Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 12:10 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You can NOT be devoid of BELIEF about something you are aware of, period. You keep trying to tie atheism to CLAIMS about a God so you can say you lack belief in the CLAIMS. The simple truth is you have a NEGATIVE belief about God because it is binary based on your assessment of the probability of God. Atheists have probabilities of less than 50%. Agnostics have a probability of 50%. Theists have probabilities of greater than 50%. Stop playing the lack of belief in the CLAIMS game and get real!
For some reason, it seems that all of the atheists disagree with you. (At least all of them that post on City-Data.)

Old 09-13-2022, 03:11 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
For some reason, it seems that all of the atheists disagree with you. (At least all of them that post on City-Data.)
Oh, well, that reason is self-evident and obvious. Their BASE assumption (BELIEF) about Reality is that there is NO GOD until and unless someone can provide sufficient evidence acceptable to THEM. That is what it means to BE an atheist. Besides, it is the basis of their demands for evidence of God from theists on whom they presume to put the "burden of proof."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 03:44 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Of course...anyone claiming they "Lack Belief" in any matter (not just God Belief) they have considered or contemplated is not being logical.
If you have considered or contemplated something...you necessarily have a belief about it...there is no way you couldn't, short of falling into a coma or suffering a brain injury.

That this is still done by the Fundamentalist "Internet Atheist" sect of The Atheism Religion that dwell on this board, would figure.
It's a kind of "Atheism Works In Mysterious Ways" type of obfuscation that they practice...claiming they "Lack Belief" in the Belief Position that Deities do not objectively exist.
So....

Old 09-13-2022, 04:39 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Oh, well, that reason is self-evident and obvious. Their BASE assumption (BELIEF) about Reality is that there is NO GOD until and unless someone can provide sufficient evidence acceptable to THEM. That is what it means to BE an atheist. Besides, it is the basis of their demands for evidence of God from theists on whom they presume to put the "burden of proof."
Believing there is a sentient creator isn't much of a belief. It's all the things said about Him is where the debate is.

Old 09-14-2022, 09:16 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
You always insist on accusing me of all manner of agenda and inability to do this or that when I am simply explaining why I am an atheist in the most honest and sincere way I know how. It's not a game or contest for me. Not a negative or an emotional thing to me. Not like it always appears is the case with you and others who can't simply look at the facts of these matters in an objective way. Observation, learning, evaluation and critical thinking is what has me concluding what I do. At least in part. Doesn't suit me one way or another. Is neither negative or positive for me any more than recognizing the earth is round and not flat.

I don't really understand your alternative way of thinking, feelings or perspective either, but agree or disagree with me, fine. All the rest of the baggage you always want to infuse into the why and how we disagree strikes me as infantile.

Again, back to the basics and to keep it straight-forward and simple; atheism is not a religion. It's just dumb to argue otherwise. No more intelligent than to argue a brick is a plant. Always amazing to me how many people who are not atheists don't really have a basic understanding about what atheism actually is, or why.

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-14-2022 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-14-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You always insist on accusing me of all manner of agenda and inability to do this or that when I am simply explaining why I am an atheist in the most honest and sincere way I know how. It's not a game or contest for me. Not a negative or an emotional thing to me. Not like it always appears is the case with you and others who can't simply look at the facts of these matters in an objective way. Observation, learning, evaluation and critical thinking is what has me concluding what I do. At least in part. Doesn't suit me one way or another. Is neither negative or positive for me any more than recognizing the earth is round and not flat.

I don't really understand your alternative way of thinking, feelings or perspective either, but agree or disagree with me, fine. All the rest of the baggage you always want to infuse into the why and how we disagree strikes me as infantile.

Again, back to the basics and to keep it straight-forward and simple; atheism is not a religion. It's just dumb to argue otherwise. No more intelligent than to argue a brick is a plant. Always amazing to me how many people who are not atheists don't really have a basic understanding about what atheism actually is, or why.
I was Pedigree Atheist for my whole adult life.

I agree...it is "dumb" to argue, re: Atheism is a Religion.
Atheism is noted as a Religion...Because it is.
Prima facie evidence of that being all that is on this forum by the Atheists, every day--for years now.
As I said in a previous post...
When Atheists constantly put forth stuff like:
Here is an unassailable fact:
Atheists and skeptics have the truth on their side. Christians do not.

AND;
I truly believe that Christianity - along with other religions that preach this kind of callous judgement - is the single most immoral paradigm that has ever been devised anywhere by anyone in the entirety of human history.

Now add all the insulting and mocking Flying Spaghetti Monster and Invisible Pink Unicorn stuff.
That's as Fundamental Religious Proselytizing as it gets.
That's what the devout Religious do...and most of you are exactly that.
If it walks like Fundie Religious Proselytizer...and talks like a Fundie Religious Proselytizer...guess what it is?!

I actually don't have a problem with it.
But don't blow smoke and try to purport or pretend that is not what it is.
So...there ya go! Go forth with that!!
Keep preaching that Atheist Religion!

Old 09-14-2022, 10:31 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I was Pedigree Atheist for my whole adult life.

I agree...it is "dumb" to argue, re: Atheism is a Religion.
Atheism is noted as a Religion...Because it is.
Prima facie evidence of that being all that is on this forum by the Atheists, every day--for years now.
As I said in a previous post...
When Atheists constantly put forth stuff like:
Here is an unassailable fact:
Atheists and skeptics have the truth on their side. Christians do not.

AND;
I truly believe that Christianity - along with other religions that preach this kind of callous judgement - is the single most immoral paradigm that has ever been devised anywhere by anyone in the entirety of human history.

Now add all the insulting and mocking Flying Spaghetti Monster and Invisible Pink Unicorn stuff.
That's as Fundamental Religious Proselytizing as it gets.
That's what the devout Religious do...and most of you are exactly that.
If it walks like Fundie Religious Proselytizer...and talks like a Fundie Religious Proselytizer...guess what it is?!

I actually don't have a problem with it.
But don't blow smoke and try to purport or pretend that is not what it is.
So...there ya go! Go forth with that!!
Keep preaching that Atheist Religion!
With all due lack of respect...

I not only want to ignore you but also let you know I'm ignoring you for all the many reasons I've explained before. So... there ya go as well, and do please go forth. Somewhere that doesn't involve me!

Old 09-14-2022, 10:32 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

I not only want to ignore you but also let you know I'm ignoring you for all the many reasons I've explained before. So... there ya go as well, and do please go forth. Somewhere that doesn't involve me!
Welcome to the club!

Old 09-14-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:

This ^^^ is just further proof of the Fundamental Religiosity.
As it is typical of the Fundamental Religionists to shun those that do not agree with their doctrines & dogma.
Many on this forum tell of that.
So, there ya go..."Get out from among them!"

Old 09-14-2022, 10:51 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
You can NOT be devoid of BELIEF about something you are aware of, period.
As no one is arguing this ...

Take an English lesson from the German, try using the correct preposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality