Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 01:08 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not particularly fond of western-flavored Buddhism, but this essay was interesting with a lot to think about:

https://oneearthsangha.org/articles/...-of-passivity/
my impression of "western flavored Buddhism" is that it seeks to strip Buddhism of it's holy and sacred elements, claims Buddhism is "a philosophy and not a religion," and claims Buddhism is "scientific, secular, and atheistic."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 01:32 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaphkiel View Post
my impression of "western flavored buddhism" is that it seeks to strip buddhism of it's holy and sacred elements, claims buddhism is "a philosophy and not a religion," and claims buddhism is "scientific, secular, and atheistic."
lol :d

Old 09-18-2022, 08:33 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
I found this today, which I thought was interesting: "However the ability for the monk to be separate from or aloof from most social and political concerns is sometimes taken to be the Buddhist ideal, and lay Buddhists, instead of seeing that in those areas which the monks do not involve themselves, it's the duty of the lay Buddhists to become active. They sometimes assume that non-involvement is the model for all Buddlhists. The monks stay aloof from social problems and injustices etc, and so therefore should all good Buddhists. That is overly passive, it is not the Buddhist model. The Buddhist model is of a sharing of responsibility."

It is from: https://www.watpahnanachat.org/buddhism-in-thailand -- in an article about Buddhism in Thailand today.

The personal judgement has to come in deciding how to take responsibility for the ills of what is around you.
This also reminds me that until fairly recently, meditation was not even the norm for Buddhist laypersons. That was, I'm given to understand, something that evolved in Burma in the early 20th century. Before that, meditation was mostly a discipline of monks.

I am out of time and focus tonight to absorb the article, but have it marked for later.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:55 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This also reminds me that until fairly recently, meditation was not even the norm for Buddhist laypersons. That was, I'm given to understand, something that evolved in Burma in the early 20th century. Before that, meditation was mostly a discipline of monks.

I don't know whether that is true or not, but I wouldn't doubt it. The Thai Buddhist temple I went to in Colorado had a fairly good-sized 'congregation'. On Sundays when there was a general service, it would always be very crowded and a big part of the day was the food people would bring. There was a service, but it did not include meditation. On the other hand, I would occasionally join the monks at 7 p.m. in the evening when they did one of their formal meditation. It was extremely rare to see any of the Thai laypeople there, although everyone was invited.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

I am out of time and focus tonight to absorb the article, but have it marked for later.
LOL Buddha attained enlightenment after meditating day and night for several days, while his body withered to skin and bones. He was a lay person seeking enlightenment. I believe this was like 500 to 600 BCE. He learnt meditation from the Hindus, as there was no Buddhism until then. Meditation is a an ancient vedic practice of breath control and anybody can learn to do that.
Anybody can write anything on the internet. You dont even have to be human.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:21 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
I don't know whether that is true or not, but I wouldn't doubt it. The Thai Buddhist temple I went to in Colorado had a fairly good-sized 'congregation'. On Sundays when there was a general service, it would always be very crowded and a big part of the day was the food people would bring. There was a service, but it did not include meditation. On the other hand, I would occasionally join the monks at 7 p.m. in the evening when they did one of their formal meditation. It was extremely rare to see any of the Thai laypeople there, although everyone was invited.
I read somewhere that when the colonialists deposed the Buddhist king, who was also the leader of the state religion of Buddhism, meditation was encouraged in the laity as a way of preserving the dharma in the absence of the king. Or words to that effect. IIRC it wasn't just the loss of the king but the loss of patronage and support for the monastery system and its general decline. So it was an effort to transfer some of that practice into private homes where it could not be effectively policed.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
LOL Buddha attained enlightenment after meditating day and night for several days, while his body withered to skin and bones. He was a lay person seeking enlightenment. I believe this was like 500 to 600 BCE. He learnt meditation from the Hindus, as there was no Buddhism until then. Meditation is a an ancient vedic practice of breath control and anybody can learn to do that.
Anybody can write anything on the internet. You dont even have to be human.
1. Buddha was not exactly a lay person once he left his royal upbringing. He became an ascetic.
2. And he also took a different path from Hinduims, hence Buddhism.
3. Meditation is far more complex than simply breath control. Breath control is one possible tool in meditation.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
1. Buddha was not exactly a lay person once he left his royal upbringing. He became an ascetic.
2. And he also took a different path from Hinduims, hence Buddhism.
3. Meditation is far more complex than simply breath control. Breath control is one possible tool in meditation.
1) Siddhartha was recognized as the Gautama Buddha (the one who has attained Knowledge and dispels darkness) because of his realized state after a severe penance - the same method all realized sages of the vedic tradition followed: Renunciation of property, family bonds, belongings, going into the woods, deep meditation. Before he did that, like all other seekers, he went looking a for teachers and engaged in a lot of discussions, all belonging to the Vedic religion, and then decided he will meditate until he realized the Truth for himself. All of this is within the Vedic tradition. There is no such thing as a lay person as opposed to something else, only those who are worldly and those who have renounced, just two. Those are the facts known about Buddha. You are free assume any other thing that fits whatever you want, free country.
2) He did not deny the Vedic religion, he just taught what he realized and that rites are not necessary.This disturbed the Vedic orthodoxy. His image evokes most of all compassion, kindness and humility, not any kind of activism and denials.

3) Meditation is based on pranayama, which means breath control, and it is central because breath control controls thought. Again you can believe anything you want. Free country.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
1) Siddhartha was recognized as the Gautama Buddha (the one who has attained Knowledge and dispels darkness) because of his realized state after a severe penance - the same method all realized sages of the vedic tradition followed: Renunciation of property, family bonds, belongings, going into the woods, deep meditation. Before he did that, like all other seekers, he went looking a for teachers and engaged in a lot of discussions, all belonging to the Vedic religion, and then decided he will meditate until he realized the Truth for himself. All of this is within the Vedic tradition. There is no such thing as a lay person as opposed to something else, only those who are worldly and those who have renounced, just two. Those are the facts known about Buddha. You are free assume any other thing that fits whatever you want, free country.
2) He did not deny the Vedic religion, he just taught what he realized and that rites are not necessary.This disturbed the Vedic orthodoxy. His image evokes most of all compassion, kindness and humility, not any kind of activism and denials.

3) Meditation is based on pranayama, which means breath control, and it is central because breath control controls thought. Again you can believe anything you want. Free country.
I didn't say he denied it; I said he took a different path.

Meditation has many tools. Breath control is one.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:25 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
I didn't say he denied it; I said he took a different path. Meditation has many tools. Breath control is one.
ergo breath control is a form of meditation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality