Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 08:02 AM

269 posts, read 331,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
By our finite wisdom, it APPEARS to be 14 billion years old. But we don't really know.
Well, actually, there are seven different, independent observational tests that all confirm the 14 billion year figure, with a small margin of error. Here's some good reading: The Birth of Time: How Astronomers Measure the Age of the Universe [2001] -- John Gribbin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 08:03 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,094,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
Well, actually, there are seven different, independent observational tests that all confirm the 14 billion year figure, with a small margin of error. Here's some good reading: The Birth of Time: How Astronomers Measure the Age of the Universe [2001] -- John Gribbin
I get that. And they all make assumptions.

Even then...so what? So what if the universe is 100 TRILLION years old? Does that change the fact that it needed to be caused/created?

Old 01-02-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
...logic requires that SOMETHING started it.... What fired that off. Until you can explain that, I'll go with the idea of a Creator.
As I said, science currently has no answer for "what fired that off" due to a lack of evidence. So you are free to fill that gap with whatever you like. But of course, you'll have no evidence to back up whatever you put there.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:14 AM

16,867 posts, read 5,052,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I suppose ' known science ' about the accuracy of CMBR (Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) shows a start.
Yes, a start. Not the first beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
"In the beginning God created......" which is in harmony with today's known science that the universe had a beginning.
See above.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:19 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,094,969 times
Quote:
As I said, science currently has no answer for "what fired that off" due to a lack of evidence. So you are free to fill that gap with whatever you like. But of course, you'll have no evidence to back up whatever you put there.
Unless we come up with a better answer, a Creator is the most likely answer. Not sure why you and others can't seem to really grasp that, or are willing to go with that.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:25 AM

16,867 posts, read 5,052,325 times
Quote:
Unless we come up with a better answer, a Creator is the most likely answer. Not sure why you and others can't seem to really grasp that, or are willing to go with that.
Because it is false. An intelligent creator is the least likely explanation.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:01 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,111,370 times
Quote:
Doesn’t the same apply to those who fill in that blank by believing that a creator does not exist?, i.e, “Believe without evidence”.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:03 AM

20,177 posts, read 13,610,102 times
Quote:
Because it has logical holes you could drive a truck through. Neither I nor you have any concrete evidence, although I have some scientifically valid hypotheses.

You'd like it to be a capital-C Creator, and you assume it's YOUR (understanding of that) Creator, which is not based on anything but asserted truth without evidence, which in your belief-system, is actually a virtue (aka religious faith). I'd say that's as good an assumption as any, except that it isn't.

100% of everything we can document and observe is entirely explicable as a result of natural, undirected, impersonal processes, aka natural laws. It is therefore much more likely that natural processes brought forth the universe we now find ourselves in, than for an entirely different and essentially magical process to uniquely be true there.

It is of course a very human thing to want to relate what we see to what is familiar to our scope. It is an appealing, if not actually powerful, analogy that if you encounter a watch, there's a watch-maker, and then to apply that to everything in sight, including the origin of this universe (which BTW may not even be singular or unusual in any way).

Old 01-02-2022, 09:06 AM

20,177 posts, read 13,610,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Doesn’t the same apply to those who fill in that blank by believing that a creator does not exist?, i.e, “Believe without evidence”.
Not really. Because even without a settled explanatory framework, there are scientifically valid hypothesis that are far more likely to bear fruit than a magical explanation. So it is not "faith" in the religious sense but faith in the colloquial sense, that is, a reasonable belief based on past experience and existing patterns.

This subtlety is apt to be lost on a lot of people, though, because they doggedly assert that although many words have multiple definitions, this word "faith" has only one: theirs. In fact, in this case, the two definitions are almost opposites.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Because it is false. An intelligent creator is the least likely explanation.
I agree with Harry. Or at least, we have nothing to go on to determine what is "likely" and what is not, so it's up for grabs. But as Fundie said earlier, "So what?" Is a sure answer to "What started the Big Bang" a real necessity to our current lives? As scientists are well aware, there is nothing wrong with the answer "We don't know."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality