Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:03 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,353,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I don't want to come across as a buzzkill I think it's great to have euphoric feelings if it's not harming others. But I think anyone could feel the same feeling, not just Christians, but any religion including atheists and terrorists (especially just before killing themselves and others).

Interestingly, I'm on the opposite end. The less I believe in God, the more alive I feel. The more I want to love and be loved by other humans. The more I want to cherish the natural world. The more I want to have deep, meaningful experiences, especially those nearing the end of life. And live a more meaningful life myself, take full advantage of each day on a mission of love.
My aunt lived in a state of euphoria. Jesus carried on a running conversation with her for the last 20 years of her life. She passed away at 90 and she was blissfully happy to the end. Still, it was not a condition that I ever envied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:16 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:
Ditto You may find this interesting too. The 12 Characteristics of a Self-Actualized Person - Maslow: The 12 Characteristics of a Self-Actualized Person | HuffPost
OUTstanding list!

Here's another: Characteristics of a Self-Actualizing Person

Old 08-25-2017, 07:26 PM

15,880 posts, read 6,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
OUTstanding list!

Here's another: Characteristics of a Self-Actualizing Person
That link is a quiz. Would a self actualized person rate themselves?

Old 08-25-2017, 07:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,415,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
My aunt lived in a state of euphoria. Jesus carried on a running conversation with her for the last 20 years of her life. She passed away at 90 and she was blissfully happy to the end. Still, it was not a condition that I ever envied.
Fascinating story...you would like the movie 'King of Hearts' Alan Bates.
I would have loved to have met your aunt! 'Blissfully happy'...
Thanks for taking the time to share this, Tired.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 PM

678 posts, read 430,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That link is a quiz. Would a self actualized person rate themselves?
I didn't but I think it's because I'm too lazy and not self-actualized

Old 08-25-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I didn't but I think it's because I'm too lazy and not self-actualized
I ran a Google on it and most of it was yadda..yadda...yadda to me. This REALLY stood out though:

There is one further need that stands at the top of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. This is...

Transpersonal Needs
This is the need for a higher truth; to make contact with the creative force that is beyond the human personality; to make sense of all the suffering and injustices of the survival struggle on earth. This need has been evident in all cultures, expressed by all religions, and is the spiritual path towards enlightenment, towards discovering the truth of All That Is.
It is only by having at least a glimmer of this spirituality that we each are part of, that we can aspire to the highest potential of being human. To be able to genuinely love and to forgive unconditionally, we need to see in all others - even our enemies - the same essential quality that we ourselves are part of. Spirituality is a transpersonal quality, it is beyond the Ego and obsession with the self. It is the maturity of intuition.

Mind Development - The Road to Self-Actualization

Old 08-25-2017, 08:34 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,005,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Remember that feeling?
And if you recall this feeling was before Maria fell 'in love' with C. Plummer.

This is what I present to every soul here...if you are not feeling this elation, you are missing
why you were born.

..with songs they have sung for a thousands years...

The thing is...you know it...you know you are missing something....because that is what you were
meant to feel...that is Home. It really is that simple.

If someone asks, What's your point?....discuss.

The thousand years is very significant, since that is what Rapture and 2nd Coming watchers are looking for, from the Book of Revelation.
This is what "End of Times", and "Last Days" is all about, and the Apocalypse.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The thousand years is very significant, since that is what Rapture and 2nd Coming watchers are looking for, from the Book of Revelation.
This is what "End of Times", and "Last Days" is all about, and the Apocalypse.
The lietral meaning of the word is "an unveiling".

An apocalypse (Ancient Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis, from ἀπό and καλύπτω, literally meaning "an uncovering") is a disclosure of knowledge or revelation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse

It doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:51 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,353,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Fascinating story...you would like the movie 'King of Hearts' Alan Bates.
I would have loved to have met your aunt! 'Blissfully happy'...
Thanks for taking the time to share this, Tired.
My aunt was medically diagnosed as mentally ill. She lived in a delusional state that was disconnected from reality. And yet she was blissfully happy. Some people might find that desirable. I never did.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:01 PM

678 posts, read 430,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I ran a Google on it and most of it was yadda..yadda...yadda to me. This REALLY stood out though:

There is one further need that stands at the top of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. This is...

Transpersonal Needs
This is the need for a higher truth; to make contact with the creative force that is beyond the human personality; to make sense of all the suffering and injustices of the survival struggle on earth. This need has been evident in all cultures, expressed by all religions, and is the spiritual path towards enlightenment, towards discovering the truth of All That Is.
It is only by having at least a glimmer of this spirituality that we each are part of, that we can aspire to the highest potential of being human. To be able to genuinely love and to forgive unconditionally, we need to see in all others - even our enemies - the same essential quality that we ourselves are part of. Spirituality is a transpersonal quality, it is beyond the Ego and obsession with the self. It is the maturity of intuition.

Mind Development - The Road to Self-Actualization
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Will be interesting to read more as my desire to learn about religion has made me want to learn more about psychology. I realize this won't be the case for the vast majority, but so far, Eckhart Tolle resonated with me quite a bit in terms of eliminating ego and increasing consciousness and Tara Brach has in terms of love and accepting death. I still have a lot to learn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality