Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 08:04 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
Helps me to have more tranquility and less fear that even though life will have it challenges, God will make it right. This helps me to keep my focus and be more useful to others, instead of worrying or stressing over things that cannot be controlled.
In truth, regardless of belief, it is counterproductive for anyone to stress over what is not in their control.

The problem for me came in imagining god was in control of things, which ultimately did not prove to be the case. So expecting to be exempt from the "unthinkable" and then obliged to experience, remember and think it, is problematic. Until that happens though, sure, the idea that god has you in his back pocket can be comforting.

Until recently in this country there were so many lucky and privileged people that it was pretty easy to give god credit for your overall good fortune and rationalize the occasional exceptions to god's discipline, "testing" or "mysterious ways" / blessings in disguise, etc. I often wonder as the middle class disappears and the world slips into a more general dystopia, how well that will hold up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 08:18 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
Helps me to have more tranquility and less fear that even though life will have it challenges, God will make it right. This helps me to keep my focus and be more useful to others, instead of worrying or stressing over things that cannot be controlled.
When I look at all the people suffering with hunger or disease, the idea that god will "make it right" seems like a fantasy of the people who have a pretty good life to begin with (at least for the most part).

Old 01-30-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When I look at all the people suffering with hunger or disease, the idea that god will "make it right" seems like a fantasy of the people who have a pretty good life to begin with (at least for the most part).
Those of us with privilege tend to be blind to it. People who are, e.g., poor, in dead end / front line jobs, can't make ends meet or have physical or mental challenges, cannot sustain a reasonable hope of god, themselves or anything or anyone else "making things right". They are systematically mired in their circumstances and unlikely to rise above them, even though we don't have the additional burden of, say a caste system to make it even harder. Though I'd argue that the popularity of victim-blaming in our society serves much the same purpose.

Occasionally someone is violently severed from privilege and illustrates that principle. My wife just shared with me the story of a lovely young girl working her way through college as a dog walker. She was approaching graduation, had a steady boyfriend, all the trappings. And then she showed up at a new customer's house and had her face ripped off by the two dogs there, and now faces a lifetime of disability and social limitations. I have no clue whether she felt god was in control of her life but if she thought that before she surely can't now. Pesky ol' reality butting in again.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:45 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
When people say that "God will make it right", I think they just forget to add "in heaven."

Old 01-30-2022, 09:22 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
When people say that "God will make it right", I think they just forget to add "in heaven."

Old 01-30-2022, 10:10 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But, guess what, since some have a bad reaction ...
I won't be sharing anything like this again answering a question for the op.
Better not to rock the boat...like standing up ---''Look the sun finally!!! YAY!"
Not good.
Sorry to read this.
I thank you for your wonderful posts.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes that is definitely one workaround. You can rationalize some nonzero amount of injustice, lack of closure, tragic loss or whatever, by displacing it into an imagined afterlife. And the beauty of that is when it turns out there's no afterlife, you won't even know it.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Sorry to read this.
I thank you for your wonderful posts.
Ditto, Miss H.!!

Old 01-30-2022, 12:23 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes that is definitely one workaround. You can rationalize some nonzero amount of injustice, lack of closure, tragic loss or whatever, by displacing it into an imagined afterlife. And the beauty of that is when it turns out there's no afterlife, you won't even know it.
Yup.

Old 01-30-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Or, you will be surprised to learn how the Divine actually managed it all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality