Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 06:09 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,598,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
There is no Spiritual Israel...There is only Israel...The Chosen ones...Those who believe on G-d join with them...Are grafted in...
the peoples of ancient Israel are all over the place now, and most of them are not
"Jews". The term "chosen people" has no meaning today, and the Old Covenant
is null because it has already been fulfilled. There is no glory in the flesh saith God.
No salvation in being of one tribe or another whatsoever. That much is totally clear
if one just reads the New Covenant scriptures.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:08 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,056,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
the peoples of ancient Israel are all over the place now, and most of them are not
"Jews". The term "chosen people" has no meaning today, and the Old Covenant
is null because it has already been fulfilled. There is no glory in the flesh saith God.
No salvation in being of one tribe or another whatsoever. That much is totally clear
if one just reads the New Covenant scriptures.
You're wrong...

Old 02-22-2015, 01:34 AM

840 posts, read 775,092 times
Default Jehovah God loves those who respect him from their hearts and work righteousness . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
The Chosen People - Torah.org

Do you believe in the idea of The Chosen People?

Does God (or can God) discriminate?

In contrast, Proverbs 6:16-19 state:

"There are six things that Jehovah hates;
Yes, seven things that he detests:
Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
A heart plotting wicked schemes, and feet that run quickly to evil,
A false witness who lies with every breath,
And anyone sowing contentions among brothers."

Jehovah God warned the nation of Israel repeatedly . . . that if they left him, he would leave them:

Leviticus 26:31

"I will give your cities to the sword and make your sanctuaries desolate,
and I will not smell the pleasing aromas of your sacrifices."

1 Kings 9:7, 8

"I will cut Israel off from the surface of the land that I have given to them, and the house that I have sanctified for my name I will cast out of my sight, and Israel will become an object of scorn and a cause for ridicule among all the peoples. And this house will become heaps of ruins. Everyone passing by it will stare in amazement and will whistle and say, ‘Why did Jehovah do that to this land and this house?’"

Jeremiah 12:7

“I have abandoned my house; I have deserted my inheritance.

I have given my dearly beloved one into the hand of her enemies."

Jeremiah 22:5

“‘But if you will not obey these words, by myself I do swear,’ declares Jehovah, ‘that this house will become a devastated place.’"

They left him anyway, becoming immersed in pagan idolatry . . . even sacrificing their children --as live burnt offerings-- to pagan gods! When they arranged to have their promised Messiah murdered publicly --as a criminal not worthy of a resurrection-- that was 'the last straw.' At Christ's death, this was shown several ways . . . there was a notable earthquake, the sun went dark, and, the heavy curtain that separated the Holy from the Most Holy sections in the temple . . . was torn in two, "not by hands." The latter occurrence signifying that the Israelite priesthood had ended, and that Christ would be the new --and permanent-- high priest.

At Luke 13:34-35a, are Jesus' words to the Pharisees regarding the chosen position that the nation of Israel had previously been given. Jesus said:

"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent to her—how often I wanted to gather your children together the way a hen gathers her brood of chicks under her wings! But you did not want it.Look! Your house is abandoned to you."

Jehovah God's chosen people are individuals who choose from the heart to be obedient to his principles & requirements . . . not any particular group of humans due to race, culture, education, or any other criteria.

In fact, Jesus told his faithful followers:

“Have no fear, little flock, for your Father has approved of giving you the Kingdom.” (Luke 12:32)

The earliest members of that group were from the nation of Israel . . . but, soon the group was including many people of the nations, as well . . . because Peter was told in a dream to:

“Stop calling defiled the things God has cleansed.” (Acts 10:15b)

Peter opened his mouth and said: “For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial,
but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.
(Acts 10:34-35)

The 'fear of God' mentioned in the Bible is not fear of punishment, or pain:

"The fear of God is healthful; it is an awe and a profound reverence for the Creator and a wholesome dread of displeasing him. This fear of incurring his displeasure is a result of appreciation of his loving-kindness and goodness together with the realization that he is the Supreme Judge and the Almighty, who has the power to inflict punishment or death upon those who disobey him."
("Insight on the Scriptures")

Old 02-22-2015, 05:32 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,867,390 times
It amazes me how the Jewish idea of "chosenness" and everyone else's idea of "chosenness" are so different.

Yes, I believe in the Jews being a "Chosen People".
No, I don't think it means what is typically presented outside of Judaism.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
In contrast, Proverbs 6:16-19 state:

"There are six things that Jehovah hates;
Yes, seven things that he detests:
Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
A heart plotting wicked schemes, and feet that run quickly to evil,
A false witness who lies with every breath,
And anyone sowing contentions among brothers."

Jehovah God warned the nation of Israel repeatedly . . . that if they left him, he would leave them:

Leviticus 26:31

"I will give your cities to the sword and make your sanctuaries desolate,
and I will not smell the pleasing aromas of your sacrifices."

1 Kings 9:7, 8

"I will cut Israel off from the surface of the land that I have given to them, and the house that I have sanctified for my name I will cast out of my sight, and Israel will become an object of scorn and a cause for ridicule among all the peoples. And this house will become heaps of ruins. Everyone passing by it will stare in amazement and will whistle and say, ‘Why did Jehovah do that to this land and this house?’"

Jeremiah 12:7

“I have abandoned my house; I have deserted my inheritance.

I have given my dearly beloved one into the hand of her enemies."

Jeremiah 22:5

“‘But if you will not obey these words, by myself I do swear,’ declares Jehovah, ‘that this house will become a devastated place.’"

They left him anyway, becoming immersed in pagan idolatry . . . even sacrificing their children --as live burnt offerings-- to pagan gods! When they arranged to have their promised Messiah murdered publicly --as a criminal not worthy of a resurrection-- that was 'the last straw.' At Christ's death, this was shown several ways . . . there was a notable earthquake, the sun went dark, and, the heavy curtain that separated the Holy from the Most Holy sections in the temple . . . was torn in two, "not by hands." The latter occurrence signifying that the Israelite priesthood had ended, and that Christ would be the new --and permanent-- high priest.

At Luke 13:34-35a, are Jesus' words to the Pharisees regarding the chosen position that the nation of Israel had previously been given. Jesus said:

"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent to her—how often I wanted to gather your children together the way a hen gathers her brood of chicks under her wings! But you did not want it.Look! Your house is abandoned to you."

Jehovah God's chosen people are individuals who choose from the heart to be obedient to his principles & requirements . . . not any particular group of humans due to race, culture, education, or any other criteria.

In fact, Jesus told his faithful followers:

“Have no fear, little flock, for your Father has approved of giving you the Kingdom.” (Luke 12:32)

The earliest members of that group were from the nation of Israel . . . but, soon the group was including many people of the nations, as well . . . because Peter was told in a dream to:

“Stop calling defiled the things God has cleansed.” (Acts 10:15b)

Peter opened his mouth and said: “For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial,
but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.
(Acts 10:34-35)

The 'fear of God' mentioned in the Bible is not fear of punishment, or pain:

"The fear of God is healthful; it is an awe and a profound reverence for the Creator and a wholesome dread of displeasing him. This fear of incurring his displeasure is a result of appreciation of his loving-kindness and goodness together with the realization that he is the Supreme Judge and the Almighty, who has the power to inflict punishment or death upon those who disobey him."
("Insight on the Scriptures")
However, HaShem keeps going after His unfaithful wife and bringing her home...

Old 02-22-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
It amazes me how the Jewish idea of "chosenness" and everyone else's idea of "chosenness" are so different.

Yes, I believe in the Jews being a "Chosen People".
No, I don't think it means what is typically presented outside of Judaism.
What do you think it means?...

Old 02-22-2015, 07:50 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I think the OT is focused on the Israelites - before and after they became Israelites. The Bible does not tell me what, if anything, God did for any group of people in that area at the time - save a few isolated cases where God influenced the other people. Once Jesus came he took in the Gentiles with the Jews of that area. Whatever divisions there were in the OT, they were eliminated by Jesus.
Have you read Genesis? Because God DID choose Abraham from among a bunch of pagans to specifically bless HIM and his descendants. He simply did not put out the same amount of effort to save all the other "ites" around them. He clearly chose the Israelites and no other nation.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:58 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
Are Jews God's chosen people? Considering how Jews have been targeted by people all over the world, including the followers of God's son, and treated as lesser by pretty much everyone, I find it hard to believe. And if they are the Chosen People, obviously the title doesn't do a whole lot of good.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Have you read Genesis? Because God DID choose Abraham from among a bunch of pagans to specifically bless HIM and his descendants. He simply did not put out the same amount of effort to save all the other "ites" around them. He clearly chose the Israelites and no other nation.
They were known as the Hebrews up until Jacob became Israel...

Old 02-22-2015, 09:18 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Do you believe in the idea of The Chosen People?

No. It's silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.