Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 10:17 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is an interesting point. My favorite story in the whole Bible is the one where God zapped Uzza for trying to steady the Ark with his hand.

Uzza was kind of in a no win situation on that because he likely would have gotten zapped just the same if the Ark had hit the ground... unless of course God blamed one of the other guys carrying the Ark.

But rules are rules. Touch the Ark...get zapped.
I was not familiar with the story of Uzzah.
But I like how various Christian sites help explain it:

One Christian site comment/ explanation: Those who attempt to direct God's work without His authority bring spiritual death upon themselves.

Among others that attempt to rationalize it:

https://lifehopeandtruth.com/bible/h...f-uzza-unfair/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 03:48 AM

6,795 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I was not familiar with the story of Uzzah.
But I like how various Christian sites help explain it:

One Christian site comment/ explanation: Those who attempt to direct God's work without His authority bring spiritual death upon themselves.

Among others that attempt to rationalize it:

https://lifehopeandtruth.com/bible/h...f-uzza-unfair/
Ah yes, the story of Uzzah being zapped by God for (apparently) a knee-jerk response to prevent the ark from toppling over is a well-known one. It's also pretty well-known as to how many Christians jump to God's defense for HIS knee-jerk response in having zapped Uzzah. This really DOES seem to highlight a petty God who appears to throw a hissy fit and lash out at the slightest thing. However, I'm not questioning God. I'm questioning the storyteller and also probably the story itself . . .similarly so regarding the story of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Ah yes, the story of Uzzah being zapped by God for (apparently) a knee-jerk response to prevent the ark from toppling over is a well-known one. It's also pretty well-known as to how many Christians jump to God's defense for HIS knee-jerk response in having zapped Uzzah. This really DOES seem to highlight a petty God who appears to throw a hissy fit and lash out at the slightest thing. However, I'm not questioning God. I'm questioning the storyteller and also probably the story itself . . .similarly so regarding the story of Sodom and Gomorrah.
Well these OT stories are supposed to be God inspired, but in the end many of them read as stories that cannot be taken seriously.
Also, some of these Christian defences are pretty lame.
Christians are supposed to have the "Gift of Discernment", and be on the look out for "false teachers" and "false teachings", and yet they are incapable of critical thinking on stories such as these.
If God says or does something, then that must be unchallengeable.
It's like having to teach your kids not take everything they hear from other people as "gospel", and be able to make their own judgements and critiques on people, situations and other things.
Most people as they age, are not that naive and gullible.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:33 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
He needed the salt.

Old 04-14-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
He needed the salt.
I’m sure there was enough salt around.
Plus the Romans “salted the earth” when they conquered a territory as well.
But in all seriousness, this story sounds like indigenous natives explanation about a peculiar rock formation.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:35 AM

30 posts, read 21,361 times
No she simple turned and looked when she was warned not to look back.It wasn't just LGBT it was father sister brother mother everyone was defiled.But make it only a gay issue and ignore the rest.Anti gay love to jump on this bible story and make it only about gay people but the bible clearly states all the people were defiled from the oldest to the youngest male and female.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:45 AM

45,580 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is an interesting point. My favorite story in the whole Bible is the one where God zapped Uzza for trying to steady the Ark with his hand.

Uzza was kind of in a no win situation on that because he likely would have gotten zapped just the same if the Ark had hit the ground... unless of course God blamed one of the other guys carrying the Ark.

But rules are rules. Touch the Ark...get zapped.
Or.... they could have just followed His instructions and carried the ark properly. They were giddy and unfocused and forgot the rules for carrying the ark. And you are right - someone was going to get it even if it fell and someone tried to pick it up.

They figured it out later and all went well.

God don't play when dealing with being in His presence.

Old 05-28-2023, 11:07 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Hi

I was wondering if I can find any similarities about the Sodom & Gomorrah story between the Quran & Christian scriptures. In the Quran it says that even though his wife did not commit any gay act, God still destroyed her because she was verbally very supportive of LGBT. She used to side with the homosexuals and even worked as a spy for them against her husband.

Here’s the Quranic story: God sent a couple very handsome angels to Prophet Lot’s house to test the people of Sodom & Gommorah. His wife then spread the word about them throughout the town. The lustful men came running to Prophet Lot’s house to fulfill their desires. After they came to his house, Prophet Lot said, if you are interested, you may marry my virgin daughters. The men replied “Don’t be silly, you know we aren’t interested in them. And you know why we are here.” They wanted to have sex with the angels who were disguised as handsome men. Prophet Lot asked them to stop looking at men with lust and forbade them from having sex as God commanded. They did not listen.

God commanded Prophet Lot and his family to leave the city. God then destroyed the city and his wife. He destroyed his wife as well because she was an ally for the homosexuals. Is that similar to what it says in Christian scriptures ?
Uh I think you got that backwards. And I think you may be tra-la-la-ing. So here's my advice. Read the bible for yourself and you'll see that what your Quran says IS NOT what you said above. What you said that I highlighted in blue is from the bible, not the Quran.

You're not being truthful. Lot's wife did not turn to a pillar of salt because she supported LGBTQ, that's ridiculous. It was because they were told not to look back and she did.

I think you are trying real hard to fool people into believing this because a lot of professing Christians haven't even read the bible.

This has no effect on me, I don't believe any of it because I'm an atheist. Get your story straight man.

I have not read the whole thread, I'm sure your errors have been corrected. It bears repeating.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
But in all seriousness, this story sounds like indigenous natives explanation about a peculiar rock formation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
You're not being truthful. Lot's wife did not turn to a pillar of salt because she supported LGBTQ, that's ridiculous. It was because they were told not to look back and she did.
The Hebrews did not write that story. They borrowed it and then centuries later, Jeremiah and Hilkiah butchered it.

A little background is necessary to understand the original story.

Oddly, numerous Sumerian and Akkadian texts are referred to as "star lists" and they all begin with the constellation Pisces.

That is disturbing because the prior Age of Pisces was circa 24,000 BCE. That suggests that the constellations were developed and recognized at that time, although it is possible the Sumerians worked backwards.

They would have been able to work backwards because each "Age" of a constellation was 2,160 years, meaning it would take Earth 25,920 years to traverse the constellations. That comports with modern science.

However, it begs the question, "Why Pisces?"

Many of these star list texts contain brief comments about the Age. For example, in the Age of Capricorn, people ate people. That is supported by archaeology which notes a high rate of cannibalism among human remains found in many locations around the Mediterranean Basin Region. A harsh frigid climate is blamed.

The comment for Leo (the Lion) circa 12,000 years ago says a pair of sphinx were constructed to commemorate the Deluge (not the "Flood"). Several texts state one was in the land of Magan (Egypt) and the other in an unidentifiable place many believe was western India/Pakistan.

Archaeologists discovered structures in Jericho circa 9,500 BCE have frescoes of the Crab (Cancer) painted on the walls. That was the Age of Cancer.

There are many artistic expressions of the Twins (Gemini) fighting the Bull (Taurus) and then later in age, many motifs of the Bull fighting the Ram (Aries).

Our story starts here.

Marduk claimed the Deluge somehow disturbed Earth and the timing of the Ages was now skewed, specifically it was retarded.

The other gods disagreed, so Marduk went to war against them to enforce his right to rule.

Marduk's son was Nabu (Nebuchadnezzar is named after Nabu) had his armies in Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities of the plains poised to strike.

Ninurta and Nergal retrieved the seven awesome weapons of destruction and destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities of the plain to wipe out Nabu's armies.

The priest-in-training Abram/Abraham would have known that and had access to those stories since his father Terah was chief priest of god Ninurta in the city of Ur. It's hardly shocking that Terah would pick up and move his family, which included his son Abram/Abraham and his daughter Serai/Sarah (later would later be Abram/Abraham's wife) to the city of Haran which was the principle city of Ninurta known in the Hurrian language as Teshub.

Then Arbam/Abraham and his half-sister wife Serai/Sarah came to Canaan.

Centuries later, Jeremiah and Hilkiah re-wrote the story into a morality play.

As you might expect, the translators of the texts who are not connected to any god-thing because there is no god-thing can't properly translate the passage.

The word in question is a Sumerian-Akkadian word, not a Hebrew word, and it specifically refers to the strange gases often seen in the salt marshes common in the area at night.

Another word for gas is vapor.

Accordingly, a correct translation is that Lot's wife turned into a vapor.

A better translation is that Lot's wife was vaporized.

There is also an issue with the phrase "looked back." The correct translation is "turned back" and if the translators were actually connected to a god-thing they would know that.

So Lot's wife turned back and headed to Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities of the plain and got vaporized by whatever it was that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities of the plain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality