Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 09:22 AM

50,914 posts, read 24,413,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Nor should you. I follow the Golden Rule for you hence I treat you like you treat others. You show no courtest, respect, manners or honesty towards atheists.

You reap what you sowed. Have a day full of karma
LOL...I love the bolded!

And I don't think it will be "bun".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 10:16 AM

63,891 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
LOL...I love the bolded!
And I don't think it will be "bun".
Not with you atheists projecting your "baap" karma onto her! Can we all just knock off the personal crap and deal with content and substance. This constant whining is becoming extremely tedious!!

Old 09-09-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not with you atheists projecting your "baap" karma onto her! Can we all just knock off the personal crap and deal with content and substance. This constant whining is becoming extremely tedious!!
Mystic, how many times have a number of us pointed out how insulting some of your posts are to some other posters?

Old 09-09-2022, 10:53 AM

63,891 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Mystic, how many times have a number of us pointed out how insulting some of your posts are to some other posters?
Taking insult is a personal subjective thing that has no bearing on my posts or their intent! I am sick and tired of this absurd "take offense" zeitgeist that seems to be enveloping our societal interactions. It is anathema to me. Deal with your own reactions and interpretations on your own without invoking societal censure or sanction. IOW, grow up!

Old 09-09-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Taking insult is a personal subjective thing that has no bearing on my posts or their intent! I am sick and tired of this absurd "take offense" zeitgeist that seems to be enveloping our societal interactions. It is anathema to me. Deal with your own reactions and interpretations on your own without invoking societal censure or sanction. IOW, grow up!
If it was just me saying this, you might be right. It has been pointed out by a number of posters quite a few times. Your attitude of 'how dare you mere mortals question me' gets a little boring.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:25 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,603,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I expect neither courtesy, respect, nor manners, or anything else for that matter from you, Badlander!
Cheers.
Yet you do not address his points at all, and, instead, do an ad hominem attack. Classy? Courteous? Showing manners? Respectful?

I think not.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:42 AM

853 posts, read 512,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Agreed. The marketplace of ideas should be a level playing field where every ideology and belief is both free, and obligated, to make its own case on its own merits.

The problem with a lot of religious people is they have grown very used to things being tilted heavily in their favor for most of human history, using everything from cultural / social pressure, including political influence, to blasphemy laws. In the past dozen or so generations this hegemony has been broken, first gradually, and then with accelerating speed.

What this accustomed unearned respect and deference has done is made religion intellectually sloppy and disinclined to "be ready to give an answer for the faith that is in them" as the NT commands. Or if they are ready, it is just to make assertions and not evidence them in any way. After all, they've never had to before!
Absolutely. The issue I take with many religious people is the lack of humility. You don't have proof. You have faith. Even if you believe you have strong evidence (a point with which I disagree, but that's OK,) there is a point when you need to take a significant leap of faith to believe. Have the humility to know you might be wrong. Without I doubt, I know many people for whom a faith and religious practice help them in this world. I know people for whom religion and faith motivates them to do good things for the world. As secular people, we are asked to see this and respect it. Religious people certainly expect secular folks to have humility about our opinions and get VERY sensitive when we don't treat their believes gently.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Absolutely. The issue I take with many religious people is the lack of humility. You don't have proof. You have faith. Even if you believe you have strong evidence (a point with which I disagree, but that's OK,) there is a point when you need to take a significant leap of faith to believe. Have the humility to know you might be wrong. Without I doubt, I know many people for whom a faith and religious practice help them in this world. I know people for whom religion and faith motivates them to do good things for the world. As secular people, we are asked to see this and respect it. Religious people certainly expect secular folks to have humility about our opinions and get VERY sensitive when we don't treat their believes gently.
well stated

Old 09-09-2022, 11:47 AM

16,009 posts, read 7,059,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yet you do not address his points at all, and, instead, do an ad hominem attack. Classy? Courteous? Showing manners? Respectful?

I think not.

I am going to take the liberty of quoting Mystic's very reasonable response.

Quote:

Old 09-09-2022, 12:30 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,348,330 times
Nanny nanny boo boo.

Perhaps we just need a seperate forum

We'll call it THE CEREBRAL OCTOGON.

The only requirement for entrance?

You must be an egomaniac with an inferiority complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality