Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 11:18 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Isn't that the Queensryche guy? Man, my memory is good. That's going back to the 90's, and haven't thought about him since.
Well done. I was able to see him before the split. I don't think I could have survived these past few years without a little Operation Mind crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 11:39 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Well done. I was able to see him before the split. I don't think I could have survived these past few years without a little Operation Mind crime.
I actually saw them once, on their first tour (before that album). Opening band for someone.... Iron Maiden? Good show.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:40 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
The Biblical principle is "a worker is worthy of his hire". But also there's nothing wrong with someone volunteering (assuming it's truly, as the word inherently means, "voluntary"). In my experience most churches have no shortage of willing musical volunteers; the question is how talented or competent they are. Smaller churches, aside from not being able to afford professional musicians, have a tendency to value earnestness over talent. So do smaller businesses, non-profits, smaller "anythings" basically.

In general if any org wants truly pro musical services then they will have to pay for them or do without. This is what seems to be happening from my observation although honestly I haven't done much first-hand observing in the past couple of decades.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:45 AM

412 posts, read 137,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klotone View Post
Just wanted to get people's opinions on this question. Thanks.
It depends on the church's objective. Some churches desire to put on a well-orchestrated performance. I think it should be left to the congregation to make a joyful non-orchestrated noise, no matter how off-key.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:51 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
I actually saw them once, on their first tour (before that album). Opening band for someone.... Iron Maiden? Good show.
When we get to the nursing home at least we'll have epic music.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:55 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The Biblical principle is "a worker is worthy of his hire". But also there's nothing wrong with someone volunteering (assuming it's truly, as the word inherently means, "voluntary"). In my experience most churches have no shortage of willing musical volunteers; the question is how talented or competent they are. Smaller churches, aside from not being able to afford professional musicians, have a tendency to value earnestness over talent. So do smaller businesses, non-profits, smaller "anythings" basically.

In general if any org wants truly pro musical services then they will have to pay for them or do without. This is what seems to be happening from my observation although honestly I haven't done much first-hand observing in the past couple of decades.
Yes, true volunteership is fine (as well as good!), and there’s definitely a difference when members of the congregation offer their services as opposed to outside vendors. I think that if younger children or adolescent congregants, say, perform a magic show or serve as the house band at a plain-old social function, it’s nice to give a little bit of compensation to reward hard work and entrepreneurial spirit.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:27 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Most musicians in Protestant churches are volunteering their time and talents. As someone who has done that, it's a joy to give without expectation of $.

Apparently there's a very different attitude and mindset in synagogues.

I've been to many churches where there are professional musicians getting paid for their services. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has to make a living. If they want to donate their fee to the church, that's their business, not mine.

The salaries of Church Organists in the US range from $18,720 to $141,440 , with a median salary of $49,920 . The middle 50% of Church Organists makes $49,920, with the top 75% making $141,440.

https://www.comparably.com/salaries/...hurch-organist

Do you think your Protestant churches are more altruistic than other churches? And you certainly know nothing of synagogues. You made your attitude and mindset very apparent.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:44 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klotone View Post
Just wanted to get people's opinions on this question. Thanks.
Our church pays a local pianist to play 1 Sunday a month. It's a nominal charge. I wish we had talent in the church to play, but there just isn't. We are a small church body and we just don't have anyone.

What does one expect the small church in our position to do? I'm not talking about the megachurch that pays a rock band to perform every week. I mean a simple little church that pays a musician.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:52 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Our church pays a local pianist to play 1 Sunday a month. It's a nominal charge. I wish we had talent in the church to play, but there just isn't. We are a small church body and we just don't have anyone.

What does one expect the small church in our position to do? I'm not talking about the megachurch that pays a rock band to perform every week. I mean a simple little church that pays a musician.
That seems fair, just as smaller nonprofits have fewer resources to expend than larger nonprofits, and vendors are sometimes willing to adjust their rates accordingly.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:56 PM

573 posts, read 260,456 times
If the Church takes in a lot of money,....'Why not?'

The Church is a Non-profit organization....which means 'the Church is NOT ALLOWED to Show a Profit' at the end of their tax year. That money must be spent on something related to church activities.

Pay the Musicians, pay security, pay custodial, pay the pastor. What's wrong with making a Profit?

???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality