Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 08:02 AM

42 posts, read 14,495 times

Advertisements

GM all. I've got a bit of a dilemma here I want some input on. My wife and I joined a new church a few years ago and since then I have become very active. At my last church which was the church I was born and raised in I was also very active but when we left I decided that I really didn't want to get so involved into everything and was determined to just go, join, sit, and enjoy the services. A few weeks after joining the praise and worship leader asked me and my wife if we were singers. She's a nice girl some years younger than my wife and I and I told her I use to sing but had transitioned from that to more so church administration. I hadn't sung on a choir or group in a number of years at that point. My wife sort of threw me under the bus by telling her I had lead a few songs back in the day. I hadn't sung in a while because I was burnt out of singing. And it seems that ever since then every time there's an event this young woman comes to me and asks me to join the choir or she has the perfect song for me. Yeah, I did sing once with a group of guys for the pastor's birthday surprise a year or so ago. He likes quartet music so we did a medley of a few songs. No, I didn't lead any of them. It was fun and the entire congregation got a big kick out of it.

I'm now a deacon and I serve on several committees. My wife doesn't really do anything. It's a fairly small church, maybe 100-200 members if that much. We didn't want to go join one of those larger churches so when we visited this one we really liked it. Last year the pastor asked me to be on the planning committee for his pastoral and church anniversary. I was honored to be a part of it. We had a formal gala with tuxedos and ball gowns, the whole 9 yards.

This year he has asked me to serve again on the committee along with 3 other individuals. The weekend event is coming up in a few weeks. Ok, the committee and I have discussed a weekend full of stuff. A concert that Fri night. A bruncheon and awards ceremony that Sat. Then the final day on Sunday. For the bruncheon a few weeks ago we toyed around with the idea of getting a couple of youths to do a mock service and imitate our pastor and first lady. Names were thrown around as far as who might be willing to do it. Then it seemed like there was no more talk of that. The event is next weekend, about 9 days away. Sunday I get a text from another member of the planning committee, the praise and worship leader, and she told me they had been discussing doing a Masked Singer type of thing for the bruncheon and my name had been suggested to be one of the masked singers. First of all, I'm on the committee and I was not in any discussions about doing a masked singer type of thing at the bruncheon. And secondly, if there are three other people on the committee who else would have / could have nominated me but this one girl? These discussions are not open to the general congregation so I'm sure this is just another attempt for this girl to get me to sing. Again, the event is less than 2 weeks away and even if I said yes to this I'd have to come up with a consume, a mask, a song, etc. My thing is this. IF the other members of the committee were all going to participate then I'd have no problem joining in. But the thing is this, none of them are. She didn't say "we all are doing it". She just said that I had been nominated. Then she prefaced it by saying, "You can do a fake joking voice as well it don't have to be your real voice. It's supposed to be funny." Again, I'm on the committee and the day is going to be hectic enough trying to get a few hundred people seated and fed along with the awards presentations for me to quietly duck out and go get changed for a masked singer presentation. Like I say, if everyone on the committee is participating then I would have no problem doing it but none of them are.

Would you look at this as a fun event as in, "I'm willing to do anything for the pastor on his day/weekend" or would you look at this is she's just singling you out for no reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 08:34 AM

10,136 posts, read 6,506,923 times
Frankly, this doesn't sound like either a religious or spiritual issue.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:59 AM

10,553 posts, read 6,200,132 times
Just be firm and say you are not interested in singing and that's that.
You clearly don't want to do it.
Just be absolutely clear and firm.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:13 AM

51,171 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I agree.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Just be firm and say you are not interested in singing and that's that.
You clearly don't want to do it.
Just be absolutely clear and firm.

She knows how and where I stand on singing. Again, we've been members of this church going on 4 years and I've only sung once, for the pastor's birthday. Sometime you try to be nice and sort of chuckle it off but when was this discussion about doing this event and why was I not included in this idea? No, I'm not doing it with 9 days away.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree.
Isn't this the religion and spirituality section of General forums? This is is regards to my church so that's why I placed it here in the general section. If there's a better section please let me know and I'll gladly have it moved.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:25 AM

17,902 posts, read 13,834,437 times
No offense, but this kind of reminds me of one of those old Andy Griffith episodes about Barney and his singing.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:43 AM

88,884 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post

Old 10-11-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I'm totally fine if you decide to move it to a better, more suitable forum. Thx

Old 10-11-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
No offense, but this kind of reminds me of one of those old Andy Griffith episodes about Barney and his singing.
And that's the thing, I'm not trying to sing. I don't want to sing anymore. But it's like this girl is doing everything in her power to get me to sing. I mean you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying "look, don't ask me anymore." I just think that after a few years if they've not done something by now they probably aren't interested in doing it at all. Stop asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality