Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 12:31 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Baloney, you often refer to such yourself.

But to the issue:

What does it say on the federal government's money? "In God we trust".
What does the Pledge Of Allegiance say? "One nation under god".
What do sessions of the Senate and House begin with? A prayer by a religious figure.
What do presidents often say at the end of speeches? "God bless the United States Of America".

I prefer to stay on topic of this thread. That does not include arguing with you over dishonest claims you make without backing it up with actual quotes, which is what the site requires you to do, and is the net etiquette.

I don't engage with dishonest posters. A waste of my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 12:36 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I prefer to stay on topic of this thread. That does not include arguing with you over dishonest claims you make without backing it up with actual quotes, which is what the site requires you to do, and is the net etiquette.

Oh, really? Here's what you said is post 37: "Politics is not Religion, Religion is not Politics."

Old 10-28-2022, 02:09 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:

Wow - it's the victim card again!

"Oh no, my argument ran out of steam so now I'll start making ad hominem attacks on my opponent. I'll call him dishonest - yeah - and then adopt a snotty holier-than-thou attitude by saying it's a waste of time to enage with them. Yeah! That'll show 'em that he lost the argument!"

I find it - utterly fascinating - how some people feel they can win by proclamation. "I said it, therefore it is true until proven false - and only I get to choose whether that proof is valid."

In other words, it's merely setting up the discussion to make sure your opponent can't win. So ... yeah, about that dishonesty ...

My favorite is when someone makes a statement that they know is both controversial and wrong - so later in their post they try to post a disclaimer which essentially says, "I wasn't trying to suggest <something> even though my statement came right out and said <something>." Kind of .... hypocritical, no?

Like when you said ... oh what was it ... oh yeah. You said:

Quote:
There really is no reason for them to stray outside the atheist forum and discuss atheism, and yet here they are everyday arguing endlessly about belief.
And then later in your post you said:

Quote:
I want to add I am not dictating what and where atheists should post, they have every right to post whatever and wherever this site allows them to do so. Of course.
I mean ... LOL ... c'mon now. If you truly believed atheists have the right to post whatever and wherever this site allows - then why are you saying we have "no reason to stray outside the atheist forum to discuss atheism"? Hmm? HMMM??

So yeah, you might want to rethink accusing anyone else of bad netiquette and any kind of dishonesty. Doesn't the Bible warn people about removing the plank from their own eye first? Ensure your own house in order? Yep. Might be a good idea. That way people like me won't swoop in and ... you know ... bust you for things.

Cheers!

Old 10-29-2022, 06:38 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times
Religion is honoring God through loving and serving your fellow humans.

Old 10-29-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
It seems to me you define religion by how it functions - love and service to community. You obviously see religion as part of your life, the way you live your life.
Would you say honoring God is the essence of Religion as you see it?
Do you understand religion the same way as you do other aspects that affect your life - such as politics, economy, race and gender issues etc? Or do you understand it as something internal to you and not like anything else - unique.

Old 10-29-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Wow - it's the victim card again!

"Oh no, my argument ran out of steam so now I'll start making ad hominem attacks on my opponent. I'll call him dishonest - yeah - and then adopt a snotty holier-than-thou attitude by saying it's a waste of time to enage with them. Yeah! That'll show 'em that he lost the argument!"

I find it - utterly fascinating - how some people feel they can win by proclamation. "I said it, therefore it is true until proven false - and only I get to choose whether that proof is valid."

In other words, it's merely setting up the discussion to make sure your opponent can't win. So ... yeah, about that dishonesty ...

My favorite is when someone makes a statement that they know is both controversial and wrong - so later in their post they try to post a disclaimer which essentially says, "I wasn't trying to suggest <something> even though my statement came right out and said <something>." Kind of .... hypocritical, no?

Like when you said ... oh what was it ... oh yeah. You said:

And then later in your post you said:

I mean ... LOL ... c'mon now. If you truly believed atheists have the right to post whatever and wherever this site allows - then why are you saying we have "no reason to stray outside the atheist forum to discuss atheism"? Hmm? HMMM??

So yeah, you might want to rethink accusing anyone else of bad netiquette and any kind of dishonesty. Doesn't the Bible warn people about removing the plank from their own eye first? Ensure your own house in order? Yep. Might be a good idea. That way people like me won't swoop in and ... you know ... bust you for things.

Cheers!
So, how do you define Religion? Not the religion you practice, but Religion in general?

Old 10-29-2022, 11:14 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Politics is not Religion, Religion is not Politics.
I must disagree, at least to some extent...

The connections between politics and religion, religion and politics are far too many and far too obvious for me to spend any time arguing otherwise. I can only guess you don't know as much as you should about either to know better, but really? Hard to imagine.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:19 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
It pains me to think people believe a god or religion is necessary to love and serve fellow humans, or that there need be inspiration along those lines rather than just be good for goodness sake, but just as there are those who think people would be bad if not for their religion, I suppose being good because of religion is also a plus for religion if one wants to think this way. I sure don't.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I must disagree, at least to some extent...

The connections between politics and religion, religion and politics are far too many and far too obvious for me to spend any time arguing otherwise. I can only guess you don't know as much as you should about either to know better, but really? Hard to imagine.
Then dont waste yourvtime
I know politics, I am quite active in my community, i know the issues, i know how to canvass my reps. to get bills passed. And i watch PBS!! How can I not know politics!!
It is a mistake to think that disagreement is out of ignorance. That kind of thinking only makes oneself ignorant, not just arrogant.
Since this thread is very specifically about religion, a question for practitioners, What do you think Religion is?

Old 10-29-2022, 11:40 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Religion would be man's best attempt to define the divine. But that largely can't be defined by words, so is rather futile in practice, as we see around us. It's also too infected by human weaknesses and errors - especially when corporate in thought (reflecting mass-thought) - moving us farther from clarifying the divine.

Only spirituality has a chance of collecting and sensing what is out there. But even that can only be conveyed and understood internally and individually. Thankfully it doesn't seek or need any group approval or agreement, so remains pure.

I understand religion mostly clearly from seeing it from the outside, though I once was duped into its inner circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality