Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 03:14 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

"Yet human and national relations are still the pits, generally speaking."

That's inevitable as long as there is an us vs them mentality which comes from our ego. I can only speak from my own life experiences, but conflict and suffering arise whenever "I" don't get my way, and peace comes from letting go and getting "I" the hell gone! My preferred way to accomplish this is by Zen meditation, but that is just one of many, many ways we can get ourselves out of the hamster wheel of self.

It's difficult if one lives in America because this is the most ego driven society on the planet. It's not about who people are, it's about who they wish to be portrayed as. Which of course means conforming to the societal norms of consumerism, wealth and all the other ego driven enterprises which they mistakenly think are themselves. I've been there, and I return there constantly w/o my meditation.

Whenever I meet people from other countries, its surprising how many of them are quite different from us. Not necessarily in terms of their values, but in the way they don't try to push their agendas onto others (including themselves).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 08:58 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,721 times
A new study of the Popol Vuh by David Reigle:

Anthropogenesis in the Popol Vuh — The Book of Dzyan

Old 01-21-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
The adept is the rare efflorescence of a generation of enquirers; and to become one, he must obey the inward impulse of his soul, irrespective of the prudential considerations of worldly science and sagacity.
From Mahatma Letters quoted in Insights From the Masters by Fiona C. Odgren

Old 01-21-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
The victor’s crown is only for him who proves himself worthy to wear it; for him who attacks Mara single-handed and conquers the demon of lust and earthly passions; and not we but he himself puts it on his brow. It was not a meaningless phrase of the Tathagata that “he who masters Self is greater than he who conquers thousands in battle”: there is no such other difficult struggle.
Insights From the Masters

Old 01-21-2024, 07:03 PM

This small book gives a theosophical survey on dying, death and after, based mainly on HPB & her Gurus teachings:

https://blavatskytrust.org.uk/pdf/when_we_die_etgb.pdf

Old 02-12-2024, 12:06 PM

James Morgan Pryse (d. 1942) recalls HP Blavatsky:

https://universaltheosophy.com/jmp/memorabilia-of-hpb/

Quote:
As a personality “the Old Lady,” as we affectionately called her, was like a mother to me; but if my reminiscences were to be confined to that personality, dealing only with happenings and doings in the physical world, they would be of little interest and would convey an utterly false impression of the real H. P. B. with whom I was acquainted. So I must tell this tale of two worlds, however strange and incredible it may seem to many, if not most, theoretical Theosophists. It is a true narrative, but those who are unable to accept it as such are at perfect liberty to regard it as a romance or a fairy-tale, and let it go at that. Whether they believe it or not is no concern of mine. But there are some Theosophists who have passed beyond the stage of theoretical study, and my story is especially for them.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:56 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Like philosophy which is part of the seven liberal art , so to is Theosophy which is of the seven liberal art which is not authored by God , but under the spirit of the world fallen angel sophia and part of the ideas of freemasonry , and people who engage can be bothered by the spirit of the world which is not of the living God through Jesus ...... See Theosophy belief substitutes God with a false vision which means it is idolatry .......... Believe if you must ....
You mean like every religion on the planet? Believe if you must, but don't take such an arrogant tone when chastising people for wanting to discuss something that you have fear about. That is whst it is, fear, because if you had no fear, you wouldn't care what someone else believes.

As for Madam Blavatsky, she was very smart and manipulative, in my opinion. She is still somewhat famous 150 years after she started her society, where people discussed and determined what they believe, something that all religious people do, cherry pick what they have been taught or have read somewhere and adding what they want to believe.

Old 02-17-2024, 12:14 PM

First published as series of pamphlets in 1895, now a book Studies in Occultism by H.P. Blavatsky:

https://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/hpb-sio/sio-hp.htm

Old 02-17-2024, 01:22 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
You mean like every religion on the planet? Believe if you must, but don't take such an arrogant tone when chastising people for wanting to discuss something that you have fear about. That is whst it is, fear, because if you had no fear, you wouldn't care what someone else believes.

As for Madam Blavatsky, she was very smart and manipulative, in my opinion. She is still somewhat famous 150 years after she started her society, where people discussed and determined what they believe, something that all religious people do, cherry pick what they have been taught or have read somewhere and adding what they want to believe.
We are all looking at the same Reality with different "eyes" so there is merit in trying to understand what others "see." They may "see" something you missed. Elevating specific human writings to inerrant and divine status is a serious mistake, IMO.

Old 02-17-2024, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Even the little that is now given is better than complete silence upon these vital truths.
The world of today, in its mad career towards the unknown - which it is too ready to confound with the unknowable, whenever the problem eludes the grasp of the physicist - is rapidly progressing on the reverse, material plane of spirituality. It has now become a vast arena - a true valley of discord and of eternal strife - a necropolis, wherein lie buried the highest and the most holy aspirations of our Spirit-Soul. That soul becomes with every new generation more paralyzed and atrophied.
Secret Doctrine 1:xxii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality