Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 08:30 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How's that title just grab you my fellow Americans.
It grabs me because I am an old secretary trained to see misspellings without even looking for them.

Old 10-23-2022, 11:30 PM

6,795 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It grabs me because I am an old secretary trained to see misspellings without even looking for them.
How about 'mislead' rather than 'misled' in post #10?

Sorry kjw47.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 05:19 AM

344 posts, read 144,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Make sure the meds schedule is being followed.

Lumping those words together leads to no computable response on my end.

I can put together words too: Eden, Xanadu, and Uzbekistan.
I actually take no pharmaceuticals or any drugs. I do what I am suppose to as in care. Do you? The folks who lived in Sodom were probably very ignorant of anything unusual and probably had attitudes like you, don't you think?

Old 10-24-2022, 05:23 AM

344 posts, read 144,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Spelling mustr be very important to you, what about the message?

Old 10-24-2022, 09:55 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
I actually take no pharmaceuticals or any drugs. I do what I am suppose to as in care. Do you? The folks who lived in Sodom were probably very ignorant of anything unusual and probably had attitudes like you, don't you think?
Post #2 wasn't necessarily addressed to you. Did you even notice that I included no thread with what I was posting; no one directly being responded to? Or maybe your conscience is speaking?

Old 10-24-2022, 03:15 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
This is what I think:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmac...h=260906e35c67

Old 10-24-2022, 04:36 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Spelling must be very important to you, what about the message?
She specifically referenced being a secretary during the less technologically sophisticated era. My wife also was trained in the same way to the same rigid standards of an executive secretary prior to getting her college degree later in life. It becomes almost instinctual. I lightheartedly call her the "grammar Nazi" but she really can't help seeing and hearing them (she took dictation as well).

Old 10-24-2022, 04:49 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
She specifically referenced being a secretary during the less technologically sophisticated era. My wife also was trained in the same way to the same rigid standards of an executive secretary prior to getting her college degree later in life. It becomes almost instinctual. I lightheartedly call her the "grammar Nazi" but she really can't help seeing and hearing them (she took dictation as well).
My wife comes by such things organically as well but via a different route: since the was trained as a journalist, she is almost a walking version of Strunk & White. Stylistic conventions and standards are very important to her.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Spelling mustr be very important to you, what about the message?
Spelling is indeed very important to me, although poor spelling on a message board is usually not worth mentioning. Many people are not good spellers by nature, as I am. Don't ask me about algebra.

Honestly, I would have just corrected it, but your melodramatic first sentence made it irresistible to respond the way I did.

What message? Another yawn-inducing warning that America is headed the way of two famous doomed cities in a Bible story? Sometimes it's the Roman Empire, but I am 64, and I've been hearing these dire predictions since I was a child.

There's always someone seeing an "onslaught of evil".

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-24-2022 at 05:32 PM..

Old 10-24-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My wife comes by such things organically as well but via a different route: since the was trained as a journalist, she is almost a walking version of Strunk & White. Stylistic conventions and standards are very important to her.
Same here, but lately I am taken to task by my linguist daughter, who reminds me that there is no "right" way to use a language. She is correct, and I know that, but in written English, there are standard conventions that society adheres to for certain purposes. Message boards are not included in that group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality