Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 11:02 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,351,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I agree with Mystic about the screen, although I would no describe it that way as it makes me think of a team of little Harrys in my head watching the world on an internal monitor.

I describe it as an internal model of the external world, with our brain creating things like colors and sounds to represent the external vibrations in light and air. That is why you can still 'see' the world when you close your eyes, because you have this internal model in your head.
I understand what you mean. Dont really agree but do understand your explanation.

Apparently dogs dream in smells rather than images.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 01:39 PM

20,177 posts, read 13,610,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Apparently dogs dream in smells rather than images.
Both of our dogs regularly bark in their sleep, and move their legs as if running. The barks are muted, the leg movements twitchy, but they are unmistakable. They are clearly dreaming of their favorite activity, which is barking at people on the other side of our fence while running back and forth next to it.

I would expect smells to have a much more prominent role in dog dreaming since they experience life much more via smell than do we, and I do see their nostrils flaring and hear little snuffling sounds as they dream, it is just less obvious. But this is all as I'd expect ... they smell, they walk and run, they vocalize, they play in particular ways ... why would they dream strictly and only in smells?

Old 03-26-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Both of our dogs regularly bark in their sleep, and move their legs as if running. The barks are muted, the leg movements twitchy, but they are unmistakable. They are clearly dreaming of their favorite activity, which is barking at people on the other side of our fence while running back and forth next to it.

I would expect smells to have a much more prominent role in dog dreaming since they experience life much more via smell than do we, and I do see their nostrils flaring and hear little snuffling sounds as they dream, it is just less obvious. But this is all as I'd expect ... they smell, they walk and run, they vocalize, they play in particular ways ... why would they dream strictly and only in smells?
Much like we dream in images. Smells and sounds agument our visuals. Apparently dogs dream in smells but i assume tjat sounds and sights agument their dreams.

I am slmply going by one of Stanley Coren's book, probably How Dogs Think.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:07 PM

88,875 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Yep. The dog we just said goodbye to was running in his sleep quite a bit in the past year, even as his old legs got more and more wobbly in his waking life.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:52 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,798,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNinja View Post
-We are nothing more than randomly evolved clumps of carbon based biological goo with no divine purpose or design
-Microscopic scale nature is always trying to kill us
-Humans can be improved with the Science
-Human life would not be possible without injections and procedures from the Science
-Together with technology we can realize a paradise, but there is no room for heretical un-trusters in the Science
-Tech billionaires will lead us to utopia
-Wash your hands with holy hand sanitizer
-Get your regular Science injections
-Signal your belief in the Science with cloth over your face
-Pay your tithings to the Science via taxes
-Spend your life savings on blessings from the Science in the last few years of life

What else?
The Scientific Method:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/scien...entific-method

Study the method and you'll sense that science is not religion.
Apply the method and you will know it is not.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yep. The dog we just said goodbye to was running in his sleep quite a bit in the past year, even as his old legs got more and more wobbly in his waking life.
It is always so sad to watch those bundles of joy lose their infnite energy and slowly slow down.

Our last dog could barely make it 3/4 round the block in he last weeks. The last legbof the walk was atvtop speed becaus she knew the treat was soon.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:14 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
The Scientific Method:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/scien...entific-method

Study the method and you'll sense that science is not religion.
Apply the method and you will know it is not.
The Catholics have something to say about that...contradictory to your claims (though in line with a bit of your link)...Religion may not *be* formal science, but it sure helped to bring it to fruition:
https://www.ncregister.com/blog/scientific-method
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality