. Besides 'Pentecostal tongues' being contrary to scripture, it is ALSO contrary to plain LOGIC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality