Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 07:19 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times

Advertisements

He strikes me as a pretty standard rural pentecostal. His portrayal of the distinctives of pentecostalism is accurate. The basic value proposition is that god still works miracles in the present day, which is particularly appealing to the rural poor who almost need miracles on a daily basis to survive anyway.

Most of Christianity addresses that miracles self-evidently don't happen in this casual daily way by saying that "signs and wonders" were needed before the NT scriptures were canonized to validate teachers, but now that it's all down in black and white that's no longer needed. Pentecostals and charismatic Christians within non-Pentecostal churches take the other route which is to say that god does still bestow miracles. Necessarily this involves working people up into a group frenzy of ecstasy so that everything that happens in the service seems like a Big Deal.

Since the easiest "miracle" to simulate / lay claim to is so-called speaking in tongues, that is prominent in their services and practices.

I always tell these people to go and empty out a children's cancer ward and get back to me. They never do so. The standard response is "thou shalt not test the lord thy god". And in the end that is probably the whole point of religious faith -- verification, substantiation, or any other form of "test" is somehow a Bad thing, whereas credulousness and blind faith are somehow virtues. It is just raised a couple of notches in intensity compared to standard non-pentecostal churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 07:19 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I seem to recall that Mighty Queen has had contact with him since his last visit to the forum.

Most of Trout's 'one-or-two-or three-liners' were gems.
Trout reminds me of that movie A Christmas Story. The scene where he says his dad worked in profanity the way other artists work in oil and clay, a true master. Trout is the champion one-liner-call-em-out.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:22 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Trout reminds me of that movie A Christmas Story. The scene where he says his dad worked in profanity the way other artists work in oil and clay, a true master. Trout is the champion one-liner-call-em-out.
Lol -- IDK what it actually says about me but my family says I remind them of that character, especially when I literally DO wrestle with the household machinery in our cellar.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:04 AM

412 posts, read 137,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
I found it also interesting that Pastor Chris Wolford said that Petecostals are persecuted the most and differs a lot from baptists. IMO he appears to be a honest person and although I definitely don't agree with everything he has to say I don't think he's a bad person. He's an interesting figure that's for sure.
It's probably due to the Phelps effect. CNN is searching for any religious affiliation to the Colorado murders. This is not a good time in history to admit you are religious. I have witnessed liberal believers labeled as fundamentalists.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
It's probably due to the Phelps effect. CNN is searching for any religious affiliation to the Colorado murders. This is not a good time in history to admit you are religious. I have witnessed liberal believers labeled as fundamentalists.
Oh stop. Do you not know who is grandfather is?

Old 11-22-2022, 09:38 AM

412 posts, read 137,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Oh stop. Do you not know who is grandfather is?
Some of you are more fundamentally engaged in the religious world than regular folks. So why don't you explain who his Pawpaw was and why others should care?

Last edited by Hayle White; 11-22-2022 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-22-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
I don't have to stop anything, warden. No, I do not know who his grandfather was, and I do not want innocent people held for his beliefs. So, you stop it and move around.
Too bad. It might put your mind at ease in regards to the persecution of Christians.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:01 AM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
After reading though the posts I don't think I want to devote 40 minutes to the video.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:56 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Never heard of him.
A Pentecostal snake handler out in some rural area is not mainstream enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
After reading though the posts I don't think I want to devote 40 minutes to the video.
10 minutes was enough, up until showing him holding up a handful of snakes.
Dunno how this guy interprets the bible , to doing such folly.
Of course it’s about the showmanship and shock jock value, for this Pentecostal church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality