Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 05:22 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

I think we're falling into personal opinion and debate here versus theology, which is what I (the OP) was asking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 05:26 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think we're falling into personal opinion and debate here versus theology, which is what I (the OP) was asking about.
You are right. Apologies.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:26 PM

412 posts, read 137,344 times
Quote:
Me too. Currently, it looks as if some posters want other posters to act as their eugenist.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:32 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
On another CD forum when this subject came up, I strongly urged people to watch Her Last Project, a documentary about the choice of a Canadian physician to die with MAiD. Dr. Shelley Sarwal was in her forties when she was diagnosed with a degenerative disease. She documented the process of planning her death.

I posted a link, but someone told me they couldn't access that link outside of Canada. There is probably a way to watch. At least you should be able to read the article.

https://www.cbc.ca/cbcdocspov/episodes/her-last-project

And yes, we are moving away from the religious-&-spirituality-related discussion.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:36 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Do you HONESTLY think that people are simply going to discuss this subject as if this were a Princeton debating society? The cold, calculating sterility of debating over what the Bible says - and how this or that translation or that or this interpretation means this, that, or something else?

Really?

Well, you heard it. Time for us all to access our inner sociopaths.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Do you HONESTLY think that people are simply going to discuss this subject as if this were a Princeton debating society? The cold, calculating sterility of debating over what the Bible says - and how this or that translation or that or this interpretation means this, that, or something else?

Really?

Well, you heard it. Time for us all to access our inner sociopaths.
Well, you heard it. If you're capable of discussing a topic logically and objectively, you're a sociopath!

Biblical scholars? Of whom I know there are plenty on this forum...

Old 10-31-2022, 10:03 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Well, you heard it. If you're capable of discussing a topic logically and objectively, you're a sociopath!

Biblical scholars? Of whom I know there are plenty on this forum...
To be fair, if you wanted more Biblical scholar types to post on the topic or a discussion from a strictly Christian point of view on this subject, it would have been better to post it in Christianity. A lot of regulars who prefer to discuss the Bible don't post in this R&S general area.

It can be moved if you like.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:04 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Personally, I would leave suicide as a freedom for an individual, even though it's a rather drastic one. Ending a life early, and wasting this one shot among us is disappointing, but who am I or we to get in the way of what one wishes for his or her self.

Perhaps our only role would be in pausing for the person, and making sure they've thought it out fully and considered all options. When the mind's under stress, it's not in its optimal condition for rationality, so we might be able to lend a hand then.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-31-2022 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-31-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
To be fair, if you wanted more Biblical scholar types to post on this subject, it would have been better to post it in Christianity. A lot of regulars who prefer to discuss the Bible don't post in this R&S general area.

It can be moved if you like.
I'd like the perspective of ALL the established religions, actually, but if it's going to founder here, sure...

Old 10-31-2022, 10:12 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
I'd like the perspective of ALL the established religions, actually...
That's good, but we shouldn't stop there. Spirituality and philosophy can contribute as well. Sometimes matters blur the lines, and the more completeness the better. In this increasingly digital and black & white world, we could use a lot more analog greyness, as of the great minds of centuries past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality