Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:07 PM

661 posts, read 521,158 times

Advertisements

I want to say that I find it hard to want to believe in religion or the world outside the physical universe anymore. Seeing the current society conditions in the world (especially in the last 10 years), and because of some personal struggles too, I have a lot of doubt that God is good.

My entire life I grew up religious thinking that everything that involves the material flesh is bad, and everything that is non-material is only good. The afterlife I grew up believing in is only seen by a majority of the Christian world as a spirit place. I would rather not have any conscience thought at all after death. It may sound dark, but it makes me feel less dread about going away from this earth. It even makes me feel more liberated.

I wasn't able to stand the other things I was told about God (only God can decide what's good for us and we must focus only on his word, this bad thing happened for a good reason, etc.)

I don't even feel at a point where I want to salvage what I have left of my trust and love for him. I just wish the devout Christians, especially those seeking power control in this country, would take their buzzkill ideologies and opinions somewhere it would more suit them.

The perfect description for how I'm feeling right now about God and the system he allowed: dread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 01:22 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I want to say that I find it hard to want to believe in religion or the world outside the physical universe anymore. Seeing the current society conditions in the world (especially in the last 10 years), and because of some personal struggles too, I have a lot of doubt that God is good.

My entire life I grew up religious thinking that everything that involves the material flesh is bad, and everything that is non-material is only good. The afterlife I grew up believing in is only seen by a majority of the Christian world as a spirit place. I would rather not have any conscience thought at all after death. It may sound dark, but it makes me feel less dread about going away from this earth. It even makes me feel more liberated.

I wasn't able to stand the other things I was told about God (only God can decide what's good for us and we must focus only on his word, this bad thing happened for a good reason, etc.)

I don't even feel at a point where I want to salvage what I have left of my trust and love for him. I just wish the devout Christians, especially those seeking power control in this country, would take their buzzkill ideologies and opinions somewhere it would more suit them.

The perfect description for how I'm feeling right now about God and the system he allowed: dread.
Well, you didn't ask for opinions, but I'm giving mine free of charge:

Stop thinking about what other people say about God. As a matter of fact, stop thinking about God at all. Start thinking about, and doing, things that give you, and others, joy. Practice that, until it becomes second nature.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:27 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
I second that, God is what it is, not what people tell you it is.

For me, people are misrepresenting the fact we are in a biosphere of life. Thats stance fits observations and allows for the variations in people's beliefs. Easily.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:31 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:

So what it comes down to is that you don't like the idea of God, and you resent those that believe in him and want to talk about him? You sound a bit like a buzzkill.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:37 PM

I don't mind having most opinions at all.

I also heard things to the effect of how God is coming to punish America and the rest of the world for turning their backs on him. I do believe that a lot of Christian fundamentalists are delusional and crazy and I don't want them to have to aspire political power or influence. But that doesn't necessarily take from my other point saying, well, what if they are right? After all, the only reason why religion sounds so primitive and fundamentalist is because the laws and doctrine were set and fulfilled by man or God himself millennia ago, usually not because the "crazy religious extremists" somehow recently hijacked it.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:49 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
I don't mind having most opinions at all.

I also heard things to the effect of how God is coming to punish America and the rest of the world for turning their backs on him. I do believe that a lot of Christian fundamentalists are delusional and crazy and I don't want them to have to aspire political power or influence. But that doesn't necessarily take from my other point saying, well, what if they are right? After all, the only reason why religion sounds so primitive and fundamentalist is because the laws and doctrine were set and fulfilled by man or God himself millennia ago, usually not because the "crazy religious extremists" somehow recently hijacked it.
You have the right to keep ruminating on the possibility of the crazy stuff other people say about God being true. Does thinking about it make it better? Nope, all it does is make you feel dread. You're no good to yourself or anyone else when you're walking around feeling like that. If you like feeling like that, then keep thinking about it. If you don't, choose something else to focus your attention on.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:01 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
On the very last day those lost to God will go through a second death so hopefully this second death will have no afterlife for the spirit lost of God ... See only the devil and his hoards will suffer in the lake of fire , were man spirit will perish in a second death .... With man the body and the soul will die in the first death for people lost to God , So then the spirit of man lost to God will die in the second death and be no more...........

Old 08-25-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So what it comes down to is that you don't like the idea of God, and you resent those that believe in him and want to talk about him? You sound a bit like a buzzkill.
I'm so sorry I offended you with my OP, your disappointment sort of makes me feel offended myself. That was not a sarcastic statement.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:43 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry I offended you with my OP, your disappointment sort of makes me feel offended myself. That was not a sarcastic statement.
I didn't say I was offended. I'm just trying to understand. I appreciate your brutal honesty. Most people aren't that honest.

I just found it interesting that you consider it all a downer, but you seem to be trying to be a downer to religious people. Don't believe? Ok. I can't make you believe--no one can.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:52 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Give up religion and man's tampering and tinkering, and turn spirituality to God. You don't need anyone or any church to tell you want to think or feel. Keep your heart, mind, and soul pure, and open a direct link to God. Get away from the crowds and the noise, and go to the source of the universe. He's there waiting, with open arms. It's not about chains, judgement, or perfection; it's about freedom, love, and rescue.

Those that seek power in this world are more similar to people that opposed Jesus. A lot of so-called "Christians" these days are more similar to the Pharisees and Sadducees. Even some of the "zealots" who hung around Jesus were motivated and tempted by power. They wanted Jesus to essentially form an army against the ruling classes. Jesus had to point out that he was opposed to them and their ways.

The power-hungry of this world can call themselves "Christians", but Jesus does not recognize them. You've got to make this distinction and how see them as Jesus sees them; not how they want you to see them. I could call myself Abraham Lincoln, but that doesn't mean anything. We are known by our ways. Actions speak louder than words.

With religion, man is in the driver's seat, and all the misery and foolishness of man carries over to poison whatever the focus is on. Jesus didn't come to the earth to bring religion. He brought a one-on-one relationship with the maker of the universe. It something's making you depressed or full of dread, it must be from man.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-25-2017 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality