Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any excuse or reason for not hearing "The Word"?
Yes, it could easily happen and is excusable 5 20.83%
Yes, but only in very rare and exceptional circumstances 1 4.17%
No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged 5 20.83%
The Word is not how we will be judged anyway/ or we cease to exist 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 04:05 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,702,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
My parents were agnostic Jews. What do you think? Peace
I don't know. I had many friends with whom I went to church, who had parents of many different faiths and non-faiths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 04:15 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So it's "The Spirit"? That's it? You expect me to believe the Spirit has been talking to you and that's how you condemn all us "fundies" because we choose to believe what God said already to what you say now?
I don't expect you to believe the Spirit confirms what I learn and I don't condemn fundies even though you do NOT believe what your "authority" tells you; I condemn the ideas you express including the authority of the book you don't even believe.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:16 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Again, it's not an opinion if it happens. And when it does, there is NO QUESTION in your mind that it is NOT the same spirit as a suicide bomber of Allah. Just sayin'....Peace
Well, that's a start, so tell us by what characteristics do you know that it IS the Spirit Jesus promised.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:29 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,060,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, that's a start, so tell us by what characteristics do you know that it IS the Spirit Jesus promised.

How do you know your father isn't your mother? Peace

Old 08-15-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I don't expect you to believe the Spirit confirms what I learn and I don't condemn fundies even though you do NOT believe what your "authority" tells you; I condemn the ideas you express including the authority of the book you don't even believe.

You don't condemn fundies? Since when, did I miss something??? Peace

Old 08-15-2017, 04:30 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
I'll address this before going back to address OP. When we say that Jesus is the Word, that means that He embodies and demonstrates the Way He taught, which IS the Word or plan of God. Yes, other references to "the word" are to that purpose or plan that Jesus embodied. To try to make the books in toto into the Word is absolutely not indicated in the Bible.
Well, whether from God or not, if it is consistent with the nature of the Spirit as taught by Jesus we know that it is at least close.

Quote:
He is God, so yes--he certainly would be described by his Word.
How would you know? You really have never answered that question. How would you know if that feeling you get is from Jesus, or a bad taco? Why would you put feelings or urges that can be misunderstood above that which God (Jesus) has already said? Why would you proclaim to be able to judge that?
You can not even be trying to understand. The Spirit is described in detail in 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5, and the Sermon on the Mount. There is no resemblance to any feelings from a bad taco. Anything that is NOT compatible with those descriptions can NOT be from God or Jesus, period.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I don't know. I had many friends with whom I went to church, who had parents of many different faiths and non-faiths.

So did I and ALL of them knew it was a waste of time to talk to me about religion as I refused to do it. Peace

Old 08-15-2017, 04:48 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,063,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

You can not even be trying to understand. The Spirit is described in detail in 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5, and the Sermon on the Mount. There is no resemblance to any feelings from a bad taco. Anything that is NOT compatible with those descriptions can NOT be from God or Jesus, period.
I am trying to understand. I see you guys wax on about "The SPirit" and "Agape Love" and all that but honestly.....that's really very subjective. We just don't see the apostles using the language you use in the NT, or for that matter, the early church fathers in the writings thereafter.

Nevermind the very real question you have yet to answer of "Who is right when we disagree?" The best you have is what you THINK the Spirit is telling you, and you always think YOU properly understand him while the rest of us are wrong. Instead of Sola Fide you have Sola Feelings.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
So it's "The Spirit"? That's it? You expect me to believe the Spirit has been talking to you and that's how you condemn all us "fundies" because we choose to believe what God said already to what you say now?
For one thing, they're ignoring the fact that here:

Acts 6:5 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch:

Stephen was said to be a man full of faith and of the HG...and here ....

Acts 7:38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

HIS testimony was that the Torah of Moses was LIVING ORACLES from G-d, aka Spirit breathed scripture. Which, is interesting since their spirit doesn't seem to line up with Stephen's on the topic. Which means, if you ignore testimony after testimony in the Word, eventually you can form your own doctrine. Peace

Old 08-15-2017, 04:57 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,063,850 times
Quote:
I think you're being dishonest. We get chided daily from you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality