Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 09:00 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,017,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Can you elaborate, because I'm not sure I see the connection between over active self awareness and hyper-vigilance." Maybe explain what you mean by both...
I don’t equate it with hyper-vigilance either. To me, it means an overt (and not always purposeful) recognition of who you are and where you come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 09:01 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Glad you're liking this thread too, and I'm glad to see you here as well...

Have you posted this story before?

I can't remember if it was you or someone else who posted that song as part of much the same sort of story. Another way to say that sometimes (if not always) it's just our imaginations running away with us...
Yeah I have. Good memory LM. I think it was on an Atheist sub forum thread and someone else commented they had a similar experience where they asked for an answer and the answer was "God is not real ".

Old 11-20-2022, 09:04 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don’t equate it with hyper-vigilance either. To me, it means an overt (and not always purposeful) recognition of who you are and where you come from.
Then it's definitely nothing like hyper-vigilance. Hyper-vigilance would be an impediment because it always has me asking "what does that mean?" about the external world.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:12 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I've got to sign off now and get on with preparing our customary BSB...

Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to read and better understand what L8 is getting at, but I think these clarifications or distinctions continue to well demonstrate how we might all be thinking a little differently what these terms and descriptions mean. Perhaps having something to do with confirmation bias, but either way I'd just put it this way.

There are people who seem to be all about one thing or another, and they will demonstrate an overt expression about this. To a point I might describe as too much pridefulness. I've used sports fans as an example of what I mean here before. I am a big sports fan, but I am not in any way equally overt or proud about my teams as some of these people who seem to make it all about who they are.

They wear all their teams sports swag, paint their faces, and can hardly have a conversation without letting it be known who they are rooting for.

People can be the same way about their heritage or religion or race or education..., you name it. There are those who are a little more humble and less obvious (in-your-face) about these differences and/or sources of pride, while others can be, well, just too thick about this sort of thing far as I'm concerned. Too much fist pumping and chest thumping if you will.

Not sure how best to define or describe those differences, but I sure know it when I see it (or hear it or read about it). Sometimes people make it impossible not to...

Cheers and the best of Sundays to all! Go 9rs! (Though the 9rs play Monday night and not this Sunday this time around).

Old 11-20-2022, 09:16 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times
Quote:
I'm a big fan of coincidence and the unexplainable too, and boy have I experienced some really duzzies in my day, and I guess I'm okay to leave them be as coincidence and the unexplainable rather than get carried away like some people tend to do about such things...
All this coincidence talk made me think of this:

When I was 14 I attended 1/2 of my 9th grade year at a high school here. I met a girl during that time and we became good friends. She had an older brother that was kind of dorky but nice. Long, long story but I was kidnapped at 3 am and taken back to the North for the rest of high school. I never saw my friend again until 5 years later when I moved here permanently.

One day in the North I rode my bicycle to the little country store at the end of the road. We lived in an extremely rural area, nothing much around except for that store and there were a lot of dirt roads at that time. I was still only 14 when this happened. I was alone hanging out in the carwash on my bike and I see this van pull up to the gas pumps.

It was like a Cheech & Chong movie, when they got out the smoke came boiling out with them. One short and round, the other, really tall and skinny. I kept looking because they looked familiar. I came out of the car wash and realized it was my friend's dorky brother! I went over to find out why they were there and 8 hours away from home.

There are two cities in both states with the same name, so the idiots were going to go to the one in their state but ended up in the city with same name in my state. They drove 8 hours in the wrong direction and I was the one who had to give them the bad news that they were in the same named town in a different state. Like I said, smoked up dorky idiots.

We all had a good laugh but what are the odds of that happening? I just happened to be at that store at that particular time when they pulled in, lost. I lived like a 1/2 mile from there. My friend, his sister, couldn't believe what had happened. It baffles me even now.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:18 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Then it's definitely nothing like hyper-vigilance. Hyper-vigilance would be an impediment because it always has me asking "what does that mean?" about the external world.
Ah! Seems we are talking about two very different things, subjects...

I'll have to back-track and start over tomorrow. Thanks for helping to clarify what you are wanting to hear more about. All somewhat interesting in any case. Best of Sundays to you.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:41 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We are still in the religion and spirituality sub-forum.
Good point.

Old 11-20-2022, 10:17 AM

12,041 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Anyone here a Leonard Cohen fan?

I find him a much better and more compelling poet than Dylan.
I found him in the late sixties when his first “Susanne” album came out and people thought he made background music for depressed people to play while contemplating suicide….

But he matured into such a deep compelling poet and musician. And when “Halelueja” came out I think he was taken more seriously.

I think his best album before he died was Ten New Songs.
Many of the songs do that mix where you think he’s talking about sex, love and misery with a woman lover, but it morphs into his relationship with the spiritual — full of metaphor and symbolism.
He lived in a Buddhist monestery, was ordained as a monk, and had a long relationship w his Buddhist teacher and has an uncanny way of blending Christian themes with Advaita and Buddhism in such a brilliant messy creative yet focused way in the describing struggles of the human condition.

Here’s a fun one A Thousand Kisses Deep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIfBuU3kn-s

And the words :

The ponies run, the girls are young
The odds are there to beat
You win a while, and then it's done
Your little winning streak
And summoned now to deal
With your invincible defeat
You live your life as if it's real
A thousand kisses deep

I'm turning tricks, I'm getting fixed
I'm back on boogie street
You lose your grip, and then you slip
Into the masterpiece
And maybe I had miles to drive
And promises to keep
You ditch it all to stay alive
A thousand kisses deep

And sometimes when the night is slow
The wretched and the meek
We gather up our hearts and go
A thousand kisses deep

Confined to sex, we pressed against
The limits of the sea
I saw there were no oceans left
For scavengers like me
I made it to the forward deck
I blessed our remnant fleet
And then consented to be wrecked
A thousand kisses deep

I'm turning tricks, I'm getting fixed
I'm back on boogie street
I guess they won't exchange the gifts
That you were meant to keep
And quiet is the thought of you
The file on you complete
Except what we forgot to do
A thousand kisses deep

And sometimes when the night is slow
The wretched and the meek
We gather up our hearts and go
A thousand kisses deep
The ponies run, the girls are young
The odds are there to beat
You win a while, and then it's done
Your little winning streak
And summoned now to deal
With your invincible defeat
You live your life as if it's real
A thousand kisses deep

“Back on Boggie Street” is another good one

Last edited by mountainrose; 11-20-2022 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-20-2022, 10:26 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,692 times
Quote:
"Do It Again" is one of many great Steely Dan tunes, and boy did I listen to that one over and over again many times too. Playing my album of course, not so much by radio, but back when they were coming out with their stuff, they were on the radio ALL THE TIME.

No doubt that sort of music helped inspire you to do some nice paint jobs. My late father-in-law painted many a car and refurbished many a classic that my wife and her sister recently inherited. When dating my soon-to-be bride, I would walk up to her father's house where she was living, and he'd be in the garage painting a car. I'd walk in that garage and damn near pass out from the paint fumes and the cigarette smoke (he smoked like a fiend). I never could figure out how he managed that, and needless to say it took a toll on his health, but man could he bring a car back from the dead and turn it into a beautiful work of art. He and his friends transported my wife and I from the church where we got married to our wedding reception in a parade of antique cars that he and his friends had refurbished. Quite the sight to see and ride to enjoy for us and the rest of our wedding party.

I've always been one to have music playing in the background while doing just about anything...
I have an awesome local rock radio station, that has been around for a long time. Right after I read your post to Elijah Astin, and you were talking about Bob Dylan, I turned on the radio and it was right in the middle of that song "Maggie's Farm".

I'm pretty sure that it was a Jewish woman who had a big part in launching it and the formatting. They played a lot of tunes that are great songs that many people have probably never heard, and they played those really long songs that most stations would never even consider playing. They even had an old lady who was a D.J. and you could tell by her voice when she introduced the next song.

A song they played that many have probably never heard is J.D. Blackfoot "The Song of Crazy Horse-Ride Away". It is a 20 minute long two-part song and the studio version with the full band and violins is the one to listen too. It is a song-story about Crazy Horse, who went to the Fort in Peace and was told the Captain of the Fort was sleeping and the guard wanted him to stay in a jail cell over night and he said he would come back in the morning and the guard used his bayonet to stab him in the back and killed him as he was leaving.

And Although I don't agree with all the lyrics, his other big song is "The Ultimate Prophecy" but the only way to listen to that song is from the live concert recording with the full band. It might be a bit much for some. But I enjoy the all-around artistic value of it. It is a 5 part song and also about twenty minutes long, and the last part is my least favorite of the 5 parts.

These are 50 year old songs and it is interesting to see people listen to them today for the first time. They don't have the choice versions on Youtube. They had the full studio version of The Song of Crazy Horse-Ride Away up for awhile but it gets taken down. And the studio version of The Ultimate Prophecy is nothing at all like the live version in sound and quality with the full band that rocks. And in the live version of The Song of Crazy Horse they replaced the violins with flutes and it just isn't the same.

Some people like those songs and some don't. They are definitely different from songs that you would be used to hearing and surely not anything like you basic 3 minute songs you hear today. I thought I would tell you about them and maybe check out some old music that you might not have heard. Something of a different flavor. If you had to pick one, most like The Song of Crazy Horse-Ride Away, studio version which is my favorite.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:08 AM

12,041 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Okay, — keeping it off-topicly spiritual

Found the Cohen poem/song that I find poignantly blends the love, compassion, forgiveness of Jesus, the seeing of the suffering here — with the Buddhist perspective of impermanence and acceptance of what is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WaBpScRGuo

Here’s the words to follow along:
(the word that is censured by CD is the “urine” word that starts with “p”)

Here it is
Here it is
Here it is
Here it is

Here is your crown
And your seal and rings
Here is your love
For all things

Here is your cart
Your cardboard and ****
And here is your love
For all of this

May everyone live
May everyone die
Hello, my love
And my love, goodbye

Here it is
Here it is

Here is your wine
And your drunken fall
And here is your love
Your love for it all

Here is your sickness
Your bed and your pan
And here is your love
For the woman, the man

May everyone live
May everyone die
Hello, my love
And, my love, goodbye

Here it is
Here it is

And here is the night
The night has begun
And here is your death
In the heart of your son

And here is the dawn
Until death do us part
And here is your death
In your daughter's heart

May everyone live
And may everyone die
Hello, my love
And, my love, goodbye

And may everyone live
May everyone die
Hello, my love
And, my love, goodbye

Here it is
Here it is

Here you are hurried
And here you are gone
And here is the love
It's all built upon

Here is your cross
Your nails and your hill
And here is the love
That lists where it will

May everyone live
Now may everyone die
Hello, my love
And my love, goodbye

And may everyone live
And may everyone die
Hello, my love
And my love, goodbye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality