Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 09:54 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Except some of us are not 100% sure. (Admittedly, I may be misunderstanding what you're saying).
It's fine if you're not 100% sure.

It's the argument that you can't be 100% sure that gets me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 10:04 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

It's that argument that you can't be 100% sure that gets me.
I use to be sure that dinosaurs did not exist, however we now know that birds are a type of dinosaur. I would not rule out that a God could exist however I live my life as if one does not exist. The Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot and UFO are in the same category.

I do understand if you are 100%, the same as so many theists are 100% sure that he not only exists but helps their favourite team win the Super Bowl.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:07 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

It's the argument that you can't be 100% sure that gets me.
I am probably as atheist as it gets.

However.

I am open to a god or gods existing, IF I get clear evidence that is the case. I have no doubt that will never happen, but it would be just as unwise for one who subscribes to the concept of critical thinking to say no god or gods CAN exist, as it was at one time to suggest it was a god that caused thunder. We learned differently. Following the scientific method, to this point, no one can even offer that a repeatable observation of a god or gods has occurred, never mind being able to formulate a hypothesis to test.

Therefore, I am extremely comfortable and certain saying no god or gods have been shown to exist, and I do not believe that any such entities do.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:44 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I am probably as atheist as it gets.

However.

I am open to a god or gods existing, IF I get clear evidence that is the case. I have no doubt that will never happen, but it would be just as unwise for one who subscribes to the concept of critical thinking to say no god or gods CAN exist, as it was at one time to suggest it was a god that caused thunder. We learned differently. Following the scientific method, to this point, no one can even offer that a repeatable observation of a god or gods has occurred, never mind being able to formulate a hypothesis to test.

Therefore, I am extremely comfortable and certain saying no god or gods have been shown to exist, and I do not believe that any such entities do.
Well stated

Old 07-02-2020, 04:21 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I use to be sure that dinosaurs did not exist, however we now know that birds are a type of dinosaur. I would not rule out that a God could exist however I live my life as if one does not exist. The Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot and UFO are in the same category.

I do understand if you are 100%, the same as so many theists are 100% sure that he not only exists but helps their favourite team win the Super Bowl.
if the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot and UFO's existed would you change your worldview due to their existence?

Old 07-02-2020, 04:29 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
if the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot and UFO's existed would you change your worldview due to their existence?
Of course not. My worldview has nothing to do with those things. If I Baca me convinced that there was a God I am not sure my worldview would change because of that either.

And the point to your question is ?

Old 07-02-2020, 04:40 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Is there any reason to think that knowing of the existence of Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot or UFO's might have some impact on my eternity?

Old 07-02-2020, 05:01 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

I've seen pictures of all three.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:27 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've seen pictures of all three.
I think I got a message directly from god today on the way home from running an errand. I've driven right past the Lord Of Life church every day and never really paid attention to their logo: THE LOL Church. I think that says it all.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:33 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think I got a message directly from god today on the way home from running an errand. I've driven right past the Lord Of Life church every day and never really paid attention to their logo: THE LOL Church. I think that says it all.

Maybe they 'laugh out loud' because they know they're going to heaven when they die? It's easier to laugh knowing that, I would imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality