Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 03:53 PM

20,089 posts, read 13,546,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That was my impression, too. I have known people who have converted into Judaism, and of course there was Sammy Davis. He certainly was not no longer Black when he became Jewish.

I'm just confused by the controversy.
Exactly. A friend of mine converted in his youth. He's Irish. A college friend of my wife converted to orthodox Judaism because she liked the structure; she had no Jewish blood in her at all. My wife is even, in a very distant sense, Jewish because her stepmother was Jewish and adopted her, and family lines in Judaism are matrilineal. This enabled her to get permission to live on a Kibbutz in Israel for a year after high school, although to her, it was just something fun to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 07:29 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,338,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
From here:
https://live-jweekly.alleydev.com/20...ge-old-debate/

"That’s because there are genetic markers distinct to the Eastern European Jewish population, partly due to a population “founder effect,” a way of saying that they descend from a small number of ancestors. Also, Jews in Europe tended to marry other Jews, making them endogamous."

The point is that for thousands of years, the Jews were an isolated group. God commanded them not to intermarry with other nations. They formed a distinct genetic group. It's because of this that I say it. They were a distinct people, isolated from other nations.

Now...how much that distinguishes you, personally? I have no clue.
So I probably am not genetically close to Sephardic Jews which was what i stated. I am closer in apperance etc to Russians or Swedes than to Mediterran peoples in which case that shows that Jews are not a race as Jews from Northern Africa appear totally different.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:06 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,058,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So I probably am not genetically close to Sephardic Jews which was what i stated. I am closer in apperance etc to Russians or Swedes than to Mediterran peoples in which case that shows that Jews are not a race as Jews from Northern Africa appear totally different.
Race? No. I don't think it's the right word. I personally only believe there is one "race", that being the human race, and we are all just different shades of that race.

Strannik33 probably best articulated it in post #11 https://www.city-data.com/forum/62820060-post11.html

If I had seen that one I might not have responded.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Race? No. I don't think it's the right word. I personally only believe there is one "race", that being the human race, and we are all just different shades of that race.

Strannik33 probably best articulated it in post #11 https://www.city-data.com/forum/62820060-post11.html

If I had seen that one I might not have responded.
Race is used in biology to describe different phenotypes of a species.

It is used negative by laymen to try to promote one group as superior and other groups inferior. Or should I say misued .

Old 02-03-2022, 10:05 AM

50,979 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Race is used in biology to describe different phenotypes of a species.

It is used negative by laymen to try to promote one group as superior and other groups inferior. Or should I say misued .
I would say it "can be used negatively..."

Old 02-03-2022, 10:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,648,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would say it "can be used negatively..."
Not trying to get into politics here, but we know from our American history, that OUR OWN govt has been guilty of using race negatively, in decades past, concerns over Chinese immigrants taking American jobs led to the creation of laws, (targeting specific races), same thing happened to black people as well in this country.

It will blow you away to read some of the things H. Anslinger said about these certain races, and laws that were needed to get them under control. THIS WAS OUR OWN GOVT!!

Old 02-03-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not trying to get into politics here, but we know from our American history, that OUR OWN govt has been guilty of using race negatively, in decades past, concerns over Chinese immigrants taking American jobs led to the creation of laws, (targeting specific races), same thing happened to black people as well in this country.

It will blow you away to read some of the things H. Anslinger said about these certain races, and laws that were needed to get them under control. THIS WAS OUR OWN GOVT!!
Surprise, surprise, it was not just the Anericam government but also its people. The same can be said of Britain, France, Canada or Australia and of course South Africa.

It may be hard to believe but we are more tolerant of different races, religions or genders than in the past. We even allow left handed people to write with their left hand.

It is probably this general higher tolerance that results in the outrage that burst out when people resort back to the superioity of their specific group.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:10 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,045,032 times
Then is there a different language that people are different ........ people can prejudice others than that is the offence of racism ....... Even people can hate others because of pride looking down of others is just the same as racism

Old 02-04-2022, 09:31 AM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Surprise, surprise, it was not just the Anericam government but also its people. The same can be said of Britain, France, Canada or Australia and of course South Africa.

It may be hard to believe but we are more tolerant of different races, religions or genders than in the past. We even allow left handed people to write with their left hand.

It is probably this general higher tolerance that results in the outrage that burst out when people resort back to the superioity of their specific group.
This indicates that it is actually a derivative of our tribal instincts more than race because we are all of the same human race.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:18 AM

50,979 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Then is there a different language that people are different ........ people can prejudice others than that is the offence of racism ....... Even people can hate others because of pride looking down of others is just the same as racism
I think you have to evaluate "looking down" on others.

Ralph is a drunkard. Over time he chose to drink more and more, he chose to hang out buddies in places where drinking was a way of life. A lot of choices there. -- VERSUS -- Jose is Latino. No choices there. I don't think looking down on someone who chooses a certain lifestyle is anywhere near the same as looking down on someone who is born a certain way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality