Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 02:01 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate.

There was no common sense in thinking the things they thought 2000 years ago...simply read that Holy Text and you will find it is plagued with ignorance and zero logic or common sense.

Sure there were smart people back then but most of them were imprisoned or killed for standing up to the fools that lacked common sense or logic.

You can lmao all you want. Anyone with common sense or the ability to think can easily see and understand this.

They were no more enlightened back then than the ISIS warlords of today. They were just as ignorant and barbaric.

Sounds like you need a history lesson.
I think that the Hebrew scribes who reconciled the stories of the northern tribes with those of the southern tribe were very aware that they were inventing new stories. I doubt our ability to reason has changed a measurable amount in 10,000 years. We just have more information to work with (and a lot of it is actually factual).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 02:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
I think that the Hebrew scribes who reconciled the stories of the northern tribes with those of the southern tribe were very aware that they were inventing new stories. I doubt our ability to reason has changed a measurable amount in 10,000 years. We just have more information to work with (and a lot of it is actually factual).
Our reason has changed. Most in the US would not see slavery as it was introduced in the country as a reasonable way to treat anyone.

Where's the reason in this? https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Giordano_Bruno

This is how anyone who was reasonable and intelligent was treated back in the day.

Today not many with any sense would dare to treat our Astronomers this way today.

As humans evolve so does their reasoning and intellect...but this does not speak for everyone.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:29 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Let's see, which definition of faith are you referring to

1. confidence or trust in a person or thing:
faith in another's ability.

2.belief that is not based on proof:
He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

3. a system of religious belief:
the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.

4. "I have faith that the proof will be in the pudding" said the atheist and of course Sherlock Holmes.
each one has a sect all to its own. "blind faith" like "no-nothing" because I do know enough to say otherwise.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate.

There was no common sense in thinking the things they thought 2000 years ago...simply read that Holy Text and you will find it is plagued with ignorance and zero logic or common sense.

Sure there were smart people back then but most of them were imprisoned or killed for standing up to the fools that lacked common sense or logic.

You can lmao all you want. Anyone with common sense or the ability to think can easily see and understand this.

They were no more enlightened back then than the ISIS warlords of today. They were just as ignorant and barbaric.

Sounds like you need a history lesson.
sounds like you need a human lesson, because if you think we are not as human today as we were 2000 years ago you are wrong.

yeah, the lesson about not thinking about yourself all the time and helping others is soo stupid.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
sounds like you need a human lesson, because if you think we are not as human today as we were 2000 years ago you are wrong.
You need a reading comprehension lesson. I never once said or implied that we are not as human today as we were 2000 years ago.

We were certainly just as human but back then most humans were very narrow minded, uneducated and unworldly. Hint read the Bible if you need evidence of this.

We still see these types in existence today...however they are greatly outnumbered.

Quote:
yeah, the lesson about not thinking about yourself all the time and helping others
You might need a lesson on this but for most of us this just comes naturally.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:12 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
Quote:
Our reason has changed. Most in the US would not see slavery as it was introduced in the country as a reasonable way to treat anyone.

Where's the reason in this? https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Giordano_Bruno

This is how anyone who was reasonable and intelligent was treated back in the day.

Today not many with any sense would dare to treat our Astronomers this way today.

As humans evolve so does their reasoning and intellect...but this does not speak for everyone.
I think the reason slavery is illegal in the south is because of the military victory of the US forces. We have not evolved measurably since then. Many if not most people opposed slavery in the colonies. Astronomy was not widely known or accepted. The information is now available and more widely known and accepted. I will agree that more people are interacting and honing their reasoning skills.
On topic with respect to religion, less gaps in knowledge mean that "God of the gaps" plays a diminished role in our decisions so reasoning is used more often.
Just my opinion but like hearing others. I am a reasonable man after all.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I think the reason slavery is illegal in the south is because of the military victory of the US forces. We have not evolved measurably since then. Many if not most people opposed slavery in the colonies. Astronomy was not widely known or accepted. The information is now available and more widely known and accepted. I will agree that more people are interacting and honing their reasoning skills.
On topic with respect to religion, less gaps in knowledge mean that "God of the gaps" plays a diminished role in our decisions so reasoning is used more often.
Just my opinion but like hearing others. I am a reasonable man after all.
Slavery was not just in the South. It was all over the US. Different forms of slavery still exits today in the US and all over the world.

All that you posted is proof that humans today are much more intellectually and morally evolved than they were 2000 years ago. We still have a long ways to go but we are certainly better than back in those days.

I can't imagine living life as a woman or a non-believer 2000 years ago. Thankfully we are out of those dark days of human consciousness in most places on planet earth. Sadly some places on this planet still practice this dark consciousness.

There is hardly a comparison to the way humans thought 2000 years ago with respect compared to today.

Geez just think the Nazi era only existed just 70 years ago.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
You need a reading comprehension lesson. I never once said or implied that we are not as human today as we were 2000 years ago.

We were certainly just as human but back then most humans were very narrow minded, uneducated and unworldly. Hint read the Bible if you need evidence of this.

We still see these types in existence today...however they are greatly outnumbered.

You might need a lesson on this but for most of us this just comes naturally.
yeah whatever.

you are flat out wrong when you claim that people are physically and mentally much different today than 2000 years ago. just a fact dude, so get over it. Yeah we have more info, but that's about it. you couldn't be more wrong and you don't care. I am starting to doubt you have even a degree in biology.

there are logical truths and emotional ones. You might want to find out why you hold onto claims to dehumanize people 2000 years ago.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
exactly.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
yeah whatever.

you are flat out wrong when you claim that people are physically and mentally much different today than 2000 years ago. just a fact dude, so get over it. Yeah we have more info, but that's about it. you couldn't be more wrong and you don't care. I am starting to doubt you have even a degree in biology.

there are logical truths and emotional ones. You might want to find out why you hold onto claims to dehumanize people 2000 years ago.
Now your throwing in Physically?

I will state it again...you need to be very careful when reading posts. No where did I say one thing about humans physical body in any post in this thread.

We don't have to even go back 2000 years to see how humans have evolved morally or intellectually.

No one is dehumanizing humans from 2000 years ago...only pointing out their inhumane barbaric and very limited points of view with respect to science, religion and basic human rights.

If you don't know of these events then you need to study history. Start with the Christian Crusades and work your way up to the the African Slave movement.

Are you aware that the Industrial Revolution Started only 225 years ago?

Or that the light bulb was not invented until 136 years ago? How about the first man on the moon...only 46 years ago.

They could not even conceive of doing these things 2000 years ago.

Last edited by Matadora; 06-19-2015 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality