Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 06:09 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I believe Truth, absolute Truth exists.

I have chosen my path towards it.

There are many paths that I believe will end at the same destination. Because there is ultimately only one destination.

The Truth

And Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, right?

The truth doesn't recognize sides. It doesn't recognize Christians and it doesn't recognize Buddhists and it doesn't recognize atheists.

Search the history record for any mention of Jesus in the 1st century that wasn't tampered with. You find none. That is the truth. It doesn't recognize Christians and it doesn't recognize atheists. It just happens to favor atheists' argument that Jesus never existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 06:38 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
And Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, right?

The truth doesn't recognize sides. It doesn't recognize Christians and it doesn't recognize Buddhists and it doesn't recognize atheists.

Search the history record for any mention of Jesus in the 1st century that wasn't tampered with. You find none. That is the truth. It doesn't recognize Christians and it doesn't recognize atheists. It just happens to favor atheists' argument that Jesus never existed.
We can define absolute truth anyway you want. But there is only One.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
We can define absolute truth anyway you want. But there is only One.

And how do you know this truth is THE Truth? You have evidence for it?

Old 09-18-2022, 07:56 PM

What truth are YOU referring to? A different one then mine?

Old 09-18-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
What truth are YOU referring to? A different one then mine?

Your Truth is Jesus Christ?

Old 09-19-2022, 06:31 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
It just happens to favor atheists' argument that Jesus never existed.
The argument of SOME atheists that Jesus never existed. Many atheists are historicists. Acknowledging Historic Jesus is not remotely acknowledging Bible Jesus.

I'm one of those mythicist atheists myself but I do not want to misrepresent my position as universal or even dominant.

It is really not consequential at the end of the day whether Jesus existed as a discrete historic individual or not. It's true that his historicity is a necessary, if woefully insufficient, ingredient to substantiating the literalist Jesus mythos. But atheism has no inherent problem with the historicity of Jesus, because historicity is beside the point of whether or not there is even one believable deity, be that Jesus or any other.

There's such a dearth of conclusive evidence for the historicity (or not) of Jesus, and it is no more relevant really than the historicity (or not) of Mohammed. The question is whether Jehovah / Allah / Jesus were / are divine. It is even possible, as proven by Muslims, to accept Jesus as less than divine. So there are many, many more important questions than the historicity of Jesus. And little to be gained by attacking said historicity. I'd argue even some to be lost, as it is taking up effort in a sideshow.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Your Truth is Jesus Christ?
I'm referring to absolute Truth.

Truth is Truth.

Mankind trys to bring Truth into focus. By many means.

Pick one.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The argument of SOME atheists that Jesus never existed. Many atheists are historicists. Acknowledging Historic Jesus is not remotely acknowledging Bible Jesus.

I'm one of those mythicist atheists myself but I do not want to misrepresent my position as universal or even dominant.

It is really not consequential at the end of the day whether Jesus existed as a discrete historic individual or not. It's true that his historicity is a necessary, if woefully insufficient, ingredient to substantiating the literalist Jesus mythos. But atheism has no inherent problem with the historicity of Jesus, because historicity is beside the point of whether or not there is even one believable deity, be that Jesus or any other.

There's such a dearth of conclusive evidence for the historicity (or not) of Jesus, and it is no more relevant really than the historicity (or not) of Mohammed. The question is whether Jehovah / Allah / Jesus were / are divine. It is even possible, as proven by Muslims, to accept Jesus as less than divine. So there are many, many more important questions than the historicity of Jesus. And little to be gained by attacking said historicity. I'd argue even some to be lost, as it is taking up effort in a sideshow.

I think I spoke to this a little in my response to your post #580 in the Atheists and Skeptics thread but I'll add some here: yes, it is inconsequential to the isolated atheist sitting in his living room watching Oprah. But here's the problem with your position: while atheists are quietly neutral on the position of Jesus being a fiction and couldn't care less about whether he lived or not, Christians in here and all over the world really, are attempting to spread their propaganda to every person on earth--all because of this ridiculous passage that churchmen wrote into Mark 200 years later in Chapter 16 about "Go into all the world to spread the gospel."

Churchmen knew what their intent was when they made up Mark 16:9-20. It wasn't because they discovered Jesus said that and it got left out. Pure and simple it was because they were trying to give their god-man Jesus a boost and the best way to do this was through their members spreading the story that the churchmen had concocted about Jesus--all the miracles, dying for their sins, he's the savior of the world bla bla--and how Jesus wanted them to tell everybody they came in contact with about him. Today we call this word of mouth advertising--you know, like when you go to a good lawyer or dentist and tell all your friends, "Hey, I just went to the best dentist. You should go too." Best form of advertising there is.

So while atheists are seated comfortably in their easy chairs, Christians are busily if stealthily spreading their own testimonies of their god-man and putting a ball and chain around the necks of gullible dupes by hooking them into Christianity, "Please, don't go to hell and burn eternally. Accept Jesus as your Lord and savior." I am one of those who is trying to prevent otherwise good and sensible people from falling into the snare of Christianity with its rules, and tithes and all the misery it brings on their formerly quiet comfortable lives. Someone has to do it, might as well be me.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 09-19-2022 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-19-2022, 09:42 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Interesting post, and it gets back to my disappointment that christians (at least on this forum) spend most of their time trying to prove things that are not provable...up or down. I personally believe Jesus -- a man and teacher -- existed. All the magic...I don't believe that. And, ultimately, it sort of doesn't matter, because what's left is the legacy, and the morality is (or should be) debatable.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:46 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
I'm referring to absolute Truth.

Truth is Truth.

Mankind trys to bring Truth into focus. By many means.

Pick one.
And is probably wrong more often than right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality