Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 10:15 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd like the perspective of ALL the established religions, actually, but if it's going to founder here, sure...
It's up to you. Let me or mensaguy know; however, if you do want what you say in the first part of your sentence, we can leave it here. I'm also curious as to the outlook of other religions on the subject, as well.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:15 AM

22,140 posts, read 13,173,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Good, but we shouldn't stop there. Spirituality and philosophy can contribute as well. Sometimes matters blur the lines, and we could have a bit more completeness.
Or a bit more digression...

It's a shame posts can't appear on more than one forum; it's often difficult to know where to put them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 12:29 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,337,798 times
Quote:
Well, you heard it. If you're capable of discussing a topic logically and objectively, you're a sociopath!

Biblical scholars? Of whom I know there are plenty on this forum...
You know? Sometimes I have to wonder - when the only people you want to hear from are Biblical scholars.

Keep emotion and opinion out of it. Just turn a topic that is already rife with emotion into a boring academic discussion - as if it has no bearing whatsoever on the lives of real people.

So yeah ... you did hear it. And I stand behind it.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:59 PM

22,140 posts, read 13,173,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
You know? Sometimes I have to wonder - when the only people you want to hear from are Biblical scholars.

Keep emotion and opinion out of it. Just turn a topic that is already rife with emotion into a boring academic discussion - as if it has no bearing whatsoever on the lives of real people.

So yeah ... you did hear it. And I stand behind it.
Rationality is a good thing. I stand behind THAT.

Different strokes!

Old 10-31-2022, 01:22 PM

895 posts, read 477,745 times
Quote:
Just curious what religious/biblical scholars have to say about this now that it's available since suicide itself, as least as I was taught in Catholicism, is a sin since it represents despair and thus a lack of faith in God and also interferes with God's plan/will for one's life. In the face of terminal cancer or other life-ending disease, however, does the same apply? I would think so, but am interested to hear what others believe on the subject...
I was taught in church that if you committed suicide that it would be your final act, and one of sin for which you would never get a change to repent and be forgiven for, therefore you would go to hell.

Old 10-31-2022, 01:31 PM

895 posts, read 477,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

The irony is that people claim this is "playing god", but they're happy to do just that in strenuously trying to avoid death with every possible medical intervention, with prayer, etc. If they really wanted to let god have his way they would just passively languish until they died, refuse pain killers, and so forth.

Every time we gain some new mastery over our environment, it makes humans more confident and self-sufficient, and we can't have that; we'e manufactured a need for / dependence up on god to get through our days, and proud independence from god is a no-no, regardless of what drop-dead obvious benefits it provides, or harms it avoids. I suppose this is why Christians reflexively thank god when their doctor cures some disease or repairs some injury. To the point that doctors are so used to it that they don't even think about it, often. Christians have to somehow explain medical intervention as god's instrument.

There may come a time in my life where for various reasons good and sufficient to me, I no longer wish to have more experiences. It would be great if I could make that decision and if my physician would respect and assist with it. This has nothing to do with being depressed or morose. That's a different thing, and easily distinguished.

One part of such a calculus, especially in the dysfunctional healthcare environment of the US, is that I would not want my final illness to bankrupt my family and leave them destitute or needlessly constrained. I would also not want to burden them with home care if, say, I were a drooling, incontinent idiot. So there are considerations apart from my own levels of physical pain and discomfort or quality of life.
Excellent point, why spend a lifetime working and saving to leave your family an inheritance (something the bible itself calls a good thing), then have your dying process undo you life's effort. Just hand me the morphine drip button an I'll squeeze it till I'm out.

Old 10-31-2022, 02:12 PM

25,452 posts, read 9,871,530 times
Quote:
Well, you heard it. If you're capable of discussing a topic logically and objectively, you're a sociopath!

Biblical scholars? Of whom I know there are plenty on this forum...
I'm no biblical scholar, but I did go to bible school and study the bible extensively for decades. Does that count? LOL

Old 10-31-2022, 02:51 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,617,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
I was taught in church that if you committed suicide that it would be your final act, and one of sin for which you would never get a change to repent and be forgiven for, therefore you would go to hell.
I was taught that since Jesus died for all of our sins, that because our sins were judged in him on the cross, that God doesn't turn around and judge us when we get around to committing the sins that Jesus already died for. If God intended to judge us for our sins then there was no point in sending Jesus to be our substitute. Yes, sin can bring divine discipline in time and loss of rewards at the Judgment seat of Christ, but we can't lose our salvation because of sin.

I prefer what I was taught.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:16 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think you've got "Thou shalt not kill" and after that, the diversions begin.

https://www.bibleodyssey.org/en/peop...e-in-the-bible
No one has actually even responded to my first post in the thread. I thought this part of the quote would at least get some conversation going:

Quote:
Is suicide a sin? Many people assume the Bible condemns taking one’s own life. However, even a careful reader will search in vain for any explicit prohibition of self-killing in the Bible. In fact, the biblical attitude toward suicide ranges from ambivalence to praise. There are seven unambiguous examples of suicide in the Bible: <snip>

Old 10-31-2022, 04:36 PM

17,886 posts, read 13,816,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Even if she begged for death? You'd just sit there and stare at her impassive to her pleas?
To me the larger point in terms of logic is the fact that if it weren't for the Oncologists/Medications/Chemo/Radiation etc. ...God would have taken her long before he did.

That is harsh and I apologize that it is actually a person that BF knows... and recently happened...

But it just seems strange to me that the very thing God seems to want for that person can't be helped along by the Doctors if the suffering person desires such an outcome.

I'm not sure why God would care if you went a little bit earlier and avoided extended suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality