Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:28 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Just curious about afterlife beliefs and do you think yours reflect how you would like to see the world (including punishing some by sending them to hell)?

To me, it seems like afterlife beliefs are based on a combination of love, fear and hate
I have reason to suppose that the world existed and that many events were occurring prior to my birth. The second WW, the first WW, the civil war, etc. In 1631 a Bible was printed that listed among the Ten Commandments:

"Thou shalt commit adultery."

That was a good one.

I didn't yet exist, so it wasn't my fault.

After I die I will no longer exist. I do fully expect the world to continue right along however. John Wayne died in 1979, and the world continued right along. My father died in 2011, and the world continued right along. Just as, I predict, the world will eventually get along without me after I no longer exist in exactly the way it got along without me before I existed. My view on the afterlife is taken from simple observation, rather than make believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:45 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
I personally don't have strong afterlife beliefs.

I'd certainly like there to be something and that something would be a place where I could expand on all knowledge and be completely free, and that's certainly a reflection on how I would like the world to be. But I don't necessarily believe that's what will happen.

I frankly don't spend much time dwelling on it. As I said, I want one, but if there isn't one, there's no much I can do about that. By the time I'm even aware that there won't be an afterlife, it will be too late; dissapointment isn't an option.

I know many can't fathom the possibility that life just ends, and I certainly understand that, so forgive me when I point out that life, so far as I can tell, just begins. If there's no afterlife, I'm guessing what its like to die is very much what it's like to simply not have been born yet.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 AM

678 posts, read 429,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post

After I die I will no longer exist. I do fully expect the world to continue right along however. John Wayne died in 1979, and the world continued right along. My father died in 2011, and the world continued right along. Just as, I predict, the world will eventually get along without me after I no longer exist in exactly the way it got along without me before I existed. My view on the afterlife is taken from simple observation, rather than make believe.
Would you say that John Wayne affected people and your father affected people so their essence carries on?

Old 09-01-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Would you say that John Wayne affected people and your father affected people so their essence carries on?
I suppose that it is fair to say that John Wayne affected more people than my father did. It's also fair to say that Hitler affected more people than John Wayne did. As did Gandhi. I have no reason to suppose that any such essence exists TOO cause such an essence to carry on after death. When people die their existence is at an end. Any other conclusion is pure make belive and wishful thinking. People only carry on in the memory of those that remain alive. And on video, for those who have become famous. Or infamous.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:07 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
My view on the afterlife is taken from simple observation, rather than make believe.
Emphasis on the "simple." Ockham's razor is often touted by atheists despite its many failures. Unfortunately, our reality is far more complex and deceptive to our senses and instruments making simple observation unreliable when considering such speculations about the unknown. The very phenomenon you use to think and speculate is itself an unknown aspect of our reality so pretending to know its ultimate fate seems fraught with uncertainty.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:09 PM

678 posts, read 429,360 times
Quote:
I suppose that it is fair to say that John Wayne affected more people than my father did. It's also fair to say that Hitler affected more people than John Wayne did. As did Gandhi. I have no reason to suppose that any such essence exists TOO cause such an essence to carry on after death. When people die their existence is at an end. Any other conclusion is pure make belive and wishful thinking. People only carry on in the memory of those that remain alive. And on video, for those who have become famous. Or infamous.
Ok fair enough. Maybe essence is too strong of a word for some. Maybe impact (positive, negative or neutral). Or maybe just who the heck cares, that's one ego thinking they're bigger than they are

Old 09-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Emphasis on the "simple." Ockham's razor is often touted by atheists despite its many failures. Unfortunately, our reality is far more complex and deceptive to our senses and instruments making simple observation unreliable when considering such speculations about the unknown. The very phenomenon you use to think and speculate is itself an unknown aspect of our reality so pretending to know its ultimate fate seems fraught with uncertainty.
How the human brain works is not yet well known, this is true. That is no excuse for making up answers and declaring them to be true. Or giving ourselves extra sensory mental powers because we find the notion appealing. That is make believe I am afraid. Such a notion serves to make us special all out of proportion to our rather ordinary biological origins. We are superior to every other species of animal on the planet though our ability to annihilate them all. That is just about as far as our superiority goes. Expecting more is wishful thinking.

One day a virus will come along and wipe out 99% percent of us. And we won't be so superior.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:03 PM

661 posts, read 521,503 times
Yes, I feel like my "own" afterlife beliefs are something I really want to see the world be like. But it's really frustrating to me when Christians try to spoil my vision that I want so much. One of the things I really want is to have a beautiful romantic partner, but what Christians and the church always teach about how there is no relationships or no reproduction/sex in Heaven is extremely frustrating and I have a hard time seeing how their not being cruel about it. As a young male, I'm angry enough on Earth that I don't have more luck with women or relationships. I'm tired of the brainwashing. Why can't they just accept the beliefs about Heaven of sensitive people?

Other than that above, I want to continue my growth in knowledge and connections.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
pretending to know its ultimate fate seems fraught with uncertainty.
Exactly. It is observed that all living things die. Anything else is speculation.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Anything else is speculation.
Aw, I wish you guys had been visited by some loved ones
as I have, to know that they live on and so will we.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality