Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 06:10 AM

573 posts, read 260,227 times

Advertisements

Whenever i'm around Christians or other Fanatics, i often hear the phrase 'Praise God' or 'Praise be to God' ~
If they are Muslim, they would say 'God is Great' ... or 'Allah is God' !~

Its usually after hearing some good news or what's interpreted as good news.

The weird thing is i have often heard this phrase after someone has accomplished a significant task~

Fanatics will often say OUT-LOUD 'Praise Jesus' (as if God is listening and watching them 'Virtue Signal'~)____ Wat da ???
  • EX. Johnny fixes Bob's car. Bob might say 'Praise be to God' (not thank you Johnny you're a genius with cars). NOOO...these nuts start ranting about their God in the Sky who gets the credit for 'fixing the car' (poor Johnny).
  • EX 2. Dr. Dale operates on Suzy (the fanatic) and save's her life. A few days later in recovery, Suzy rants out 'Praise be to God'...i am healed. ~ (not thanks Dr.).
???

What's up with Fanatics that they can't give credit where due?
I would venture to say 'they refuse to acknowledge or praise anything that Man himself accomplishes'
  • They don't want 'a Man' to get the credit he deserves...!
Fanatics are so competitive in their Psychosis, they WANT TO TAKE AWAY credit and give it to their Imaginary God?

WHY IS THIS....What does this prove?

Thoughts / Comments ?

Last edited by The First; 07-01-2022 at 06:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 06:14 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Did your parents ever take you to church when you were young, at least once in a while? A little bible study perhaps?

Old 07-01-2022, 07:16 AM

1,480 posts, read 478,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
Whenever i'm around Christians or other Fanatics, i often hear the phrase 'Praise God' or 'Praise be to God' ~

The weird thing is i have often heard this phrase after someone has accomplished a significant task~

Fanatics will often say OUT-LOUD 'Praise Jesus' (as if God is listening and watching them 'Virtue Signal'~)____ Wat da ???
  • EX. Johnny fixes Bob's car. Bob might say 'Praise be to God' (not thank you Johnny you're a genius with cars). NOOO...these nuts start ranting about their God in the Sky who gets the credit for 'fixing the car' (poor Johnny).
  • EX 2. Dr. Dale operates on Suzy (the fanatic) and save's her life. A few days later in recovery, Suzy rants out 'Praise be to God'...i am healed. ~ (not thanks Dr.).
???

I would venture to say 'they refuse to acknowledge or praise anything that Man himself accomplishes'
Fanatics are so competitive in their Psychosis, they WANT TO TAKE AWAY credit and give it to their Imaginary God?

Thoughts / Comments ?
I give praise to God for your diminishing characterization in your post. I don't view God as merely a fair weather friend, rather as the One who sees me through it all, even the fool makers, persecution and Death. I acknowledge and look too God even in my failures, as One who sees me through it all.

When you see a baseball player hit a home run and point to the sky in acknowledgement of God, it would mean more to me to see him do the same when he hits into a double play.

When Leah gave birth to Judah she named him giving praise to God, acknowledging that God loved her and saw her through it all, even the unlove of her husband, which is what she sought in the birth of her first three children. And the birth of Judah is the foundation for the blessing Judah received.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:37 AM

19,016 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Huh... sort of related... was watching one of the latest Star Track series episode and - who knows in what century in the future, in very advanced technological civilization, one of the crew members, after they, as always, got out of some trouble, says - Thanks God! That rasped my ear quite a bit. It was just so...16th century...

Old 07-01-2022, 07:42 AM

1,480 posts, read 478,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewellCityJoe View Post
I grew up in the Church. A long established denomination at that. As a kid I would hear older people speaking of "Holy Rollers and Fly by Night Religions" etc. It wasn't until much later that I would witness the Tent Revival "Sin Shouter's" traveling about the country crowbarring money out of those in attendance. It's nothing new, but likewise the warnings in the Bible regarding this practice are older.

Somewhere in the 1970's (in my time) Televangelicals and "Big Box" congregational Churches exploded on the scene. All too often it was "Buzz Word" religion. I think the PTL Club with Jim & Tammy Fay exploited this best with the little refrigerator door magnets they hawked on their show where the words followed the events of their shows. I remember, "Forgiven" was one of the biggest blow outs after Jim was caught cheating with Jessica Hahn. Even at the entrance of the PTL Park "Forgiven" was planted as a flower garden display.

Before long these groups were associating with Politics and trying to Shepard the members votes. I often wondered if they were paid for this service.

I think a lot of this came to be when some of the Ministries wanted to promote wearing a cross on the sleeve with their congregation in order to elevate the Church over the people to have a more wealthy/powerful front befor the public. Money and Power seemed to spiral upward after that.

When I was in youth fellowship we were shown a movie titled "Marjoe". It was the story of a child whose parents were evangelicals and whose father took all the money another woman leaving Mom and the Boy stranded. Mom dressed little Marjoe up fancy (Little Lord Fauntleroy style) and put him on stage to preach and get lots of money for them and the crew that traveled with them. Marjoe Gortner is still alive today. The child took his ques from Mom who would say certain "Buzz Words" that would inform him to double down on the subject or get off the subject. Those of the troupe would be scattered around in the audience to gauge audience reaction and say certain "Buzz Words" that would be que's for Mom. This is all very well orchestrated in these events. Marjoe was just a kid dressed to look even younger but capable of preaching on a handful of themes he was taught and rehearsed to deliver. Marjoe was billed as "The Child Evangelist" and he packed houses.

It would be wise for those who want to engage in Preaching for Profit to heed the warnings of the Bible. (see below)

God speaks harshly against false prophets, occult practices, and other means of sorcery. God describes a false prophet as one who “presumes to speak in My name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods†(Deuteronomy 18:20). In Jeremiah 14:14, God says these evildoers prophesy lies, offering “false visions, divinations, idolatries, and the delusions of their own minds.â€
When God got my attention I went among the religious folks for a brief time, I saw the whole production. I looked to God for answers, and for a time pointed out what they were doing, and then I really saw what was behind their facade. I suffered and then discovered that wasn't my fight.

Even beyond that I discovered the changes they made at the core of their indoctrination and teachings. I hope there comes a day when those trapped under their influence see past all those religious leaders. As they exalt themselves and place themselves between God and the people and try to keep them under their spell and lie.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:00 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

???

Thoughts / Comments ?
I'll tell you where it annoyed me.

There were a couple of times, as a principal, that I was holding a suspension conference. To use George Bush's phrase, I, Victor, was "the decider". I was a CINO at the time, but an active Buddhist. And when I decided on a lesser penalty than a 3 or 5 day out-of-school suspension (for example a 2 day in-school suspension), what did I hear? "Praise be to god". It should have been 'Praise be to Victor', because Victor made the multiple out-of-school suspension disappear.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:41 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:

???

Thoughts / Comments ?
It's just a way of expressing things within some religious cultures. I have a friend who was raised Catholic but then became "born-again" and joined a fundamentalist denomination called The Vineyard. She found satisfaction and happiness in her religion, but like most converts, she was very enthusiastic about it at first. Her speech was riddled with "Praise Jesus" and "Praise God" even when it sounded a little ridiculous, and that's probably just a feature of the church in which she was involved.

"And my son passed his eighth-grade math exam, PRAISE GOD, because he had struggled so with the subject..." things like that. I noticed that as the years went by, she calmed down with that a bit.

Again, it's more of a language thing for people who move in certain circles than anything else. I don't let it annoy me.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:30 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,193,756 times
[Analogy Mode on]
Imagine you're a blood corpuscle in a body. Something good happens to you - a white corpuscle stops a bacterium from damaging you. You praise the body that encloses you. You're grateful you weren't leaked out, and abandoned to dry up.
. . .

Those who perceive that they're part of a larger consciousness, express their gratitude likewise.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:30 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Many Christians don't yell and shout anything. It's the most charismatic that visibly do so. You may despise that, but it's their freedom and liberty.

If you don't like that, then choose do be around different persons.

There - we just solved your crisis

Maybe your emotional reaction to other's freedoms is the bigger matter to face today. Are these people whining about things you do? I highly doubt it. But it's easier to find blame with others than face the mirror and the source.
Oh really?

Old 07-01-2022, 09:33 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Whenever i'm around Christians or other Fanatics, i often hear the phrase 'Praise God' or 'Praise be to God' ~ ....(snip-a-thon) WHY IS THIS....What does this prove?

Thoughts / Comments ?
Many Christians don't yell and shout anything. It's the most charismatic that visibly do so. You may despise that, but it's their freedom and liberty. It's between them and God, so they owe you no explanation.

You can always choose do be around different persons. There - we just solved your crisis

Your emotional reaction to others' freedoms is the real issue to confront today. Are these people whining about things you do? I highly doubt it. But it's easier for you to childishly blame others than face the mirror and source of angst. They don't need to, and aren't going to, change anything, but you could and should. Until then though, enjoy your festival of gripe and misery!

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-01-2022 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality