Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:43 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Bible 'promises' from the book of Matthew.

I am doing a project to find all Bible promises that I can. Some say there are hundreds of them, others say there are thousands of promises in the Bible.

I have reviewed the site TOS. I am not asking 'only' Christians because this is not a Christian-only discussion.

I have found a few websites that mention Bible promises, but they list only a few dozen.

So I have begun working through the books of the Bible to find them. For now just focusing on the book of Matthew.

What promises can you find?

Please list them in this thread.

Thank you,
may God bless and keep you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 09:43 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Do you also want an explanation of how they fail?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Do you also want an explanation of how they fail?
'Fail' in what context?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:40 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Most posts and threads here are to get answers and information for. What's the purpose of posting "promises" from a biblical book? Are you advertising and promoting it?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:44 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
All of them. From the end coming when the gospel is preached throughout the world (well, we are rapidly running out of Amazonian tribes to preach to) to being granted whatever you ask in prayer (which the believer know so very well doesn't happen that they have to invent excuses: "..maybe later..have patience, and if it still doesn't happen, then God doesn't think you should have it.") by way of the failed prophecy of three days in the bowels of the earth, like Jonah when it is so demonstrably less than 2 days, even after all the irrelevant apologetics nonsense about hours of reckoning, Passovers and what a Sabbath was, and you can only make 'The third day' work if you count the last half -hour of Friday as a 'First day'.

There may be others, but those particular to Matthew spring to mind. That's not even to deal with the Mis-read prophecies, like the 2 donkeys and the virgin birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Most posts and threads here are to get answers and information for. What's the purpose of posting "promises" from a biblical book? Are you advertising and promoting it?
I am sure that is what this is. It's all part of the "Prophecies prove Jesus" apologetic. But, of you actually understand your Bible as distinct from just repeating the claims you get from Pulpit and apologetics sites, the prophecies fail so badly they become evidence to debunk the Bible.

You find that Matthew couldn't read Hebrew.

You find that Mark didn't know where anything was in Judea and Galilee.

You find that Luke rewrites the Bible to make it tell a different story from the others.

You find that pretty much debunks everything the synoptics say, but the basic story of a failed messiah. Like they say - if you want to deconvert someone, get them to read the Bible.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-04-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-04-2017, 01:27 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Yeah I've kind of been sitting out these threads because I don't know how to participate in them, other than as a party-pooper. Don't want to rain on @Submariner's parade, but Bible promises only caused cognitive dissonance for me. In brief, because even when they were specific enough to be able to tell when they were fulfilled or not (e.g., god will bless the righteous and confounds the wicked), reality never matched up and instead insisted on looking like random happenstance.

All part of the failed epistemology of religious faith, because it fails to accurately predict outcomes, or plausibly explain them.

Life was too short to collect promises only to see them broken; I didn't want to become an angry, bitter, or just simply hurt believer, so I opted out of the whole program. Much better that way.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:09 AM

Matthew

1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for their's is the kingdom of heaven.

5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

5:7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

5:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for their's is the kingdom of heaven.

5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

5:19 but whosoever shall do and teach the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 For after all these things do the Gentiles seek: for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

10:19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.
:20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man's foes [shall be] they of his own household.
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

12:21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
:43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

20:26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
:27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

26:61 ... I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Most posts and threads here are to get answers and information for. What's the purpose of posting "promises" from a biblical book?
I am doing a project to find all Bible promises that I can. Some say there are hundreds of them, others say there are thousands of promises in the Bible.

Quote:
... Are you advertising and promoting it?
I am doing neither.

I have been working on a project [as explained previously] I thought that perhaps others might like to play along.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:28 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
There's no way to support or represent a being (Jesus, God, etc.) when you're fixated on a book. Jesus never said to rely on written documents. He taught as a living example. Get beyond a material focus; things that you can hold, but can rot and deteriorate.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
There's no way to support or represent a being (Jesus, God, etc.) when you're fixated on a book. Jesus never said to rely on written documents. He taught as a living example. Get beyond a material focus; things that you can hold, but can rot and deteriorate.
Jesus' personal ministry on earth was a long time ago, long before I was born. Jesus did not teach my anything as I was not around when he was.

And yet it remains that through this 'book' that we can come to know Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality