Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well if you don't define it, you can't substantiate it. You are, of course, welcome to believe it ... just not to claim it's normative or binding for anyone but yourself.

There are certainly subjective effects on many of us, some of the time, that are subtle, hard to define or pin down, and which we might assign to the realm of intuition or spirit for convenience. I personally don't think it's therefore incumbent upon us to assume or demand a specific explanation be accepted for them, unless and until there's enough data to substantiate the correctness of the explanation.

And at this time I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that such things are explicable as the "holy spirit"; that seems terribly premature to me. In fact it seems terribly premature to suggest that such things are spiritual or supernatural -- the former concept doesn't clarify anything and the latter is utterly useless anyway.

And as a final point, no, "we" (with its implied meaning of "everyone") do not recognize these effects that you mention. The only thing I recognize is that human yearning and desire tend to have certain features in common, and human mentation tends to have certain -- glitches that render it less than reliable based on hunches.
this is an opinion. the surrounding system does effect you. Thats a fact. We can properly define that system,too, based on something else then you selling atheism. You deciding what is "evidence" is based on not knowing. so theists don't know and you don't know.

two sects of people with a god claims fighting with belief statements instead of knowledge claims. Kinda reminds me of two people arguing over spiderman and batman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 01:36 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Human spirit is just dash of talent for whatever humans can do that shows us above the apes, cows, etc. It's something that is possible in every person. On the other hand, the holy spirit is a spirit from God that connects everyone with him and even the universe. Also, it must be asked for to receive. Big difference.

The two are at vastly different levels of significance. The human spirit is to McDonalds what the holy spirit is to a 5-star restaurant.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Human spirit is just dash of talent for whatever humans can do that shows us above the apes, cows, etc. It's something that is possible in every person. On the other hand, the holy spirit is a spirit from God that connects everyone with him and even the universe. Also, it must be asked for to receive. Big difference.

The two are at vastly different levels of significance. The human spirit is to McDonalds what the holy spirit is to a 5-star restaurant.
How do we compare us to something that isn't even there?
its like calculating a percent change from zero.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
"Holy Spirit" is a religious term and I don't relate to it.

But I believe "spirit" exists in all life forms and I think of it as a life force, or that which animates.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:46 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
two sects of people with a god claims fighting with belief statements instead of knowledge claims. Kinda reminds me of two people arguing over spiderman and batman.
That is totally ridiculous: everyone knows Spiderman is WAY cooler than Batman. I mean come ON!

Old 09-05-2017, 05:01 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
What's the difference between the holy spirit and human spirit? What does the holy spirit mean to you? Is everyone affected by the Holy Spirit?
I actually have always looked as things as simplified as Possible and not complicate with scriptures since Old Testament/New Testament plus did actual tried to learn about other Religions in order to grasp how it works for those who have faith in a "Higher Being"!

Holy Spirit is what the scriptures teach and they profess what their "GOD" says or wants... BUT the Human Spirit is and will provide what ever level that particular human has evolved to in their growth and development.

Many love to attach the Human Body to it.. But Human bodies are made of flesh/blood and basically only that.. Ashes to Ashes/Dust to Dust is one thing I have heard throughout my life ( an I'm old now). BUT the individual human spirit by end of their life cycle leaves behind the "Essence of just who they were! Good/Kind/Giving/Forgiving/accepting etc etc. The legacy of any "Human being" is only the demonstrations of that person by their actions and words.

IF they spent their life demeaning others.. Using others and never acknowledged anything that proved them wrong and learned from Kind of tells you many things about THAT HUMAN SPIRIT!

The magic of it all is that the Spirit of everybody remains ( Good guys and Evil Sorts) even after one's body dies! I know many want to disbelieve any such thing exists.. but however.. IF one refuses to be open to it.. They will deny existence of anything without PROOF. Human's are so visual/tactile and also prejudiced by nay sayers.. But those who do sense/feel/see wisdoms of experience and Positive influence often evolve and gain deeper understanding of "their path of Life" .

It's simple really.. the 90% water base human body is only a vesicle that one can use to fulfill some dream or make a difference and feel satisfied with whatever they did!! Not because they fulfilled those dreaded Sins~
https://kcdn.whatchristianswanttokno...eadly-Sins.jpg

IF anybody truly want's to look at one's Human Spirit and look at the track record of them in the light of those 7 Deadly sins.. One could actually make a pretty accurate enlightened decision on just how well their spirit has evolved!

Holy and Human spirit ~~ is actually what everyday human's interact with.. Whether on not their human spirit is holy gets applied when their earthly body goes back to dust... Human legacy will judged eventually by something way beyond human level. Just do your best and always consider the consequences of any decision you make!!

Guess, I am getting Old and doing a lot of reflection now.. No Human is perfect and none should every expect to be.. BUT to not learn from mistakes dooms you to repeat them !! False sense of success stinks when it's at the expense of others!! Personal success does always NOT mean success of the "Spirit" ( Essence of life) !

Old 09-05-2017, 05:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,041,351 times
The human spirit is the measure of faith given to every man to receive Him (the Holy Spirit). Peace

Old 09-05-2017, 06:36 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,295 times
Blest they who wear the vital spirit out,Even thus,degrading not the holy fire.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:14 PM

678 posts, read 429,239 times
Thanks all for the feedback - some good stuff. Anyone care to comment on:

"“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Excellent question. I'd have to say that spirit is spirit, but there are different or individual spirits. The Holy Spirit is more a communications aspect of God, and while I would not say that everyone is affected by the attempted communication of the Holy Spirit there is always an attempt at communication even if it is just one way.
Funny you were the first to respond because you were the only member I thought of when I posted the question. I'm guessing that has more to do with coincidence and knowing this is up your alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No difference at all. Invisible beings and realms are invented by humans. They are human projections and, oddly, invariably and inherently any given deity always agrees with its followers. It's just easier and more seemingly humble to attribute a judgment to "god" than to oneself. It provides cover. "Don't shoot the messenger", is basically what it's saying -- it is not my will, but god's. But oh yes, it's in fact your will.
Instead of using human spirit for some atheists, maybe psyche, vibe, personality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
"Holy Spirit" is a religious term and I don't relate to it.

But I believe "spirit" exists in all life forms and I think of it as a life force, or that which animates.
Holy to me often seems to be used to compare, divide and show superiority. Maybe not so much today but at least in ancient history.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:26 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,295 times
I love the word holy to me it denotes something very sacred,very pure and divine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality