Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 11:04 AM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Not really. There are many paths to finding God. Different saints reached the goal in different ways. Some with contemplation, others with devotion, others with meditation and Pranayama techniques etc.

If Jesus, Buddha, Krishna and others would get together to have a conversation (on CD for instance ), they would get along just fine.

What I did (because I nedeed proof of God's existence, I have a rational mind) is to experiment. So I started to meditate. Using different techniques, breathing exercises, reading about saints and avatars, everything that I could find. But I had to experiment to see if I get any proof, any results. Because reading about it was interesting but it also sounded like SF to me.

One doesn't need to believe in anything in order to experiment and to start meditating. At least you can say that you tried.
Stop speaking for Buddha. He would get along, but Buddha did not believe in a creator god. Take it from a Buddhist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I did not see where the poster you are quoting said that. Can you quote her properly, as required by the forum rules and by any measure of engaging with honesty, rather than your inference which is wrong?
I wasn't aware that there was a rule against paraphrasing.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
There are many paths to the same God. An universal God. There are many manifestations of God, as light, peace, love etc. Each person might have a different idea of God and can reach the goal (of finding God) in a very personal, unique way.

This is just my understanding. You don't have to believe me, if you ("you" in general) don't care about any of this, it's OK.

Take care.
perfect

Old 08-21-2022, 11:44 AM

22,605 posts, read 19,315,977 times
Quote:
I did not see where the poster you are quoting said that. Can you quote her properly, as required by the forum rules and by any measure of engaging with honesty, rather than your inference which is wrong?
i agree that the "paraphrasing" does not accurately represent the post it quoted. it did however put words in someone else's mouth. his own words, his own ideas. not those of the post that he responded to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So experiencing other gods is a path to your god?
How does that work?
Quote:
Not really. There are many paths to finding God. Different saints reached the goal in different ways. Some with contemplation, others with devotion, others with meditation and Pranayama techniques etc.

If Jesus, Buddha, Krishna and others would get together to have a conversation (on CD for instance ), they would get along just fine.

What I did (because I nedeed proof of God's existence, I have a rational mind) is to experiment. So I started to meditate. Using different techniques, breathing exercises, reading about saints and avatars, everything that I could find. But I had to experiment to see if I get any proof, any results. Because reading about it was interesting but it also sounded like SF to me.

One doesn't need to believe in anything in order to experiment and to start meditating. At least you can say that you tried.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:22 PM

33,341 posts, read 26,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
God did do it. Anything and Everything is created and/or occurs by and through God (Reality/All That Is).

Anything that humans find out about "how it happened" is just finding out how God functioned and is comprised.
It also doesn't/wouldn't matter if we never figured that out.
It IS what it is, and how it is...regardless.
Well, while I do believe that God created the universe (big bang) we know that the Universe could have created itself out of nothing. In fact we can produce matter out of nothing in a lab. See my thread in the science forum on the space sub-forum. And see also post 27 which I just now posted on the thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/spac...atter-out.html

This might be a bit off topic.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:59 PM

412 posts, read 138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
This book was suggested on another forum, and wanted to ask if anyone here has read this book? I've always been conflicted on our place in the extremely large Universe and how religion and science fit together.

The Holy Science
https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Science-...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi
I think understanding our place in the Universe is crucial to understanding humanities' origins. If earth exists in one of the Universe's spiral arms, chances are it is not unique.
The Holy-Science-Self-Realization-Fellowship seems to refer to enlightenment, not so much the physical universe.
Here's an excerpt from a 5-star review of the text from Amazon:
5.0 out of 5 stars
Should you really want to know the mysterious nature of the universe and what lies behind it
Reviewed in the United Kingdom

Old 10-10-2022, 12:23 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Stop speaking for Buddha. He would get along, but Buddha did not believe in a creator god. Take it from a Buddhist.
To be accurate, Buddha did not want to believe in ANY permanent entity for fear that samsara would never end. That could be interpreted as a lack of trust in God, not necessarily a lack of belief in one. Just another view from an ex-Buddhist.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:37 PM

16,084 posts, read 7,093,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To be accurate, Buddha did not want to believe in ANY permanent entity for fear that samsara would never end. That could be interpreted as a lack of trust in God, not necessarily a lack of belief in one. Just another view from an ex-Buddhist.
How do you believe what you don’t trust?
What is an-atma, not-atma or not-soul, in Buddhism?

Old 10-10-2022, 02:36 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
How do you believe what you don’t trust?
What is an-atma, not-atma or not-soul, in Buddhism?
IMO it is pretty much as our scientists believe, karma is simply one of the indifferent cosmic "laws" of existence that ceases for any entity who loses the desire to exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality