Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 05:03 AM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is such a simple concept, one must ask why some people can not understand it.
He knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 08:14 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
"Prophet Lot"?

Huh?

Old 04-13-2022, 08:44 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
"Prophet Lot"?

Huh?
The OP is Muslim. To Christians, yes, making Lot a prophet is a bit of a stretch, but they have a list of 25. Found this in a Google search.

https://www.kpl.gov/catalog/item/?i=...s%20(Elias)%2C

Old 04-13-2022, 11:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The OP is Muslim. To Christians, yes, making Lot a prophet is a bit of a stretch, but they have a list of 25. Found this in a Google search.

https://www.kpl.gov/catalog/item/?i=...s%20(Elias)%2C
I gather that. Just never heard him referred to as a "prophet". Lot wasn't a good guy. No indication he was a prophet in the Biblical texts. He certainly didn't do much to convert Sodom or Gomorrah.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I explain to literalists that it is a metaphorical and allegorical work of literary art that is about God and that which God is comprised of. But I do not have a problem with literal interpretations...as long as they accept everything it says literally.
I also avoid Devils Advocate type stuff...as that is typically just a way to be insulting and mocking.
If someone is noting the story of Lot and presenting it as a a story about "a dude facilitating the gang rape of his teen daughters", or, "a guy that offers his female children to strangers, to be used as sex toys"...they are certainly offering that account in as literal a interpretation as it gets.
Here is the thing though...if these stories are not taken in the literal sense, the overall intention falls completely apart.

Lots actions are meant to teach us what is the right thing to do, in such a situation, but if the story is viewed as symbolic or metaphorical, there is no lesson to learn.

And really, the same could be said of the 10 commandments, the golden rule, and so on...maybe these were not meant to be taken literally?

Old 04-17-2022, 10:26 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Here is the thing though...if these stories are not taken in the literal sense, the overall intention falls completely apart.

Lots actions are meant to teach us what is the right thing to do, in such a situation, but if the story is viewed as symbolic or metaphorical, there is no lesson to learn.

And really, the same could be said of the 10 commandments, the golden rule, and so on...maybe these were not meant to be taken literally?
Allegories have utility. Symbols have utility (in fact the mind deals heavily in symbols).

I mean taken literally, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah is what to do if god sends angels to visit you in a neighborhood of depraved sexual predators. On that level, it doesn't have much general utility. I have yet to encounter that scenario in MY life at any rate, lol.

Literalness is a continuum, not a binary choice, too. The angels can be symbolic or allegorical placeholders for visitors in general, the crowd of perverts could be a stand in for any sort of jeopardy, yet the story's intent might be literally how to protect strangers who come under your roof. Just to float a possibility.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Allegories have utility. Symbols have utility (in fact the mind deals heavily in symbols).

I mean taken literally, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah is what to do if god sends angels to visit you in a neighborhood of depraved sexual predators. On that level, it doesn't have much general utility. I have yet to encounter that scenario in MY life at any rate, lol.

Literalness is a continuum, not a binary choice, too. The angels can be symbolic or allegorical placeholders for visitors in general, the crowd of perverts could be a stand in for any sort of jeopardy, yet the story's intent might be literally how to protect strangers who come under your roof. Just to float a possibility.
The story of Lot's wife has utility in that the lesson could be to keep focused on where you are going instead of living in the past. They were leaving everything they knew and going into the unknown. Lot's wife could have been said to be "romancing" her former life the way an addict romancing a drug will prevent them from escaping.

Of course, I already thought that and made the story of Lot fit.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:16 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
A little-known fact is that Lot was never able to return to the place of his wife's demise because he just couldn't stand to see the deer licking her.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:04 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
A little-known fact is that Lot was never able to return to the place of his wife's demise because he just couldn't stand to see the deer licking her.
Hah - Good one!

Old 04-17-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Lol. Wasn't salt considered good in Biblical times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality