Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 03:27 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,041,835 times

Advertisements

God is the missing link for abundant life for humans, and God calls all to engage to receive Christ through Jesus for this missing part of people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 10:01 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,763,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwisden View Post
Why must god exist? Can someone give me a religious explanation?
Best I've been able to understand, the only reason god must exist is a religious reason, and if anyone doesn't know most of those reasons by now, I've really got to wonder why...

Old 01-01-2022, 10:10 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,056,709 times
Quote:
The simplest reason is cause and effect. We exist, as does the physical universe. So SOMETHING had to have caused that.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The most basic would be because there obviously is something responsible for all existence, life, and our consciousness which at a minimum would be defined as God.
Always interesting to see this sort of rationale repeated in this forum and everywhere else so quickly and confidently even though the only thing obvious here is the problem with this sort of rationale...

Just because something is responsible for all existence certainly does not mean a god must exist. Here yet again if we're going to accept that a god exists for this sort of reason, clearly we've got to apply the same sort of logic and reason toward explaining god's existence. To avoid that dead-end circular pretzel logic, we have little choice but to consider the fact that nothing is responsible for all that exists. That all existence has always been, with no beginning and no end.

Nothing more or less than all religious people seem perfectly able to comprehend about god. No different.

Not that this explanation can ever be accepted by religious people of course, so back to everyone's personal version of their god we go. The reasons we insist on this sort of pretzel logic is remarkable all considered, but there is evidence the "slow maturing of man" is beginning to bring about better reason and logic about the truth of these matters over time.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The simplest reason is cause and effect. We exist, as does the physical universe. So SOMETHING had to have caused that.
I always like to list the many things we humans attributed to god because of the same sort of logic. Many things we insisted were caused by god, the will of god, the wrath of god...

All of which we now know better to have been caused by SOMETHING else!

Old 01-01-2022, 11:34 AM

63,939 posts, read 40,202,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Always interesting to see this sort of rationale repeated in this forum and everywhere else so quickly and confidently even though the only thing obvious here is the problem with this sort of rationale...

Just because something is responsible for all existence certainly does not mean a god must exist. Here yet again if we're going to accept that a god exists for this sort of reason, clearly we've got to apply the same sort of logic and reason toward explaining god's existence. To avoid that dead-end circular pretzel logic, we have little choice but to consider the fact that nothing is responsible for all that exists. That all existence has always been, with no beginning and no end.

Nothing more or less than all religious people seem perfectly able to comprehend about god. No different.

Not that this explanation can ever be accepted by religious people of course, so back to everyone's personal version of their god we go. The reasons we insist on this sort of pretzel logic is remarkable all considered, but there is evidence the "slow maturing of man" is beginning to bring about better reason and logic about the truth of these matters over time.
Eliminating the stupid infinite regress just requires accepting that our Reality has always been with no beginning and no end. That supposition is applicable to both versions. Your unwarranted arrogance is reflected in the fact that you actually think your no God version is superior to the God version when NEITHER can be established unequivocally.

In fact, your version requires accepting the magical "emergence" of life and consciousness from a lifeless, nonconscious, elemental Reality. To any truly objective unbiased observer that is a higher bar than simply accepting that Reality itself is life and consciousness as the substrate.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:41 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,665,976 times
Quote:
Well..."G-O-D" is defined as it is...by experts that provide the meaning and definition of words & terms.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god

Based upon this...there are things that objectively exist that comport with those various meanings. Thus...GOD, as defined, must exist.
So...there ya go.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:48 PM

20,084 posts, read 13,539,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
God is a comedian playing to an audience that's too afraid to laugh/Voltaire

I love that saying!
Widely attributed to Voltaire but not actually found anywhere in his writings. It actually was uttered by HL Mencken.

In my personal experience of fundamentalism, it would better be phrased as "afraid not to laugh" since it is comedy after all. We were always bucking each other up to seem joyous and thrilled to be alive.

Old 01-01-2022, 04:37 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,056,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I always like to list the many things we humans attributed to god because of the same sort of logic. Many things we insisted were caused by god, the will of god, the wrath of god...

All of which we now know better to have been caused by SOMETHING else!
I'm not talking about the wind and the rain. I'm talking about the space for the universe. The matter. The fact that it all began in the first place.

Old 01-01-2022, 04:53 PM

20,084 posts, read 13,539,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm not talking about the wind and the rain. I'm talking about the space for the universe. The matter. The fact that it all began in the first place.
If you posit that god is a necessary cause for existence, it just kicks the can down the road, because now you still have a different uncaused thing: god. Making an exception for god would be a special pleading fallacy.

You also have the problem that even if there is a creator it doesn't mean that it's yours, or your understanding of him.

Even time itself breaks down as you approach the "big bang", near as I can understand this stuff without being a mathematician or a physicist. So I think people of all persuasions should quit making confident pronouncements about this until more data is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality