Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:09 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,942,152 times

Advertisements

To many, indoctrinating children into any religion when they are below the age of reason, is a moral turpitude.

Others however, believe it is a requirement to teach their children the same religion that the parents believe in.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 10:42 AM

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times
I think it's wrong.

Would you give dangerous mind-altering drugs to a child? Neither would I.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:52 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
I wouldn't expect any different from you 2.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,568,768 times
Agreed with the first two posts. If you teach your child about religion & they are not capable of understand said religion then it's brainwashing nothing less.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:29 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,626,305 times
We never discussed religion. They are not affiliated to any belief system. What I do know is they would never align themselves with an organization treating women different than men.

The bible has been treated as just another book in our library. It was not the book they read over over again, and we certainly did not expect them to memorize any book they read. Honestly the bible is a dry read.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:39 PM

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
We never discussed religion. They are not affiliated to any belief system. What I do know is they would never align themselves with an organization treating women different than men.
Some Christian denominations do ordain women, if I'm not mistaken. (Sorry for the off-topic post.)

Old 02-20-2015, 12:41 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,640,369 times
I will refuse to -- when the child is old enough (probably around 8-10), I would introduce them to religions of the world and let them choose which path they want to take, if they want to, and I will be in full support of that decision.

That's one of my largest gripes with religion. People believe because their parents believed, and their grandparents believed. You're only Christian/Muslim/Jewish because your family was.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:48 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,626,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Some Christian denominations do ordain women, if I'm not mistaken. (Sorry for the off-topic post.)
There are, and I am pleased. It has been a very slow evolution.

I was invited to a business seminar lunch event in a small NC town. The first question? What church do you belong to? They were serious, so I stopped myself from saying, Heathens INC.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:56 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,048,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
To many, indoctrinating children into any religion when they are below the age of reason, is a moral turpitude.

Others however, believe it is a requirement to teach their children the same religion that the parents believe in.

Discuss.
Wouldn't the answer to this be predictable? Those who have faith in their particular religion will likely teach it to their kids, based on and justified by the nature of their faith. Those who do not share that kind of faith in the religion will think doing so is wrong, that it is brainwashing/indoctrinating the child before true reasoning can be applied, etc.

What else is there to discuss?

Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,668,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Discuss.
I'm surprised cupper...for a guy that takes such exception to the Bible saying things that contradict reality...that you would put forth something like this.
SO...let me help you out by modifying what you wrote so it comports with the way the world really is and has been:
To an infinitesimally small percentage of people, indoctrinating children into any religion when they are below the age of reason, is a moral turpitude.

Most that now live and have ever lived throughout human history however, believe it is proper and preferred to teach their children the same theological and/or spiritual concepts that the parents believe in.

Discuss.

THERE...now it represents REALITY.
Look...I'm sorry that the concept you embrace never has, doesn't, and probably never will have any influence or "mojo" what-so-ever...but you are either gonna have to learn to face that REALITY, or live a life that is all emotionally tweaked out and full of angst over it.
I know how much you guys like "facts"...and religious belief and embrace is gaining on a global level, and once adopted it is typical for one generation to teach it to the next. That IS the FACTS of the issue. You are just gonna hafta try to cope as best you can...cuz you sure aren't gonna do anything to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality