Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 06:43 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I understand your view but was not addressing it or whether I agree with it.

But since you brought it up, I think Buddhists get to describe their own beliefs and what they mean. And from everything I have read, Buddha himself allegedly said not to worship him and that he was not a god. So I would have to conclude that your definition of god is rather different from how it is generally understood and discussed. If all that is required for the label "god" is that a person or thing is highly revered, then by that definition one could say that Buddha is divine, but then I think you are doomed to talk past most other folks on this topic.
There are a large number of Chinese gods who actual people who were later promoted to this position. These different definitions of what a god is make the word appear meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 06:54 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
I understand your view but was not addressing it or whether I agree with it.

But since you brought it up, I think Buddhists get to describe their own beliefs and what they mean. And from everything I have read, Buddha himself allegedly said not to worship him and that he was not a god. So I would have to conclude that your definition of god is rather different from how it is generally understood and discussed. If all that is required for the label "god" is that a person or thing is highly revered, then by that definition one could say that Buddha is divine, but then I think you are doomed to talk past most other folks on this topic.
Just most folks with a western mindset. Spiritualism is on life support in the west. Not all people in the west reject spiritualism or the divinity within. They reach for it within their own religious texts and then reach out to Eastern thoughts and practices. Spirituality does not cater to the lowest common denominator. It is state of higher evolution from the merely material.
When Buddhists revere Buddha, which they do, they are revering the divinity that exists in all of us. When they revere the bhikshus and give them alms it is the same.
Buddha did not write anything down, he taught. He taught the way to end suffering. No westerner on this forum who post prodigious number of posts , as far as I can see, would follow any of that because it is against what America reveres - capitalism and more capitalism. It would be sacrilegious. Just because one claims to be a Buddhist, after trying out several religions, his voice has no more authority than the Buddhists who were born on the same soil as Buddha himself did, and practice their worship.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:55 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Just most folks with a western mindset. Spiritualism is on life support in the west. Not all people in the west reject spiritualism or the divinity within. They reach for it within their own religious texts and then reach out to Eastern thoughts and practices. Spirituality does not cater to the lowest common denominator. It is state of higher evolution from the merely material.
When Buddhists revere Buddha, which they do, they are revering the divinity that exists in all of us. When they revere the bhikshus and give them alms it is the same.
Buddha did not write anything down, he taught. He taught the way to end suffering. No westerner on this forum who post prodigious number of posts , as far as I can see, would follow any of that because it is against what America reveres - capitalism and more capitalism. It would be sacrilegious. Just because one claims to be a Buddhist, after trying out several religions, his voice has no more authority than the Buddhists who were born on the same soil as Buddha himself did, and practice their worship.
I don't have a problem with you calling it worship or holding Buddha in reverence. But you go too far in describing how Buddhists treat Buddha as a god. And by the way, Buddha was not born in Thailand, Burma, Vietnam, China, or Japan, and yet there are Buddhists in all those (and many other) places.

You love critiquing my religious beliefs. I haven't returned the favor. I haven't talked about many-headed and many-armed gods and goddesses, half-human-half-elephant talking gods, or praying to bulls.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:10 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
There are a large number of Chinese gods who actual people who were later promoted to this position. These different definitions of what a god is make the word appear meaningless.
What little I know about eastern thought is mostly Buddhist so whether these beings you are referring to are gods or demigods or ascended masters or ancestors I don't pretend to know. But I do know that Buddha did not want to be worshiped or even uncritically believed. He said you have to check out his claims for yourself basically. Also phet may happen to be a Western Buddhist but has gone to some lengths to study his faith in Thailand itself and with Thai congregations in the US, so I tend to trust his take on these things. And he has repeatedly said he does not worship Buddha and that members of his sect do not do so. That the shrines in his home have a different significance than that of god worship. I tend to believe what he says about whether Buddhism is theistic over someone trying to force-fit their own ideas from outside that faith.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
What little I know about eastern thought is mostly Buddhist so whether these beings you are referring to are gods or demigods or ascended masters or ancestors I don't pretend to know. But I do know that Buddha did not want to be worshiped or even uncritically believed. He said you have to check out his claims for yourself basically. Also phet may happen to be a Western Buddhist but has gone to some lengths to study his faith in Thailand itself and with Thai congregations in the US, so I tend to trust his take on these things. And he has repeatedly said he does not worship Buddha and that members of his sect do not do so. That the shrines in his home have a different significance than that of god worship. I tend to believe what he says about whether Buddhism is theistic over someone trying to force-fit their own ideas from outside that faith.
Thank you.

It is an individual path, but western Buddhism does not impress me...except to often be almost pop Buddhism...which I dislike. But, to each his own.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:23 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Well I am no capitalist so I guess I have that going for me, lol.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't have a problem with you calling it worship or holding Buddha in reverence. But you go too far in describing how Buddhists treat Buddha as a god. And by the way, Buddha was not born in Thailand, Burma, Vietnam, China, or Japan, and yet there are Buddhists in all those (and many other) places.

You love critiquing my religious beliefs. I haven't returned the favor. I haven't talked about many-headed and many-armed gods and goddesses, half-human-half-elephant talking gods, or praying to bulls.
Go ahead and talk about all you know about Hinduism. I don't own it, it is not mine. What ludicrous ideas you have. Absolutely Hindusim embraces all of it. It also contains Advaita. So feel free any time you feel like expounding. While at it you may want to take a look at Greek mythology as well.

Buddha was born in only one place, like all humans do. Lumbini, in what is now Nepal which is 98% Hindu and he himself was a Hindu well versed in all its sacred texts. What shocked him into renouncing his kingdom and wife and child was the sudden exposure to suffering,, death and disease and poverty that he saw for the first time out of the palace, where he was sheltered until then. Renouncing the family and possessions is a time honored radiation in HInduism for those who seek enlightenment and he tred the same path. What he rejected was not wisdom within Hinduism but the rites. He took his knowledge to the poorest of the poor and the suffering, and taught the ways to nirvana. All this is within Hindu tradition. Worship is Hindu tradition. It is not the worship of the mortal body, it is the reverence to the divinity within. And that is what Buddhists do when they worship an image of the Buddha, which is not his name but a title, One Who Has Attained Knowledge.

What traveled to China and rest of Asia were the Buddha's teaching beginning with the Chinese and later also Muslim scholars who traveled India and studied Sanskrit and then translated those texts into Chinese and Persian. The East is land of richness in spirituality and reverence of knowledge.
It is pitiful really how little you seem to know about Buddhism that you seem to think you own. Go ahead and entertain us with your knowledge of Hinduism. You dont need my permission.

Old 05-09-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I dont know what Buddha exactly said. He had a few followers and he travelled to teach. What has been written down was some hundred years after his death. His words have been translated into Chinese and Persian because people revered his thoughts. I cannot imagine him asking to be worshipped. Nobody does that. Those who are touched by his teachings revere him, as people do to this day in the east, revere teachers because knowledge IS god. If atheist fear worship they should not worship. They however have nothing to say to those who are moved to worship and do. Thailand may have its own way of practicing Buddhism, as do the Chinese in communist China as do Balanese or Koreans in their countries, and Asians in Ohio.

Old 05-09-2022, 01:28 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Go ahead and talk about all you know about Hinduism. I don't own it, it is not mine. What ludicrous ideas you have. Absolutely Hindusim embraces all of it. It also contains Advaita. So feel free any time you feel like expounding. While at it you may want to take a look at Greek mythology as well.

Buddha was born in only one place, like all humans do. Lumbini, in what is now Nepal which is 98% Hindu and he himself was a Hindu well versed in all its sacred texts. What shocked him into renouncing his kingdom and wife and child was the sudden exposure to suffering,, death and disease and poverty that he saw for the first time out of the palace, where he was sheltered until then. Renouncing the family and possessions is a time honored radiation in HInduism for those who seek enlightenment and he tred the same path. What he rejected was not wisdom within Hinduism but the rites. He took his knowledge to the poorest of the poor and the suffering, and taught the ways to nirvana. All this is within Hindu tradition. Worship is Hindu tradition. It is not the worship of the mortal body, it is the reverence to the divinity within. And that is what Buddhists do when they worship an image of the Buddha, which is not his name but a title, One Who Has Attained Knowledge.

What traveled to China and rest of Asia were the Buddha's teaching beginning with the Chinese and later also Muslim scholars who traveled India and studied Sanskrit and then translated those texts into Chinese and Persian. The East is land of richness in spirituality and reverence of knowledge.
It is pitiful really how little you seem to know about Buddhism that you seem to think you own. Go ahead and entertain us with your knowledge of Hinduism. You dont need my permission.
i learn so much from cb's posts.
as do many many many other readers, i am sure of it.

the information, views, insights, and learning expressed in her posts
really add so much to the forum.

her posts are like finding a glittering diamond in the dust of daily life.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i learn so much from cb's posts.
as do many many many other readers, i am sure of it.

the information, views, insights, and learning expressed in her posts
really add so much to the forum.

her posts are like finding a glittering diamond in the dust of daily life.
You keep saying not to talk about individuals...and here you are talking about individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality