Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:09 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,408,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
To many, indoctrinating children into any religion when they are below the age of reason, is a moral turpitude.

Others however, believe it is a requirement to teach their children the same religion that the parents believe in.

Discuss.

Indoctrination -- to teach children that they must accept what you tell them about religion without question -- is immoral. If it is in any way taught or implied that questioning, or ultimately rejecting, that religion puts them in danger of any form of ostracization or punishment, human or "divine", that is abusive.

Aisi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 01:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,212,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Indoctrination -- to teach children that they must accept what you tell them about religion without question -- is immoral. If it is in any way taught or implied that questioning, or ultimately rejecting, that religion puts them in danger of any form of ostracization or punishment, human or "divine", that is abusive.

Aisi.
We all do that, though. We all impose our own will and our own opinions on others, be it our children or through the legal system and society. The OP even asking the question is suggesting that maybe it's wrong to do it--so he's trying to impose his will on others.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:18 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,408,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We all do that, though. We all impose our own will and our own opinions on others, be it our children or through the legal system and society.
Indoctrination of children is what is being discussed in this thread. It is wrong to tell children they must not question or reject religious beliefs or risk being ostracized by you or condemned by God.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Indoctrination of children is what is being discussed in this thread. It is wrong to tell children they must not question or reject religious beliefs or risk being ostracized by you or condemned by God.
Agreed.

That is abuse.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:27 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm surprised cupper...for a guy that takes such exception to the Bible saying things that contradict reality...that you would put forth something like this.
SO...let me help you out by modifying what you wrote so it comports with the way the world really is and has been:
To an infinitesimally small percentage of people, indoctrinating children into any religion when they are below the age of reason, is a moral turpitude.

Most that now live and have ever lived throughout human history however, believe it is proper and preferred to teach their children the same theological and/or spiritual concepts that the parents believe in.

Discuss.

THERE...now it represents REALITY.
Look...I'm sorry that the concept you embrace never has, doesn't, and probably never will have any influence or "mojo" what-so-ever...but you are either gonna have to learn to face that REALITY, or live a life that is all emotionally tweaked out and full of angst over it.
I know how much you guys like "facts"...and religious belief and embrace is gaining on a global level, and once adopted it is typical for one generation to teach it to the next. That IS the FACTS of the issue. You are just gonna hafta try to cope as best you can...cuz you sure aren't gonna do anything to change it.
True story---

Once upon a time, a woman taught her children to cook leg of lamb. Every time, she cooked leg of lamb, she took a clever ,and chopped off the end of the leg. This method was passed to children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.
One day the youngest was helping her mother cook a leg of lamb. The child asked why the bone was chopped of, and the mother told the girl it was the way it has always been done.
The real reason for great grandmother chopping the bone off was it was just too big for the pan.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:12 PM

18,505 posts, read 9,181,750 times
Quote:
We all do that, though. We all impose our own will and our own opinions on others, be it our children or through the legal system and society. The OP even asking the question is suggesting that maybe it's wrong to do it--so he's trying to impose his will on others.
Questioning the imposition of will is not an imposition of will.

Nice try, though.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
To many, indoctrinating children into any religion when they are below the age of reason, is a moral turpitude.

Others however, believe it is a requirement to teach their children the same religion that the parents believe in.

Discuss.
It is wrong to teach them these fairy tales as truth.
However, teaching it as allegories, instilling values through examples, etc...nothing wrong with it.

But most people know childhood is optimum brainwashing interval.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:30 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,404 times
Quote:
We impose our wills. We impose our opinions. Only if someone allows that to happen. You are not capable of imposing your will on me. Do you impose your opinion, too?

Not once have I imposed my will on my children. I never thought of chasing them into the tub or to get the bus imposing my will. It is the way we protect and provide for them. Sometimes they don't get a bath, and sometimes they miss the bus. No biggie.

Your words make it seem difficult and unpleasant.

Imposing my will ,and motherhood. Those things do not belong in the same sentence.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-22-2015 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 02-20-2015, 02:46 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,868,707 times
How would I practice my religion without my children learning about it?

When I pray, they ask questions.
When I put on my tallit and lay tefillin, they ask questions.
When I go to service and I'm called to the Torah, they ask questions.
When I study, they ask questions.
When we observe Pesach, Yom Kippur, and all the other yom tovs, they ask questions.

We teach our children our beliefs, whether we intend to or not.
We can also teach them about the beliefs of others, and to use their intellect in deciding what is right for them.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:39 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,370,673 times
Quote:

Discuss.
Okay, let's say this. I'm going to go out and say it, that atheism is also a religion, and as such, it is probably an equal sin to teach that religion is wrong or stupid.

You could conceivably teach this:

"People believe in many different things. Some believe in Buddha, or in reincarnation, or that every rock and tree has a spirit. Some people don't. It doesn't make one or the other right, or one or the other stupid. These are things we can't know, without some insight into the universe. When you grow up, I hope you will commit serious effort to deciding what you believe in."

And leave it at that. Give them access to religious literature, and freedom to make up their own minds. If they express interest in what you practice, do your best to elaborate. But don't heavyhand familial religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality