Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,603,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What is YOUR truth?

Mine is MERCY,JUSTICE, and HUMILITY with a huge DOLLOP of LOVE...
agreed.

well, i fall short on the love part, but yes, balance is the key. We don't know enough to dismiss "non-love" looking actions as not loving. lol, that came out weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 04:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,883,507 times
Why are they segregated? Because churches are nothing more than an idealized community based on the internal values of the members. To me it's proof that Christians are a racist and sexist bunch.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:40 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Why are they segregated? Because churches are nothing more than an idealized community based on the internal values of the members. To me it's proof that Christians are a racist and sexist bunch.
So does that mean that the predominantly black church is racist?

Old 06-29-2017, 05:10 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,059,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I think the only bigot here is you.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:04 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,811,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What is YOUR truth?

Mine is MERCY,JUSTICE, and HUMILITY with a huge DOLLOP of LOVE...
All have sinned. Romans 3:23

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

Old 06-29-2017, 07:40 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,446,638 times
Just a gentle reminder to stay on topic, folks. This thread isn't about the Bible or whether or not you think the (fill in the blank) religion is correct.

When I say segregated, I should have clarified that most churches are self-segregated. On the one hand, they may reflect the neighborhood they are in, though that then begs the question as to why the church founders chose to build in a largely (fill in the blank race/ethnicity) neighborhood, if it is a newer church.

On the other hand, churches that are related to ethnicity (Greek Orthodox, AME, Korean Bible, etc.) are going to be largely populated by people who belong to, or married into, that ethnicity group. If I go to a Hindu temple, pretty much everyone there will be Indian or married to an Indian. I understand reality.

However, I believe all churches, including newer churches as they continue to grow and expand, have a responsibility to look at their membership and their welcoming-ness, and question if they are truly open to all. If you look out at the faces of your church, is what you see something that God would be proud of? Would Jesus be happy to see another mega-church opening in a predominantly white neighborhood, with an all white staff (except for maybe the custodians or nursery workers), and welcome flyers sent out to people in the "right" neighborhoods, the "right" zip code?

There was an incident a few months ago at an old Episcopal church in downtown St. Louis, one that has a largely white population, but is in an area that has become run down, mostly businesses and industrial. There was a group serving food to the homeless near the church (NOT on church property, I will emphasize), a group of mostly black folks serving food and some clothing to other mostly black folks. Well, after evening services three older, white ladies flew out of the church right at the group, yelling at them and telling them they had to leave, they were disturbing members of the church (they weren't), etc., yelling and pointing until, lo and behold, a woman from their congregation emerged from the group and asked what the problem was. Suddenly these ladies were quiet and "just worried about garbage being left on the street" when seconds before they were acting very, very un-Christ like.

I think what happened was a reflection of the continuing racial segregation and strife that is a curse in our country (especially St. Louis), but also a reflection on the unwelcoming nature that some churches have about "the other."

Old 06-29-2017, 08:29 PM

12,396 posts, read 8,176,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Just a gentle reminder to stay on topic, folks. This thread isn't about the Bible or whether or not you think the (fill in the blank) religion is correct.

When I say segregated, I should have clarified that most churches are self-segregated. On the one hand, they may reflect the neighborhood they are in, though that then begs the question as to why the church founders chose to build in a largely (fill in the blank race/ethnicity) neighborhood, if it is a newer church.

"
Is there much new construction going on?

The church built in segregated areas because just about everywhere was segregated. New churches rent space and time from established churches or build in a storefront and then it is a matter of the charisma of the pastor and congregation if they can draw in folks from the immediate area, or just the immediate family and friends of that pastor. And then there comes the chain of members. Maybe if your building is pretty enough in addition to the speaking ability of that pastor. Sometimes you have advantages, being the only church of a specific style or denomination in an area helps. But then you still probably be the 1 in 1000 church plant that grows to the point of building new rather then being invited to merge with/take over or be assigned to an already existing church.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:33 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,329,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
All have sinned. Romans 3:23

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
*sigh*

Old 06-29-2017, 08:42 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,329,099 times
If people want to segregate themselves -- which they usually do -- there's not much we can do about that. Humans will always be tribal. Unfortunately, it seems to be in our very DNA. Gee, thanks, God, for making us this way, eh? (*wink*).

You can't really force people to desegregate. The races and ethnic groups comprise of more than just the color of their skin, their accents, or their surnames. They all have their own distinct cultures and traditions which are superimposed over their Christian beliefs. As such, a white person in a mostly black church will usually find himself rather alienated no matter how welcoming the congregation happens to be.

One has to really want to integrate into the existing culture dominant in any given church -- and that takes time and a certain amount of work. Most people, I'm sure, say "why bother?" and mingle with those who share the same culture.

Churches are even stickier because, not only do you have all the various cultures and traditions to deal with, you have all the flavors of Christianity to separate and segregate us as well. Were I a Christian, for example, I wouldn't go within a mile of one of those screaming, hellfire and brimstone, poison-spewing fundamentalist churches because I would reject their moral and ethical belief system.

Until the day comes (which it won't) when we have a universal culture and a universal religion, church segregation isn't going anywhere -- and trying to change that may do more harm than good.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:09 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,446,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Is there much new construction going on?

The church built in segregated areas because just about everywhere was segregated. New churches rent space and time from established churches or build in a storefront and then it is a matter of the charisma of the pastor and congregation if they can draw in folks from the immediate area, or just the immediate family and friends of that pastor. And then there comes the chain of members. Maybe if your building is pretty enough in addition to the speaking ability of that pastor. Sometimes you have advantages, being the only church of a specific style or denomination in an area helps. But then you still probably be the 1 in 1000 church plant that grows to the point of building new rather then being invited to merge with/take over or be assigned to an already existing church.
Here in the midwest there are new churches springing up all the time. Most of them are new, wealthy, non-denominational, modern, and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality