Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 09:55 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the premise put forth in the opening post appears to not recognize or distinguish between "pacifist" and "passive." when an opening premise is flawed then that which flows from it tends to also be flawed.
I have no further comment to you about this. I'll be passive about this with you.

Please stop arguing about passivity.

Last edited by phetaroi; 09-18-2022 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 10:08 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have no further comment to you about this. I'll be passive about this with you.
it would be helpful for anyone considering the points point forth in this thread topic to recognize and understand the differences between "passive" "pacifist" and "nonviolence."

"The Buddha taught that violence begets violence and that only love can stop the cycle, so it is important to avoid participating in violent actions. But this doesn’t mean lying down and passively accepting abuse. Nor does it mean demonizing the person who is causing the trouble or seeing that person as the “other.”

"Nonviolence does not equal passivity or non-responsiveness. It means bringing forth the qualities of heart we are training ourselves in, namely, loving-kindness, courage, patience, and wisdom, and doing our best to enact them in the heat of the moment. Pausing to be mindful of just one breath can help calm the mind. Calmness offers the possibility of responding out of wisdom and compassion, rather than out of anger."

"it’s extremely beneficial to learn skills for meeting violence with nonviolence. The Buddha’s guidelines for wise speech can provide invaluable skills. These include practicing speech that is truthful, kind, unifying, and useful, and letting go of speech that is untruthful, unkind, divisive, and indulgent. It’s important to recognize the power of our individual actions, no matter how small they may seem. In the face of suffering, it is easy to feel overwhelmed and helpless. It is possible to slide into passivity and even indifference. Dharma practice encourages receptivity not passivity, and equanimity not indifference. "

from article Does nonviolence always mean taking a passive approach?

Old 09-18-2022, 10:09 AM

I have no further comment to you on this issue.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:11 AM

I found this today, which I thought was interesting: "However the ability for the monk to be separate from or aloof from most social and political concerns is sometimes taken to be the Buddhist ideal, and lay Buddhists, instead of seeing that in those areas which the monks do not involve themselves, it's the duty of the lay Buddhists to become active. They sometimes assume that non-involvement is the model for all Buddlhists. The monks stay aloof from social problems and injustices etc, and so therefore should all good Buddhists. That is overly passive, it is not the Buddhist model. The Buddhist model is of a sharing of responsibility."

It is from: https://www.watpahnanachat.org/buddhism-in-thailand -- in an article about Buddhism in Thailand today.

The personal judgement has to come in deciding how to take responsibility for the ills of what is around you.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:14 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No...not at all.

I saw this quote today and liked it:

"Buddhism isn't about being passive, it's about not being driven to activity by automatic impulses based on our conditioning".
Ah. Those dang " impulses ". Not unlike " appetites " in my faith tradition.

Seems there are many common "Truth's"

Old 09-18-2022, 11:16 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
a person can change and challenge the status quo without being contentious.

being a pacifist does not equate to being passive. they are not the same.
there are people who mistakenly conflate the two.
It is quite shocking that a poster on this forum could conflate the two, which means they understand neither.
It is now clear why there is so much difficulty with communication about any concept related to spirituality and religion.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:19 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

good point.
it is the difference between "reacting" (as in a knee-jerk reaction)
and "responding" as in choosing our response.

that is the essence of responsibility. the ability to respond. instead of reacting.
it is taking responsibility for our own thought, speech, actions, and feelings.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

I see it as needing to decide how to react, as opposed to gut reactions. But that's just me.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:37 AM

I'm not particularly fond of western-flavored Buddhism, but this essay was interesting with a lot to think about:

https://oneearthsangha.org/articles/...-of-passivity/

Old 09-18-2022, 12:40 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
it would be helpful for anyone considering the points point forth in this thread topic to recognize and understand the differences between "passive" "pacifist" and "nonviolence."

"The Buddha taught that violence begets violence and that only love can stop the cycle, so it is important to avoid participating in violent actions. But this doesn’t mean lying down and passively accepting abuse. Nor does it mean demonizing the person who is causing the trouble or seeing that person as the “other.”

"Nonviolence does not equal passivity or non-responsiveness. It means bringing forth the qualities of heart we are training ourselves in, namely, loving-kindness, courage, patience, and wisdom, and doing our best to enact them in the heat of the moment. Pausing to be mindful of just one breath can help calm the mind. Calmness offers the possibility of responding out of wisdom and compassion, rather than out of anger."

"it’s extremely beneficial to learn skills for meeting violence with nonviolence. The Buddha’s guidelines for wise speech can provide invaluable skills. These include practicing speech that is truthful, kind, unifying, and useful, and letting go of speech that is untruthful, unkind, divisive, and indulgent. It’s important to recognize the power of our individual actions, no matter how small they may seem. In the face of suffering, it is easy to feel overwhelmed and helpless. It is possible to slide into passivity and even indifference. Dharma practice encourages receptivity not passivity, and equanimity not indifference. "

from article Does nonviolence always mean taking a passive approach?
Wisdom! My impression is that this is basically a semantic issue with the words being used since I perceive no actual difference in the stance of the participants with regard to "reaction" versus thoughtful "response." Agape requires that you consider the impact on everyone involved before responding. We do not always do that and that is our most common and troubling human trait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality