Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 10:20 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynaflex View Post
We don't attack "God". We attack the lie that there is a god, but heck, nice attempt at a strawman.
I don't think it's a lie. I think it's a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 11:49 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think it's a lie. I think it's a mistake.
Quote:
Would you agree with "falsehood"?
Phet is being more objective because we simply do not know and cannot know the truth of the matter. Lie mistakenly attributes deceptive motive to the one asserting. Falsehood attributes an unsupportable lack of truth to the assertion. Mistake acknowledges a subjective opinion about the assertion.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:57 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
I wonder how much time I have spent in this forum over the years addressing this issue of truth and how it does not depend on how we feel about it. Whether we think it is useful or not...

Religion, whether it is based on truth or not, has clearly been useful to millions of people over thousands of years. Useful in many ways both good and bad. Would be interesting to see what would happen if that usefulness were not so much a part of religion. By usefulness I mean the positive psychological effects. Of course there is the usefulness of religion with respect to gaining power and influence too. None of which necessarily has anything to do with truth. Most of which has nothing to do with truth for that matter.

No doubt that blurring of truth as a result of what we want to believe for other reasons will forever be a powerful influence when it comes to perpetuating religion into the future. Though it does seem those influences are not overcoming the fact that fewer and fewer people are associating themselves with a religion over time more recently. No doubt that trend will continue as the truth of these matters is further revealed and accepted by more and more people.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:10 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Do you not think the Pope and all his Bishops etc., don't realize what they are selling is false? Of course they do. It is impossible not to.
One surely has to wonder...

And as the falsehoods bring "policy" that can no longer be considered tenable, they change the policy. So maybe what God passed forth as truth in the early going is being reconsidered a bit. Even by the Pope and the Bishops. Just like many in leadership positions of other religions have had to do too.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Would you agree with "falsehood"?
Based on the definition "the state of being untrue"...but again, I don't think there is any intent to put forward incorrect beliefs.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Do you not think the Pope and all his Bishops etc., don't realize what they are selling is false? Of course they do. It is impossible not to.
I don't agree. I can't speak for the pope and the bishops, but I know people who honestly believe.

Again, in my view, it goes back to intent.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:41 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Do the alternatives to the christian beliefs about what happens after death directly affect your thinking and actions?
As already agreed, no one actually "knows", empirically what happens after death?

All we have is faith when we try to tackle/ponder upon this natural human curiosity. It doesn't matter whether you are an atheist or a believer or an agnostic.

And once you have faith about the unknown, it could potentially effect your actions. Isn't this basic common sense?

Old 02-24-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
As already agreed, no one actually "knows", empirically what happens after death?

All we have is faith when we try to tackle/ponder upon this natural human curiosity. It doesn't matter whether you are an atheist or a believer or an agnostic.

And once you have faith about the unknown, it could potentially effect your actions. Isn't this basic common sense?
I notice you didn't actually answer the question.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I don't agree. I can't speak for the pope and the bishops, but I know people who honestly believe.

Again, in my view, it goes back to intent.
I sorta agree with this.

The guy jumps into the lion's cage and believes that Jesus is going to save him. (Yeah right).

Whether he was mentally unstable or he fell for this kinda philosophy that required some sort of out of the ordinary attestation to get reassurance of his faith.

On the other hand, followers of the same Christian faith, have done quite a lot of good things for fellow humans. This could be charity work, free hospitals, volunteering, sponsorship of good causes etc.

So your actions are potentially effected by your faith, INCLUDING your faith about what happens after death.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I notice you didn't actually answer the question.
read above then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality