Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:47 PM

10,070 posts, read 4,990,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Timothy was not speaking about religion. He was addressing the reason we have laws. They are for people who cannot behave themselves.
Yes, the reason we have laws as according to 1st Timothy 1:8-10.
False clergy have set themselves up as a law to themselves.
They are the composite clerical man of lawlessness of 2nd Thess. 2:2-12.
They seat themselves in the ' temple ' (houses of worship) as if they are God when in reality they are anti-God.
They corrupted ' temple law ' back then, and today they corrupt what Scripture teaches with what is Not found in Scripture but just being taught as being Scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:48 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,135,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I don't mind having most opinions at all.

I also heard things to the effect of how God is coming to punish America and the rest of the world for turning their backs on him. I do believe that a lot of Christian fundamentalists are delusional and crazy and I don't want them to have to aspire political power or influence. But that doesn't necessarily take from my other point saying, well, what if they are right? After all, the only reason why religion sounds so primitive and fundamentalist is because the laws and doctrine were set and fulfilled by man or God himself millennia ago, usually not because the "crazy religious extremists" somehow recently hijacked it.
I admire that you're open to others' opinions. I hope you maintain that openness.

I imagine you could go different directions from here.
I'd urge you to consider really thinking your way through rather than adopting any Atheist or Theist belief package.

Consider Fowler's stages of faith (Chart of James Fowler's Stages of Faith | psychologycharts.com). You seem to be in stage 4 - it's good, but don't stop - keep going! Many get stuck here for the rest of their lives and it's not living up to your potential, IMO.

As to your concerns about religion. It is very normal and common to feel a sense of dread, however, a lot depends on your focus. I used to feel a lot of dread - so much shame, fear etc. from certain dysfunctional aspects of religion I was raised with. Then I had a faith crisis (as you seem to be having) and began questioning everything, including God. I was very angry at first because I felt like I had been lied to and been fooled - so much of what I thought was so real were illusions. But you know what? EVERYTHING is illusion! When we are little, our parents provide somewhat of an illusion - to protect us from the world as we grow out of our naïvety. At first we thought our parent were like gods who could do no wrong - then as necessary, we realized they do make mistakes. Then we looked for outside parental figures - maybe in religions or gurus - and again we become disillusioned. It's important through all of this disillusionment to keep in mind the power of belief. If you ignore it or pretend (as many Atheists do) that nobody has faith/belief, it will make life feel skeptically paralyzed and horrible. But if you learn to master it, you will be amazed and see many possibilities!

I hope the best for you. Try to find the middle way between extreme insanities, the calm amidst the storms.
From each ideology - agnosticism, religion, philosophy - take the best, leave the rest.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:50 PM

678 posts, read 430,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I have found the many self-help teachers and books always seem to be updated or changed in some way.
Whereas, Bible principles, Bible standards, remain the same and work the same.
For example: Who was ever fined or arrested for keeping the Golden Rule.
It's a constantly changing world with technology, science, humans (including the brain) evolving. So I would expect self-help teachers and psychologists to follow a similar path.

The Golden Rule sounds great to me and I try to live by it myself. But instead of just looking at parts one very large scripture (with a lot of dread in it), I think the OP will be best off by exploring numerous sources and seeing which helps the most.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:41 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,845,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So what it comes down to is that you don't like the idea of God, and you resent those that believe in him and want to talk about him? You sound a bit like a buzzkill.
I actually think what the OP is saying here is that he doesn't want others' ideas of God to be pushed down his or anybody else's throats. I know I don't.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:58 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,100,060 times
In my opinion

This is an on going battle between truth and lies.
And in the eventual end, the truth will win.

What is the truth?
We all have to use our own intelligence to do our own research to find our truth - and we shall stick to it.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:38 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,135,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
In my opinion

This is an on going battle between truth and lies.
And in the eventual end, the truth will win.

What is the truth?
We all have to use our own intelligence to do our own research to find our truth - and we shall stick to it.
I really like that, except the sticking part.
If you cling to some idea that you consider truth as if you've arrived - then in a way, that damns you (hold you back) from learning more.

Paul Tillech defined god in practical terms as "one's ultimate concern" - that which you worship in practice - what you prioritize in your every-day lives. So, IE: One could say they worship God, but in practice, they love cars - they invest most of their thoughts, feelings, money and time in cars - then really that is their ultimate concern. Tillech explained that the challenge is to figure out which of all ultimate concerns had the least idolatry. And in my opinion, that is how I define love - as being ever-changing and adapting to circumstances. I don't love my child now the same I did when they were first born because they require different things. If I clung to the old way of loving, it would limit my child's growth and not really be loving (striving for what's really best).

This is a bit of a stretch for some, but consider that how I see God/Truth/highest Love is not really the objective actuality of God/Truth/Love - but rather the best I can imagine at this current moment. It's a bit of mental gymnastics to realize - but still true - that all I think is subjectively limited - not the all-knowing truth. And yet, I can't give up just because I know I don't know much. I still need to have faith in something a little better - and faith in my ability to increase faith little by little - and little by little, I will consider more and better possibilities to make better decisions and live better.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:37 PM

11,077 posts, read 6,019,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So what it comes down to is that you don't like the idea of God, and you resent those that believe in him and want to talk about him? You sound a bit like a buzzkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
On the very last day those lost to God will go through a second death so hopefully this second death will have no afterlife for the spirit lost of God ... See only the devil and his hoards will suffer in the lake of fire , were man spirit will perish in a second death .... With man the body and the soul will die in the first death for people lost to God , So then the spirit of man lost to God will die in the second death and be no more...........
Wow!
I can see where ghostee is coming from.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:42 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,613,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
God has nothing to do with religion.

Look around you. Take in the breathtaking beauty of the Earth and sky. Listen to the laughter of children. God is there. Set aside the teachings of men.
I didn't see it at the children's cancer ward.

Any idea when it's going to show up and do something other than giving children a real cool and easy way to die?

Old 08-27-2017, 05:12 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,372,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I want to say that I find it hard to want to believe in religion or the world outside the physical universe anymore. Seeing the current society conditions in the world (especially in the last 10 years), and because of some personal struggles too, I have a lot of doubt that God is good.

My entire life I grew up religious thinking that everything that involves the material flesh is bad, and everything that is non-material is only good. The afterlife I grew up believing in is only seen by a majority of the Christian world as a spirit place. I would rather not have any conscience thought at all after death. It may sound dark, but it makes me feel less dread about going away from this earth. It even makes me feel more liberated.

I wasn't able to stand the other things I was told about God (only God can decide what's good for us and we must focus only on his word, this bad thing happened for a good reason, etc.)

I don't even feel at a point where I want to salvage what I have left of my trust and love for him. I just wish the devout Christians, especially those seeking power control in this country, would take their buzzkill ideologies and opinions somewhere it would more suit them.

The perfect description for how I'm feeling right now about God and the system he allowed: dread.
Here's a quick bit of advice. If you like where you are, stay. If you don't, find a different place. This goes for schools, temples, and homes. Different ones emphasize different things. Resolve to just walk out. If anyone tries to stop you, tell them "I know you are wrong about who God is. I must keep searchoing." Find a different church/temple with different values.

For the record, after studying world reigions, the material body is neither good nor evil but a holding place for the spirit. Life on this world is to teach you through human experience. You need not fear or dread anything in this world, because it is simply a simulation. And you can decide what God is, and whether God knows what is best or noyt. If so, then by all means let God govern you. But God is fine with you governing yourself.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,267,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Well, you didn't ask for opinions, but I'm giving mine free of charge:

Stop thinking about what other people say about God. As a matter of fact, stop thinking about God at all. Start thinking about, and doing, things that give you, and others, joy. Practice that, until it becomes second nature.
MARVELOUS!!

Attached Thumbnails
Religion is making me feel dread-not_surrender.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality